Air Rifles

• HTML tutorial

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Im looking at buying an air rifle and I'm hoping for some input from you fine folks. I want something cheap to shoot that I don't need a range for to keep my skills sharp, and I want to be able to do some pest control. I've looked some at the Crosman rifles but not much more. Thoughts?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have a 5mm (.20 caliber) Sheridan Blue Streak from 1961. It is still sold as the Benjamin 392 (.22 cal) and 397 (.177 cal) for around $150. Here's an Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1lY4qWJ

You vary the pressure by how many times you pump. Ten pumps is about maximum.

Here's mine

I also have a Daisy Red Ryder, an old Daisy Model 29, and a new commemorative Daisy 29, all BB guns.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Good idea. I was going to get my 8 year old daughter a bb gun, but an air rifle might be a better option.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a 5mm (.20 caliber) Sheridan Blue Streak from 1961. It is still sold as the Benjamin 392 (.22 cal) and 397 (.177 cal) for around $150. Here's an Amazon link: http://amzn.to/1lY4qWJ

Here's mine

I also have a Daisy Red Ryder, an old Daisy Model 29, and a new commemorative Daisy 29, all BB guns.
You seem to have all the cool toys.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Good idea. I was going to get my 8 year old daughter a bb gun, but an air rifle might be a better option.
One thing I like about the pump pellet guns vs CO2 for kids, is the strength required to pump it. When first starting out, they most likely can't pump it up to fire, so no messing about with it. By the time they are old enough, or have a lot of father/kid practice under their belt, then they will have the strength to use it on their own.

When my youngest daughter first started using it, she would rest the forestock on a bar stool, and shouldered the buttstock to aim, as she was too small to support the whole thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryl 32 and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
One thing I like about the pump pellet guns vs CO2 for kids, is the strength required to pump it. When first starting out, they most likely can't pump it up to fire, so no messing about with it. By the time they are old enough, or have a lot of father/kid practice under their belt, then they will have the strength to use it on their own.

When my youngest daughter first started using it, she rested the forestock on a bar stool, and shouldered the buttstock to aim, as she was too small to support the whole thing.
Great advice. My original thought was a Cricket 22lr, but then I don't want her shooting live ammo yet. Something like this she would be able to shoot in the back yard. I want my daughter to learn proper gun safety and practices.

Reactions: Marine7

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My original thought was a Cricket 22lr,
I bought an Oregon Arms Chipmunk .22 LR single shot when my eldest daughter was small. First, the quality was pretty bad, so it misfired a lot, which frustrated her (and me.) But more importantly, she outgrew it pretty quickly, so it sat for nine years until the second daughter used it for a short time. Unless the Crickett has stock extensions, or you have several kids, it might be something to keep in mind.

Google image for size comparison

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
You can't imagine all the stuff I've collected over the years. I don't have a clue how my wife has put up with me for nearly 35 years. :hearteyes:
Lol, I've only been married a few years but my wife is tired of my junk. I've been selling a lot off on ebay and Facebook. Lost track of how many guns I had. So I've been selling a few of those off too. I'm trying to lighten the load so someday we can fit all our possessions in an RV and live on the road. Might not be realistic, but would be fun.

Marine7

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wilmington NC
Member #

Being a retired infantry Marine, all I ask everyone is that if you have children around use locks, vaults, and most importantly....education to teach them about weapons. Respect them..... But, Don't fear them!
As far as air rifles go, they have some really nice ones out now. The "sniper" rifles, and the "scout" rifle come to mind. I've always preferred Crossman, I've had good luck with the Crossman pump that shoots either bb's or pellets. They also increase range and power depending on how many pumps you put on it. Just don't pump over 10 times (pretty sure it's 10 times)or you might blow out the seals in it! My wife's uncle and I used to shoot the heads off wooden matches, that is fun!
Either way good luck, and be Safe! GySgt U

Reactions: Daryl 32

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
The crossman rat catcher is great value and a cracking vermin gun i own a BSA ULTRA PCP For rat rabbit and sqirrel

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Here's mine

I only wish that Benjamin was the same quality as your beauty here! It's gone a bit down hill in the past 10 or so years.. BUT - if you can find a Benjamin made in the 90's or earlier - do it!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I picked up a Gamo Whisper break-barrel a few years ago and the only complaint I have is that it's a break-barrel, so it's a single shot. It's fairly light and accurate and popped the head off of a nasty crow tormenting the rabbits in my yard. I bought it blindly - it was originally around $500 and was on super sale - I got it for around $129. No major regrets.

Reactions: Atlost67 and O.Dfj

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I just went with my son last night to buy a pellet gun to rid ourselves of a rodent issue.
Gamo purchased at Big5, around $140, break-barrel, spring. I can't remember the model name but it wasn't the cheapest of Gamo line.
Fun little rifle, comes with a scope but no sights, and the scope is pretty junk.

I now currently covet the Whisper that I could have picked up for $249 but decided I didn't need another gun just now.

Clerk at Big5 didn't have nice things to say about Crossman or Daisy, thought Gamo and Benjamin higher end guns were the better choice.

FWIW, YMMV. Dan.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I just went with my son last night to buy a pellet gun to rid ourselves of a rodent issue.
Gamo purchased at Big5, around $140, break-barrel, spring. I can't remember the model name but it wasn't the cheapest of Gamo line.
Fun little rifle, comes with a scope but no sights, and the scope is pretty junk.

I now currently covet the Whisper that I could have picked up for $249 but decided I didn't need another gun just now.

Clerk at Big5 didn't have nice things to say about Crossman or Daisy, thought Gamo and Benjamin higher end guns were the better choice.

FWIW, YMMV. Dan.
I have the same problem. No sights, scope is junk. Also, mine is uncomfortably heavy. Best fired from sitting or prone position. The hood of my truck is a good spot too :-)

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Winchester model 1400CS break action pellet rifle. "The Pigeon Plucker"

I should note that this rifle is a Daisy branded with the Winchester name, presumably under license.

It's a .177 caliber single shot break action that claims 1400 fps with alloy pellets. Rough claims of 325 yards, but internet reviews say best accuracy under 100 yards. I'm assuming a better scope could help in this regard.

I'm using flathead lead slugs for pigeon hunting and can claim 3 bagged birds since purchase in early spring, one at about 30 yards. The scope is finicky AF. The sound suppressor on the muzzle end is nice, it's quiet for a springload