Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I was wondering if anyone uses an air jack? From what I have read and seen they are easier and safer than a high lift. I do not think I would replace my high lift, just curious if it is worth the investment to add to my recovery gear.

Reactions: Cottonwoody

ManWithJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Aaa
Member #

They're definitely useful, especially in situations where a high-lift can't be used (or is just too dangerous to be used). Heavy mud, steep inclines, deep snow all come to mind.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
For various reasons, I am thinking of replacing my hi lift with one.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I would rellay like to know why?
Egan, easier to store in or on the vehicle. Reduced weight. Can be used on vehicles without jacking points and without the limitation of only having the wheel with the lift-mate. Safer.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

GreenMachine02

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Oakwood, Ohio
Member #

So I have used a Hi-Lift in the past and I do like them, but I was looking for an easier and perhaps safer way of lifting my FJ. After doing a little bit of research I stumbled upon these Air Bag "Jacks". I found one on Amazon for fairly cheap:

I wanted to know though if anyone has any experience with these. Getting into trouble where you have to use a hi-lift is bad enough, but then relying on something like this and having it fail can turn a bad situation even worse. Thanks all!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I have the ARB X-Jack and love it. There is no place to use a high lift safely on the WJ.

With the X-Jack you can lift on less than perfect footing as well. One thing, if you are going to lift at one end or the other, you may need to chock the wheels and lock the brakes. The X-Jack can roll and if the ground isn't level the whole end you are lifting will pivot downhill. Lifting a side is much safer as the side on the ground will prevent any sideways motion.

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I've used one (X-Jack) a couple times. I want to get one for myself but I would not consider it a replacement for a hi-lift. For changing a tire they are generally safer/faster/easier. But the Hi-lift is far more versatile for trail repairs and recovery.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have an ARB X-Jack that I carry in addtion to my Hi-Lift on long remote trips, it packs up pretty flat so why not eh. I don't have a winch so I rely more on my Hi-lift, which I've used twice for recovery, and numerous wheel removals for various reasons. I consider it a wothwhile investment, especially if you don't have any viable points to use a Hi-Lift on. I still have not used the X-Jack beyond testing though so...

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
I've been rocking the X-Jack for approx 10 years. It's been utilized dozens of time particularly in mud and snow where a Hi-Lift lacks even with a base. My #1 go to is still the original Toyota bottle jack if possible.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I love my ARB X-Jack. It is a life saver in soft sand and mud. I use it to jack up one side at a time, to place my MaxTrax. Does a great job.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have also been Thinking of buying one :)
how heavy duty ar they?
I have abused mine. Almost using it as an inflatable bridge. I do not recommend this, but it did the job. You are only suppose to use it in soft surfaces. I have used it to get over undercuts, in the rocks. I'm sure I will destroy it one of these days. Then I will know just how much damage it can take.

Reactions: ABerte and Ingvarhh

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have abused mine. Almost using it as an inflatable bridge. I do not recommend this, but it did the job. You are only suppose to use it in soft surfaces. I have used it to get over undercuts, in the rocks. I'm sure I will destroy it one of these days. Then I will know just how much damage it can take.
Any pictures or video of using it this way?

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Any pictures or video of using it this way?

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app
I never think of pulling out my camera when I'm on the trail. I'm just not from the generations of taking selfie's. LOL I wish I did, I'm trying to change this. I just installed some GoPro's on my jeep. I will just let them run, and change out the flash ass needed. Let my Daughter do all the editing.

Eric Haltom

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Haltom
Last Name
Family
Member #

So out of curiosity, once you get a hilift, xjack, bottle jack or any kind of jack to lift your rig, do you get rid of the factory scissor jack to shed the weight, or do you just leave it? I imagine there is never anything wrong with redundancy, I'm just curious to know what the majority of you do.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
So out of curiosity, once you get a hilift, xjack, bottle jack or any kind of jack to lift your rig, do you get rid of the factory scissor jack to shed the weight, or do you just leave it? I imagine there is never anything wrong with redundancy, I'm just curious to know what the majority of you do.
Great questions. I pulled it out, because I'm trying to reduce weight. I use the mounting space for stashing other tools. Since I carry two jacks/jack-stands, the OEM jack is redundant. Their are a couple other threads about HiLift vs other jack options, that have been very active.

Reactions: Eric Haltom

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I stumbled upon a stuck Jeep Renegade up in Crested Butte a couple weeks back where I really wish I would have had an inflatable jack. The vehicle had slid off a narrow road and nearly into a creek. It had no recovery points. It was high centered under the engine. An air jack could have lifted it up to allow stacking rocks under the wheels and probably driven out.

I ended up winching it out by attaching to its wheel. While it worked it was definitely not my preferred method.

On a side note. This Renegade did not have a spare tire/jack/recovery points. While I'm not familiar with the different trim levels I'm going to assume it was the entry level. If your going to go explore the back country in this type of vehicle please make sure you have some of the basics. What I found most appalling was that the Jeeep did not even have the little threaded eyelet that screws in front or back for recovery. It had the places for it but the actual eyelet was an option according to the owners manual. This advice applies to all in AWD type vehicles which I see more of every year out on the trails.

IMG_7677.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I stumbled upon a stuck Jeep Renegade up in Crested Butte a couple weeks back where I really wish I would have had an inflatable jack. The vehicle had slid off a narrow road and nearly into a creek. It had no recovery points. It was high centered under the engine. An air jack could have lifted it up to allow stacking rocks under the wheels and probably driven out.

I ended up winching it out by attaching to its wheel. While it worked it was definitely not my preferred method.

On a side note. This Renegade did not have a spare tire/jack/recovery points. While I'm not familiar with the different trim levels I'm going to assume it was the entry level. If your going to go explore the back country in this type of vehicle please make sure you have some of the basics. What I found most appalling was that the Jeeep did not even have the little threaded eyelet that screws in front or back for recovery. It had the places for it but the actual eyelet was an option according to the owners manual. This advice applies to all in AWD type vehicles which I see more of every year out on the trails.
Did you point him to OB web site, so he can learn how to Outfit and Explore? Lol... Probably just didn't know better. A little education is needed.