Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Since you guys are going to Alabama Hills, she can leave her car at the Whitney Portal parking lot ( I think its about a 10 min drive from Alabama Hills). I've left my car there on two separate trips when I backpacked Mt Whitney. Both trips were 5 days long and I didn't have any issues.
If Whitney Portal is too far, we can probably leave the car at Alabama Hills or check with the ranger station in Lone Pine to see if they allow extended parking.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A

Unplanned Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

El Dorado Hills
Member #

Man that sounds like a blast and on my birthday but.....basketball starts this week im coaching my 12 year old and my high schooler starts next week...im out but way cool trip

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I'd be willing to bet you can find some sand dunes where it would be relatively harmless.
@Mademan925 Although you can't drive the Eureka Sand Dunes, there's loose sand on the back side where I've seen vehicles stuck. We've got a couple days to get you stuck!!

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hello folks,

As @ravenplauge mentioned I'll be leading my annual trip to DV on this same weekend. We will have 9-10 vehicles in the group. First night camp on trail will be Friday at Eureka Dunes. Saturday at the Hot Springs or there abouts. Sunday night up in hidden valley.

The Xterra boys will also be camping at Eureka on Friday night.

One of our DV experienced group members ran Dedeckera / Steel pass to the springs in about 5-6 hours. Steel was in good shape (well as good as can be). This was 10 days ago.

Coincidentally our main trail comm will be 146.460 as well. I will be monitoring 146.520 at the same time.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hello folks,

As @ravenplauge mentioned I'll be leading my annual trip to DV on this same weekend. We will have 9-10 vehicles in the group. First night camp on trail will be Friday at Eureka Dunes. Saturday at the Hot Springs or there abouts. Sunday night up in hidden valley.

The Xterra boys will also be camping at Eureka on Friday night.

One of our DV experienced group members ran Dedeckera / Steel pass to the springs in about 5-6 hours. Steel was in good shape (well as good as can be). This was 10 days ago.

Coincidentally our main trail comm will be 146.460 as well. I will be monitoring 146.520 at the same time.
@RobRed Thank you for the good info. If you check our first post, I've layed out our itinerary. By checking yours, looks like we will be a day ahead of you by not camping at Eureka Dunes. Maybe at some point our groups will cross paths.

Reactions: RobRed

JB Umx

Rank I

Enthusiast I

@Narbob I regretfully have to back out. Just found out my kids' school will be closed Wednesday thru Friday next week. Wife has strongly "suggested" a mini family vacation is called for, and she's not quite the overlanding type (yet).

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
@Narbob I regretfully have to back out. Just found out my kids' school will be closed Wednesday thru Friday next week. Wife has strongly "suggested" a mini family vacation is called for, and she's not quite the overlanding type (yet).
Thanks for the heads up. Too bad you won't make it but there's lots of trips planned in the near future hopefully will work out for you. Enjoy your family vacation.

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@RobRed Thank you for the good info. If you check our first post, I've layed out our itinerary. By checking yours, looks like we will be a day ahead of you by not camping at Eureka Dunes. Maybe at some point our groups will cross paths.
You've got a very aggressive schedule... don't forget sunset is around 5.20 pm but I'm sure you guys have plenty of lighting.

APRS will be on - KJ6EVH