Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

How'd you manage to do this? Since I'm local to Opus' U.S. facility in Pittsburg, I went over and talked with Paul about 6 months ago. But not only did he tell me that I could not buy directly from him, he also couldn't show me anything about the trailers because of concerns over my "safety" in and around the shop - he referred me to the closest RV dealership. Okay fine, I begrudgingly went over there and found out that their salesmen turned out to know even less about the trailers than I did. Instead of getting my own questions answered, I wound up educating them all about the different models. Paul lost a sale because of this experience, but I guess I'm still interested in the trailer since I'm perusing this thread.
I have agree. Any manufacturer with 20 Dealers always protects the Dealers by refusing to sell direct.

af6ho

Rank I

Contributor III

San Jose, CA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
AF6HO
Hey all! Hoping to see more on this thread, I'm also considering an Opus 2-sleeper. Looking for info on experiences towing and using the trailer, especially offroad.
Recently came back from a death valley trip to saline valley and this is a key example of a location I'd love to be able to tow one of these into, seems like there's nothing on the North pass that would prevent me from getting this trailer in there, but at 16'+ it's definitely longer than the shortie military trailers and teardrops I saw out in death valley during my visit.

Any problems with the trailer that owners have already experienced?
Dealership experience?
Offroad experience? (Tire pressures used offroad, etc?)

Also seems like if I've done my math correct, the trailer is about 4" wider than a 5th gen 4runner?

Miller8152

Rank IV

Advocate III

Moorpark, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Hey all! Hoping to see more on this thread, I'm also considering an Opus 2-sleeper. Looking for info on experiences towing and using the trailer, especially offroad.
Recently came back from a death valley trip to saline valley and this is a key example of a location I'd love to be able to tow one of these into, seems like there's nothing on the North pass that would prevent me from getting this trailer in there, but at 16'+ it's definitely longer than the shortie military trailers and teardrops I saw out in death valley during my visit.

Any problems with the trailer that owners have already experienced?
Dealership experience?
Offroad experience? (Tire pressures used offroad, etc?)

Also seems like if I've done my math correct, the trailer is about 4" wider than a 5th gen 4runner?
I have 2 Sleeper OPUS and I have not had any issues with hauling it with my 4runner. Granted I re-geared to 4.88s, but even before I re-geared, it was not an issue. Offroad wise, just make sure you have the right RATED recovery for your vehicle and trailer (Weight) should you need to recover. As far as off-road trailers go, it is a heavier option, but a more luxurious one. Most of the issues that pop up are unique to each individual trailer. There is 'opus camper owners group' Facebook page that talks a lot about Dealer issue, troubleshoot, trailer hacks, and other mods.

af6ho

Rank I

Contributor III

San Jose, CA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
AF6HO
I have 2 Sleeper OPUS and I have not had any issues with hauling it with my 4runner. Granted I re-geared to 4.88s, but even before I re-geared, it was not an issue. Offroad wise, just make sure you have the right RATED recovery for your vehicle and trailer (Weight) should you need to recover. As far as off-road trailers go, it is a heavier option, but a more luxurious one. Most of the issues that pop up are unique to each individual trailer. There is 'opus camper owners group' Facebook page that talks a lot about Dealer issue, troubleshoot, trailer hacks, and other mods.
Awesome, I'll check out the group! Recovery is another topic I definitely hoped would come up - What do you use?

Miller8152

Rank IV

Advocate III

Moorpark, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Awesome, I'll check out the group! Recovery is another topic I definitely hoped would come up - What do you use?
Warn 10-s Platnium, MaxxTraxx (6 - one for each wheel on the ground) and block and pully setup rated for a 5:1 pull in any angle. I leave the manual 5000lb rated winch on the back of the trailer just in case I need to pull the trailer out from the rear when unhitched. I keep the gear for the trailer, on the trailer, separate from the 4runner so I don't take one and forget the other. Hopefully, I won't need it but you never know.

Reactions: Boort

Contributor I

MaxxTraxx (6 - one for each wheel on the ground)
This is great advice. I don't have 6 traction boards, I only carry 2, but they have proven to be tremendously useful with my highly modified Lifetime Tent Trailer, which I drag through pretty tough trails that it has no business being on. On tight, boulder-strewn trails, your tow vehicle may make it around a turn just fine, but since the trailer cuts to the inside of any given turn, there's oftentimes no room to get the trailer to follow a good line, putting it into a boulder it can't climb. I've used the traction boards as ramps for the trailer tires many times, allowing the trailer to climb up and over whatever obstacles it hasn't had room to get over.

Reactions: Brewbud