Air Compressor

• HTML tutorial

94YJBeaver

Rank II

Advocate II

I have a small ARB Which can handle airing up my tires as well lockers...My small ARB was about $275.00

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Seen a 3 cylinder this week that was pto driven... bout 450 lbs

Nuts....

I am gonna stick the money back for the ARB. I've seen them in action and I think they are the best.

Then find an old air compressor that is broken. "The Dewalt with 2 cylindrical tanks is best" then mount one or two of them under the rig.

2.5 gal will have enough volume to handle anything you'll encounter... at least that's my plan.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

+ 1 for the ARB under the hood. I have mine tankless with a variable blowoff valve so that I can run it through the sPod without blowing out the compressor or pulling too much amperage under load. I love it.

Contributor I

+ 1 for the ARB under the hood. I have mine tankless with a variable blowoff valve so that I can run it through the sPod without blowing out the compressor or pulling too much amperage under load. I love it.
Since I'm not really familiar with custom air compressor set ups would you be willing to post up some pictures of how you went about doing this? I like the way it sounds!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

Since I'm not really familiar with custom air compressor set ups would you be willing to post up some pictures of how you went about doing this? I like the way it sounds!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Here you go... First shot is the positioning, driver's side, the ARB compressor mounts on my master brake cylinder. This model comes with a huge wire harness that is designed to be used with the included relay. The relay is used with the (included) pressure switch that will shut the unit off when not in use or under pressure draw. It keeps it from burning out the compressor or blowing out the mini silver tank that is included as part of the unit. Because I wanted to control the compressor with the SPOD, using the relay wasn't practical BUT I had to figure out a way to keep the compressor from burning out without the auto shutoff protection with the relay.

This next picture is a better shot of the variable blowoff valve that I got on Amazon (link here). It fits right in to the same 1/4" hole that the relay would normally be attached to. You can see on the valve that it says 100 and has increments down to 70 PSI. It will go to zero and you can dial it in wherever you need depending on what you're inflating. If I'm doing tires that have a 44PSI recommendation, I'll put it at 60 or so - just enough to give me enough pressure to inflate to where I need, yet open and let off pressure when I'm not inflating. If I'm inflating an air mattress or some river tube, I'll crank it down to 20 or so. It just turns by hand.

Eliminating the relay also eliminated 80% of the wiring needed. I cut the wiring for the relay off and it left me with a positive and negative that run to the SPOD. You can see the simple red and black harness below. That's it.

So there's a switch inside the Jeep for turning the compressor on and off via the SPOD, but I also went with the blue tooth option so I could turn it on and off with my iPhone. Now I can hook up the hose to the tire, pop open the app and turn the compressor on and off, then move around the Jeep, air up all 4 tires without having to reach inside constantly. Screen shot of app below.

I'm not going to lie, this setup rocks my world for what I need it to do. Of course this would all be different if I was going to run an external tank. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Reactions: Pippinized

Contributor I

Here you go... First shot is the positioning, driver's side, the ARB compressor mounts on my master brake cylinder. This model comes with a huge wire harness that is designed to be used with the included relay. The relay is used with the (included) pressure switch that will shut the unit off when not in use or under pressure draw. It keeps it from burning out the compressor or blowing out the mini silver tank that is included as part of the unit. Because I wanted to control the compressor with the SPOD, using the relay wasn't practical BUT I had to figure out a way to keep the compressor from burning out without the auto shutoff protection with the relay.

This next picture is a better shot of the variable blowoff valve that I got on Amazon (link here). It fits right in to the same 1/4" hole that the relay would normally be attached to. You can see on the valve that it says 100 and has increments down to 70 PSI. It will go to zero and you can dial it in wherever you need depending on what you're inflating. If I'm doing tires that have a 44PSI recommendation, I'll put it at 60 or so - just enough to give me enough pressure to inflate to where I need, yet open and let off pressure when I'm not inflating. If I'm inflating an air mattress or some river tube, I'll crank it down to 20 or so. It just turns by hand.

Eliminating the relay also eliminated 80% of the wiring needed. I cut the wiring for the relay off and it left me with a positive and negative that run to the SPOD. You can see the simple red and black harness below. That's it.

So there's a switch inside the Jeep for turning the compressor on and off via the SPOD, but I also went with the blue tooth option so I could turn it on and off with my iPhone. Now I can hook up the hose to the tire, pop open the app and turn the compressor on and off, then move around the Jeep, air up all 4 tires without having to reach inside constantly. Screen shot of app below.

I'm not going to lie, this setup rocks my world for what I need it to do. Of course this would all be different if I was going to run an external tank. Let me know if you have additional questions.

I'm going to do some research on the SPOD. never even heard of it till now... Another day, another learning opportunity! I like the simple size of the set up. My personal preference, I don't like that you have to open the hood to attach your hose, but it's extremely functional still! Thank you for the pictures.

First State Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Delaware
Member #

I'm going to do some research on the SPOD. never even heard of it till now... Another day, another learning opportunity! I like the simple size of the set up. My personal preference, I don't like that you have to open the hood to attach your hose, but it's extremely functional still! Thank you for the pictures.
No problem. As you'll see, they do make SPODs that don't have the fancy touch screen and are a lot cheaper that do the same thing. Regarding the opening of the hood, if you wanted, you could probably run a connector line from the unit out to an external location so keep that in mind too.

Cheers,

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I run my CKMTA12 inside the X in the rear, on a little bracket I fabbed, later I can add the manifold to the same bracket. As for noise, with it in the rear the sound in the car is not bad at all, even with it running when airing up tires, its not going to cause hearing damage and does not rattle the truck loose or anything. Ive used it to air up a few trucks tires when out wheeling and it is FAST, I am half tempted to see if the air can go in faster than the Staun deflators can take the air out since I have dual valve stems on the bully pro rims.

OverLandWj

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been running a viair setup in my wj for a few years and it's been great. I ran lines to the front and back of my rig and the kit came with I believe a 3 gal tank. It's the "extreme duty" kit that has 100% duty cycle and 200psi.

Seems to run great. Fills fast and always works. Was like $350 when I got it on sale.

BrandonY

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been running a viair setup in my wj for a few years and it's been great. I ran lines to the front and back of my rig and the kit came with I believe a 3 gal tank. It's the "extreme duty" kit that has 100% duty cycle and 200psi.

Seems to run great. Fills fast and always works. Was like $350 when I got it on sale.
I wasn't sure if you could run an air horn/air suspension tank and compressor or not

OverLandWj

Rank 0

Traveler I

I wasn't sure if you could run an air horn/air suspension tank and compressor or not
I do have an air horn and I rarely use it but it works great. It's all in the plumbing. Pretty much any of them can probably run a horn and or lockers/suspension. Just a matter of making sure there are no air leaks and tanks fill quick enough if you have a tank.

E

expeditionnorth

I have a MF1050 mounted in the spare battery area, this pic was my test fit

BrandonY

Rank 0

Traveler I

I do have an air horn and I rarely use it but it works great. It's all in the plumbing. Pretty much any of them can probably run a horn and or lockers/suspension. Just a matter of making sure there are no air leaks and tanks fill quick enough if you have a tank.
I should clarify better, I meant use one for tires and what not