Airbags

• HTML tutorial

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Mine bounces a bit too, I'm still experimenting, especially with WD hitch adjustments, but I've run from 5 to 70 psi (100 psi max bags) and there's still always some ill effect.

BigDogKona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Blaine
Last Name
Wiles
Member #

I'm running the AirLift 5000 Ultimates and Daystar Cradles on my truck, really happy with the install compared to the firestone installs I've seen on the same truck, not sure how it compares on the Toyota. On the dodge they utilize the stock bumpstop mounting locations, I drilled and tapped the bottom pad to directly accept the cradle instead of using the brackets that clamp around the axle tube. In my case I wanted as little bracketry in between as possible so as to not limit up travel any more than necessary.
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Nice Power Wagon. :-) What do you tow or carry that requires the airbags?

Reactions: aearles

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Thanks @BigDogKona, I live in a 30' Airstream full-time, that's got a 850lb tongue weight. Plus I carry a lot of crap in the truck with a cap (200lbs), rtt (~170lbs), decked (200lbs), tools (~200lbs?), water, fuel, and a bunch of junk for the trailer so it's usually pretty heavy. I put the airbags on a few months ago but haven't been towing until recently so I'm just starting to experiment now.

Oh, I see now that yours is a wagon too, nice!

Reactions: BigDogKona

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimates with the wireless compressor. It's great for towing but it absolutely limits suspension travel for offroading and is far more harsh on the road. This was accepted by me to make towing my camper safer and more enjoyable. I also tow a heavy enclosed gear trailer and these were a game changer.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimates with the wireless compressor. It's great for towing but it absolutely limits suspension travel for offroading and is far more harsh on the road. This was accepted by me to make towing my camper safer and more enjoyable. I also tow a heavy enclosed gear trailer and these were a game changer.
@Cort, if you add Daystar Cradles your suspension travel should not be limited, and the Ultimates can be run at 0 psi so unloaded ride quality should also not be affected.

I think I've got mine pretty well dialed in now, 20psi for towing, 5psi for general on-road, and 0-5psi for off-road.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
@Cort, if you add Daystar Cradles your suspension travel should not be limited, and the Ultimates can be run at 0 psi so unloaded ride quality should also not be affected.

I think I've got mine pretty well dialed in now, 20psi for towing, 5psi for general on-road, and 0-5psi for off-road.

Ordering now! Thanks!

Reactions: aearles

Willp_07

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, Ca
First Name
Will
Last Name
P
Member #

@Cort I have had Firestones on mine for about 6 months. Full Icon suspension. I occasionally haul a 6k trailer for my foundation at 30psi, daily driving ~5psi depending on load in bed. Rides great. I had to experiment as said above, running too high of a psi will result in the pogo effect.

Most likely going to swap from an AAL to the new Icon leaf pack that's adjustable for the load in the near future.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
@Cort I have had Firestones on mine for about 6 months. Full Icon suspension. I occasionally haul a 6k trailer for my foundation at 30psi, daily driving ~5psi depending on load in bed. Rides great. I had to experiment as said above, running too high of a psi will result in the pogo effect.

Most likely going to swap from an AAL to the new Icon leaf pack that's adjustable for the load in the near future.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I’d love to do a leaf pack once they come out with them for my truck!

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I’d love to do a leaf pack once they come out with them for my truck!
Icon has the add a leaf for my Tacoma. I’ve been really unhappy with the airbags. Super harsh ride over bumps. I deflated them but it doesn’t take much for the axle to hit them and WHAM! It slams hard. So I bought the add a a leaf and the Icon 2.0 shocks. The guys at Icon recommended I leave the airbags in with the add a leaf. They also recommended I leave in the overload spring. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. I really hate it when the truck hits those airbags , but I’m wondering if I might need them when I have an extra heavy load.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Do your Firestone’s replace the factory bump stop, and do they have an internal jounce like the AirLift’s do? I don’t have any harsh engagement problems with mine, feels like stock bumpstops when I deflate to zero psi if I really come down hard in the rear but it’s rare that I touch them at all. Is the engagement still harsh when running 5psi?
The Firestone’s do replace the factory bump stops. So I would have to buy new bumpstops if I remove airbags. I’m also running the Daystar cradles so maybe that’s part of the problem? Running low psi helps, but it doesn’t take much to get those stock springs to hit the airbags. I’m hoping the add a leaf and Icon shocks will help the majority of the problem. My thinking is to remove the overload spring but keep the airbags for big bumps or heavy loads. The guys at Icon obviously know what they are talking about but I don’t want my truck to look like a stinkbug.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
So I’ve installed the cradles and went to a Fox 2.0 level up front and the 2.0 shocks in the rear. I’ve also added a cap. I’ve found that daily driving at 30 psi nets a ride that doesn’t bottom out the airbag and doesn’t pogo. This seemed like a lot of pressure but it’s what works. With the front level there is a slight rake but far less than stock.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

So I’ve installed the cradles and went to a Fox 2.0 level up front and the 2.0 shocks in the rear. I’ve also added a cap. I’ve found that daily driving at 30 psi nets a ride that doesn’t bottom out the airbag and doesn’t pogo. This seemed like a lot of pressure but it’s what works. With the front level there is a slight rake but far less than stock.
Good feedback. Thank you. Your leaf springs are stock?

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Decided to put airbags to help manage the load of camping gear on my '16 Tacoma. For those of you running airbags, which brands do you recommend? Anyone have the Airlift or Firestone setup?

Airbags are great on the road but not off road. You might be overloading your rig. Once you install the airbags, air lines, fittings and compressor you will need to carry shares of these new items. Upgrade your suspension and look at what your carrying.