Air Compressor

• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I have seen and am thinking about plumbing in a holding tank on the under side of the FJ in the rear. The though is I have an additional amount of air to either fill up tires faster or use for blowing out the air filter, use air tools if needed. I am currently running a single ARB and am out of room to upgrade to the dual; in a protected spot that is.

It would be a nice to have. Has anyone else added this to their rigs or just open for thoughts.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have seen and am thinking about plumbing in a holding tank on the under side of the FJ in the rear. The though is I have an additional amount of air to either fill up tires faster or use for blowing out the air filter, use air tools if needed. I am currently running a single ARB and am out of room to upgrade to the dual; in a protected spot that is.

It would be a nice to have. Has anyone else added this to their rigs or just open for thoughts.
Check with Don, don't think he is on these forums, for what he built for his FJ. He fabricated a frame for a tank and compressor under his rear bumper. It was pretty slick. I'm sure he still has photos.

Here's the thread on the blue forums:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/235201-extremeaire-compressor-install.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnermoose

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I use the older model ARB compressor that came as part of the AirLocker kit. Not fast but it does the job. I've also heard good things about the VIAIR http://www.viaircorp.com/

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Gunner, @Mad Garden Gnome is building one into his rear bumper...check out his build!

Reactions: Gunnermoose

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Looks good, whats with the bike cable lock coming out of the hood? Bumper theft prevention?

Also just a little heads up. The wire ziptied to the SS braided line may chafe and wear thru causing other issues. Wrapping the SS line with electrical tape then doing what you did is fine since the tape can not move on the SS braid and wear thru. Still a great setup man and a good setup as well.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Looks good, whats with the bike cable lock coming out of the hood? Bumper theft prevention?
Cables coming off the bumper are limb savers, stowed under the hood when not in use.

Also just a little heads up. The wire ziptied to the SS braided line may chafe and wear thru causing other issues. Wrapping the SS line with electrical tape then doing what you did is fine since the tape can not move on the SS braid and wear thru. Still a great setup man and a good setup as well.
Ya, another forum member advised me against routing the wires there as well. I have since rerouted them away from the braided air line.

Reactions: Kent R

TrippinStfflr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Rock Island, TN, USA
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Stiffler
Go with either Viair or ARB. They cost more but well worth the money. The cheaper brands are poorly built and have low duty cycles. Dont be fooled by "high" output cheap brands. They might fill a tire a couple seconds faster but the poor construction is gonna cost you in the long run. Ask me how I know. Now Im having to eat $150 plus come up with a couple hundred more to get a real compressor. Lesson learned.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

If you still need optioms, I am super happy with my Puma 12v compressor. I made a little spider setup to inflate or deflate all 4 tires together. It will inflate all four 33s on 16" wheels from 15 to 40 PSI in 9.5 minutes. Though, I have mostly used it for blowing up beach balls and floaties :P .

On ebay for $235 shipped.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283005940134

20180306_093301-600x800.jpg 20170402_114752-800x600.jpg