Airing down.

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I tell people my rule of of thumb is that the safe minimum pressure number is the same as the rim size. A tire that said xxx/xxR17 would be 17 psi, a 35x12.50-15 would be 15 psi, etc. This makes it so the tire will always tell you what pressure, no matter the vehicle. Yes, many people air down beyond that number without issue, but the people that know that already don't ask me what they should air down to. :wink:

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

Vehicle (weight) would be a factor too. Xpsi on a 2 door jeep is different than on a 4runner which is different than a full size.
Probably more beneficial if people post their aired down pressure compared to manufacturers recommended pressure, or at least what vehicle it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Otter155 and Road

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I run 18psi on my JKUR. My 35x 12.5 Toyo's recommend 45psi min, but I usually keep them at 40 if I'm on pavement.

Reactions: PicNick

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
There are so many variables when airing down. The bast practice, taught at most off road driving schools, is a visual indicator. Air down, until you see the bulge starting. This will happen at different pressures depending on sidewall attributes, weight of vehicle, etc... let your eyes be the judge. The preasure will very between front and rear tires, do to vehicle weight distribution.

MojaveOverland

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Henderson, NV
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YVX
2011 JKU w/Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 and I normally run around 10 psi. Will run 8-9 psi if I know there will be rock crawling involved. (no beadlocks FYI)

Reactions: WrightRunner

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

I'm in a 2016 JKU, I was running 35x12.5x20 and aired down to 12psi with no issues. This was on non beadlocks. I'm now running 37x12.5x17 and air down to 10 psi with no issues. I have beadlocks now but haven't done any serious rock crawling yet so I've only been down to 10.

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Airing down depends on the vehicle weight, tire/wheel size and trail conditions. I can not stress how important airing down is. 1) the comfort inside is so much better because you don't feel every little rock. 2) the off road abilities of your vehicle goes up tremendously. Also consider the speed you are traveling. If you are spending the day below 15mph sidewall heat is not an issue. Don't drive at 20-30mph for extended times with tires that have been aired down.

I have a one ton Chevy dually that I pull a toy box trailer in pure sand. For that I run 20psi front, 15psi rear (20,000 lbs total gross weight) and I air the trailer down to 20psi.

In my old CJ5 days, light vehicle, I would run 9-10psi.

With my current Land Rover with 18" wheels I run 20psi in rocky conditions, 18psi in sandy conditions and 15psi in pure sand.

Don't forget to air down when traveling in snow also!

Galgo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I have Nitto 35x12.50R17 on my FJ. I usually run 32 on hard ball. Mild trails I go down to 20. Rock crawling down to 16. I've gone as low as 12 on the dunes....rides like a Cadillac.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk