Affordable strong synthetic winch ropes

• HTML tutorial

EddieV

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maryland
Member #

This the Ranger synthetic rope from Amazon. Hook looks heavy duty, makes mine look like a toy, hopefully the steel is good quality. All I can see is the rope protector, it is very tight on the rope and heavier than expected. Shipping weight was 7lbs. Will see if it all fits in the winch later today

IMG_5141.JPG IMG_5142.JPG IMG_5143.JPG IMG_5144.JPG

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Working Load Limit (WLL) on that hook is 3.2T? Am I reading that right? Seems like it should be more than that.
Aren't typical 3/4" D-Rings WLL 4.7T or something?

EddieV

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maryland
Member #

Not sure, but the line didn't fit, not even close to fitting, it should be labeled as tow truck winch rope. It's going back.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I looked up that line on Amazon. Seems like the Dyneema is 1/2" and then the jacket goes over it making it even thicker(?). The picture does say "Warning this rope is huge".

Usually you want the line to birdcage, where you push it together with both hands and you can inspect the inside of the line. Internal abrasion damage can go unnoticed if you don't check it. That jacket prevents access to the line and would be almost impossible to wash as well.

EddieV

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Maryland
Member #

I went ahead and bought a line from Custom Splice, 3/8 100ft of their diamond line, and it fit the 12k vortex winch. Hopefully it performs as well as the cable did. Thanks everyone for all you suggestions and guidance.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I got 100 foot 5/16 line synthetic for $100 off Amazon with 13000 lb strength on my 9000 pound Waren winch already put to use pulled out a full size Dodge Berry to the doors in mud no problem if the Rope is rated for a certain pounds you should be okay regardless of price!!51aC-lmBfrL._SY400_.jpg 20170723_203908.jpg

Last edited:

afootorafloatLJ

Rank VIII
Launch Member
Supporter

Trail Blazer I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Calhoun
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7FKK
I run Viking 3/8 by 125 feet rated for better than 18000 pounds which more than my 8000 pound which will do with a snatch block. $370. I would be very skeptical of discount lines.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

I'm not going to read the entire thread, but if it hasn't been covered when switching from Cable to Synthetic, be sure to switch from a Roller Fairlead to Hause.
Otherwise your synthetic rope will fray and break due to grooves in the roller fairlead.

Reactions: Road

Bob Green

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ran across this forum looking for the same thing and just thought I would post my find. I ordered one.

145.00 Dollars

Grey 3/4″ X 92′ Synthetic Winch Rope With Rock Guard- 17,500lb Capacity

The Tuff Stuff® 3/4″ Thick x 92 ft. Long Synthetic winch rope is not only the strongest synthetic rope available, but is now even more durable with it’s new rock shield. It is a 14 strand braided rope utilizing the best synthetic fiber which is near identical to Dyneema. The Macromolecular Polyethylene material used to construct these ropes enables very low elongation and is 40% – 50% stronger than wire cables and most importantly will NOT recoil if broken!

The Tuff Stuff® brand of synthetic rope resists UV radiation, water, temperature variation and therefore has a long service life. The Rock shield protects the rope from wear and abrasion. This rope can also be used with a Tuff Stuff® Recovery Winches and many other brands of self-recovery winches on the market. It comes with a Steel Eyelet, which can be attached to a hook or D ring shackle.

http://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/grey-34″-synthetic-winch-rope-with-rock-guard/

Reactions: VCeXpedition

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Ran across this forum looking for the same thing and just thought I would post my find. I ordered one.

145.00 Dollars

Grey 3/4″ X 92′ Synthetic Winch Rope With Rock Guard- 17,500lb Capacity

The Tuff Stuff® 3/4″ Thick x 92 ft. Long Synthetic winch rope is not only the strongest synthetic rope available, but is now even more durable with it’s new rock shield. It is a 14 strand braided rope utilizing the best synthetic fiber which is near identical to Dyneema. The Macromolecular Polyethylene material used to construct these ropes enables very low elongation and is 40% – 50% stronger than wire cables and most importantly will NOT recoil if broken!

The Tuff Stuff® brand of synthetic rope resists UV radiation, water, temperature variation and therefore has a long service life. The Rock shield protects the rope from wear and abrasion. This rope can also be used with a Tuff Stuff® Recovery Winches and many other brands of self-recovery winches on the market. It comes with a Steel Eyelet, which can be attached to a hook or D ring shackle.

http://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/grey-34″-synthetic-winch-rope-with-rock-guard/
What kind of winch do you have? 3/4" rope is extremely thick and you're very likely to not get it all to wind onto the drum. My hundred feet of 3/8" rope just barely fits on the drum with a 10 foot chafe guard. I'm running a Warn XD9500i winch.

For comparison, 3/8" Dyneema has a minimum breaking strength around 19,600 pounds. Your 3/4" rope is rated 2000 pounds less and is double the size.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Helping revive an older thread:

I got a really super great deal on a brand new, never-used Warn 16.5Ti winch for my big-assed Duramax van, which included the original steel cable and a brand new 100' MasterPull 7/16" Superline Synthetic Winch Line.

This thread has helped me realize I need to check the fairlead and possibly switch it from roller to Hause. Thank you for that.

Additionally, after reading this thread and looking into some of the sites and recommendations I've found, I'm having doubts the 100' 7/16" line is all going to fit on the 16.5Ti. One of the cross-ref charts said the 16.5Ti could accept 75' of Superline, which is SK75 Dyneema® fiber. The steel cable has already been removed. Unless anyone here, or that I run across in my travels, has solid info, experience, or advice, I may very well be selling the 100' MasterPull Superline at a decent price and putting that towards a 75'er, or maybe 80' of 3/8" Spydura Pro synthetic rope like Warn sells with their 16.5Ti-S version.

Good thread. I'm glad some of these threads come back to life.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Helping revive an older thread:

I got a really super great deal on a brand new, never-used Warn 16.5Ti winch for my big-assed Duramax van, which included the original steel cable and a brand new 100' MasterPull 7/16" Superline Synthetic Winch Line.

This thread has helped me realize I need to check the fairlead and possibly switch it from roller to Hause. Thank you for that.

Additionally, after reading this thread and looking into some of the sites and recommendations I've found, I'm having doubts the 100' 7/16" line is all going to fit on the 16.5Ti. One of the cross-ref charts said the 16.5Ti could accept 75' of Superline, which is SK75 Dyneema® fiber. The steel cable has already been removed. Unless anyone here, or that I run across in my travels, has solid info, experience, or advice, I may very well be selling the 100' MasterPull Superline at a decent price and putting that towards a 75'er, or maybe 80' of 3/8" Spydura Pro synthetic rope like Warn sells with their 16.5Ti-S version.

Good thread. I'm glad some of these threads come back to life.
I would probably stick with 7/16" line for the 16.5ti. The MBS of 3/8" is close to the capacity of the winch. Any reduction in diameter of a rope will reduce the overall capacity. You want the winch to stall before the line breaks. If you think you will need more rope, consider getting an extension of the same thickness.

Give Warn a call and see what they recommend. It would also help deciding what to get if you know how much your vehicle weighs, or go by the GVWR listed in the owner's manual.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I would probably stick with 7/16" line for the 16.5ti. The MBS of 3/8" is close to the capacity of the winch. Any reduction in diameter of a rope will reduce the overall capacity. You want the winch to stall before the line breaks. If you think you will need more rope, consider getting an extension of the same thickness.

Give Warn a call and see what they recommend. It would also help deciding what to get if you know how much your vehicle weighs, or go by the GVWR listed in the owner's manual.
Yeah, GVWR on my vehicle is 8600lbs (curb 5338, cargo 3262) and I'm often towing an off-road trailer with a GVWR of 3275, I think it is (curb 1200, cargo 2275).

I definitely want to keep and use the 100' 7/16" Superline synthetic that I have from Master Pull, but it's looking like it might not all fit on there and I may have to go to 75' or to the Master Pull Classic synthetic if I want to keep the 100' length. This is just according to Master Pull's chart for winches and line: http://www.masterpull.com/choose-the-correct-size-winch-line/

I was surprised to see Warn sells their 16.5ti-s with the 3/8" Spydura Pro synthetic rope: https://warn.com/truck/winches/165ti-S.jsp - but you're right, a call to them would help clarify what's best for my purposes.

Sure like the looks of that Epic 18,000 hook in the Warn link above.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

http://www.masterpull.com/superline-xd-synthetic-winch-line/

These guys charge a lot for a similar line, their top of the line rope.
Masterpull, I have there 7\16" x75ft. synthetic rope on my 12,000lb Badland winch. When changing from wire rope to synthetic you have to make sure your drum isn't gouged or have bur's from the wire rope. You need to smooth out the drum so the synthetic rope doesn't get cut or damage. IMO this is one area you shouldn't cheap out on, especially if your running solo. Not all synthetic ropes are equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
UHMWPE Synthetic Winch Rope has many different trade names. Shop in Canada called Ultra Ranger has real good prices. 9 ton rope at a dollar a foot -/+.

Mkollman74

Rank 0

Traveler I

Washington
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kollman
Great information here. Sorry for the necropost, but have there been any significant changes or additions to the offerings since the last post here?

Reactions: GreenRemy