Rank I

Contributor III

Vaughan, ON, Canada
First Name
Konstantin
Last Name
Kha
Hi folks,

I know that WP AT3W are not mud tires so cannot go too low on air but from experiences - what is the lowest - safest pressure you’d recommend.

Thx

skwaL

Rank I

Contributor III

Vaughan, ON, Canada
First Name
Konstantin
Last Name
Kha
Basic 12V pump. It’s fairly quick from 30-40 PSI so I assume from 20-22 to 38 shouldn’t be a problem.

And thanks, I was too thinking around 20ish. Kinda scared to go lower

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Hi folks,

I know that WP AT3W are not mud tires so cannot go too low on air but from experiences - what is the lowest - safest pressure you’d recommend.

Thx
Mud tires have NOTHING to do with it....I have had my rig in Falken's booth at a few Overland Expos and talked with their folks many many times...
I have a 7800lb Ford Transit 4x4 (true conversion NOT AWD) and I play in dunes and Baja beaches a bunch....

With my Method Beadgrip wheels I have been under 10psi (at that point why measure) and the tire looks almost completely flat.....and as long as you don't do hard/fast turns or get alot of wheelspin I have been perfectly fine.

Doing some loose climbs or mud/snow I have been around 15psi many many times with no issues.....again don't steer too quickly and you won't come off a bead

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Which wheels you got, dedicated Offroad or just regular rims with Offroad tires.

Not sure if it really matters besides being beadlocked or not
I am running OEM wheels on everything but the Samurai. The Samurai is on Soft 8 steel wheels. It is the lightest vehicle. I also run Wildpeaks on my Touareg, my H3T, and my Suburban. 18-20 psi works pretty well on all of them.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I wouldn't go under 20psi with any brand tire unless some type of bead retention is utilized (bead lock or proven substitute like Method) if I planned on any steep obstacles. You can get away much lower on conventionally designed wheels until you start side loading and then it's coming off.

Downhill, off camber sharp turns are when tires dismount themselves, those are also the worst circumstances to correct the problem under. Correcting the problem is not always "Well, I better air that up"

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
255/80/17 AT3W's on a 4.5k lb truck and I have been down to 8lbs in sand and 12lbs on rocks. I do have bead grip rims.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

18psi with TRD Pro rims on two different 4Runners with no issues. Beach driving.

Reactions: skwaL