Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I have had several air rifles, I like the Crosman 1077 CO2 the best for general all round plinking. CO2 has some disadvantages but in my mind they are overcome by convenience. The CO2 cartridges are not too expensive when purchased in the larger count boxes, but for sure, they add to the cost of using the rifle. The pellet magazine is a 12 shot rotary design and you can purchase additional magazines. The 1077 has been reliable and is very accurate for the first 20 ~ 25 shots from a newly inserted CO2 cartridge. I use the iron sights but the rifle is rail grooved for a scope. At a little under 4 pounds most anyone can hold it, the fore stock and butt are of average length, a 10 to 12 year old will very likely be able to properly sight it. The .177 caliber pellet can be purchased in several head shapes and weights making the rifle usable for target shooting to small varmint hunting. Anyway, I have liked this rifle for about tens years and intend to keep it.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ya'll have got me wanting to get into a half decent air rifle for plinking at home. I've got some gas powered blow back airsoft guns that are replicas of my primary rifle and handgun, I use for at home training when I can't get to the range or just want to practice mag changes other drills.

Would be fun to shoot 100 yards on compressed air ha.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ya'll have got me wanting to get into a half decent air rifle for plinking at home. I've got some gas powered blow back airsoft guns that are replicas of my primary rifle and handgun, I use for at home training when I can't get to the range or just want to practice mag changes other drills.

Would be fun to shoot 100 yards on compressed air ha.
Those Benjamin Sheridans are no joke i had one when i was a kid and dispatched plenty of squirrels at more than 100yards. 20 pumps and you have a 22lr basically and you arms will get jacked.

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
I have a Crosman Optimus .22 break barrel. I like it, shoots solid, feels solid, has decent (for what it is) hitting power with the right ammo. With the wrong ammo, it is a scatter gun.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did actually pick up an air rifle finally. I took it on my last trip to the Ouchitas and enjoyed having it along quite a bit. Made for some evening entertainment. Gamo Wisper 10X in .22 cal. Certainly not high end but seems to be quite accurate. I've hit my steel 2/3 sized silhouette gongs at 100 yards after I figured out elevation but mostly keep it 50 yards and less.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I should take out my rifle... it’s been years since I had my Chinese Air Rifle out...

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I have a Gamo Big Cat. Break barrel. Not stealthy at all, about as loud as a .22lr, but it's great for taking small grouse and rabbit and not wasting .22 ammo.
Same here. Love this rifle. Works great for those pesky barn swallows, too.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Purely an entry level air rifle, yet the Benjamin Discovery .22 has been a very nice rifle for reducing the VC (vicious chipmunks) population. Needed a couple easy mods to make it accurate. The suppressor brings it down to a low pop!

I've always thought that when I do buy another I'll go up a notch and buy .25 or .30.