Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Reminds me of my motocross days when guys would argue which bike was better lol I love all the different vehicles including jeeps they just aren’t for me
Sounds like the arguments in my 4wd club, Jeep vs Toyota. Lot's of pictures with a Jeep pulling a Toyota and then a Toyota pulling a Jeep.

I personally own both. My first Jeep (ish) was a 59 willy's, First Toyota was a 77. I have had one or the other or both all my life. They both have their place and both have the best aftermarket support. As far as fanboy status...I have been called both.
Subaru on the other hand, I would really like an Outback.

Scott

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

To me that’s one of the main things, aftermarket support and support in general from shops if your traveling. Your more likely to find a part in stock for something like a popular jeep or yota

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

When it comes to "fanboys", every brand has them, even Jeepsters. :wink: The person criticizing my initial response seems not to have read much further when I responded as to why *I* wouldn't buy one.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I can only speak for the Outback since I haven't put the other options through their paces but definitely go out and drive things. It's unfortunate that you were involved in an accident that resulted the the totaling of your Outback but it is an opportunity to switch things up. The accident is something to take into consideration though since the Outback is one of the safest vehicles on the road. Weigh the pros and cons to help determine whats more important to you.

I will say that the Outback is much more capable than people realize and it does so quietly/comfortably while returning great gas mileage. Also I'd take a Subaru CVT over the Jeep 9 speed in the Latitude any and every day. The CVT isn't a delicate flower and that thing in the Jeep has a horrendous track record. A lot of people tow with their Subaru issue free btw. If you go with another one just be sure to maintain it properly and if you wanted an added layer of protection simply add an external trans cooler for cheap.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Thank You everyone for your input. Ultimately we still went with Jeep. We've been happy with it so far, already put a few hundred miles on it in less than week. One of the big deciding factors to the purchase was the warranty i was able to get with it. A 7 year, Unlimited miles, Bumper to Bumper warranty. The way i see it, if after 7 years i don't like it for any reason, than i can get something else and not buy another Jeep.

Reactions: MtnManAlex

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Is your Cherokee a Trail Hawk? If it is I have gone on trails with several people who own these. They are nice vehicles but I don't believe I would have run the type of trail we were on with one. (I wouldn't want to tear it up) I would however think that they would make a very nice camping/overlanding vehicle.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
These forums are crawling with Toyota fanboys that like to crap on Jeeps--many of whom have never owned a Jeep. ...
I actually own both; 1999 Wrangler TJ and 1998 Toyota 4Runner... So I can be a fanboy or both... Or crap on both... :-)

What I like about both platforms is that they have been around "forever" and parts availability is generally not an issue. Aftermarket parts and accessories seem to be abundantly available for each as well. That works for me.

Back to the OP... First off, I am glad you (and yours) suffered no injuries. Vehicles can be easily replaced; not the case with people. Secondly, kudos to you for recognizing the type of driving you will be doing with your rig and searching accordingly. No need to "force" yourself to get something to fit into the crowd. Finally, take your time test driving any and all vehicles you are considering. If you can narrow it down between a couple of so, think about renting each vehicle for several days to a week so you can take the on an "extended" test drive and get to know them better. I understand that might cost a little in the short term, but may be very beneficial to you in making a decision on a vehicle that you intend to keep for quite a while.

Best of luck with the search and I look forward to pics of the fish you catch.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Is your Cherokee a Trail Hawk? If it is I have gone on trails with several people who own these. They are nice vehicles but I don't believe I would have run the type of trail we were on with one. (I wouldn't want to tear it up) I would however think that they would make a very nice camping/overlanding vehicle.
No. It's not a Trailhawk. Would be nice to own one though.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I actually own both; 1999 Wrangler TJ and 1998 Toyota 4Runner... So I can be a fanboy or both... Or crap on both... :-)

What I like about both platforms is that they have been around "forever" and parts availability is generally not an issue. Aftermarket parts and accessories seem to be abundantly available for each as well. That works for me.

Back to the OP... First off, I am glad you (and yours) suffered no injuries. Vehicles can be easily replaced; not the case with people. Secondly, kudos to you for recognizing the type of driving you will be doing with your rig and searching accordingly. No need to "force" yourself to get something to fit into the crowd. Finally, take your time test driving any and all vehicles you are considering. If you can narrow it down between a couple of so, think about renting each vehicle for several days to a week so you can take the on an "extended" test drive and get to know them better. I understand that might cost a little in the short term, but may be very beneficial to you in making a decision on a vehicle that you intend to keep for quite a while.

Best of luck with the search and I look forward to pics of the fish you catch.
Thank you. As much as I would love to "trailblaze" in a much more capable rig, it really is beyond what I would do on a regular basis. Maybe that will change in time. I certainly would love to get out in more isolated campgrounds with my family and friends, but we have fun as it is and that's all that matters.

As for fishing photos, that might be a bit, hahaha. I'm trying to teach myself fly fishing and let's just say it is a learning curve. Plus this weather in California has been pretty cold and rainy in a lot of places. Water levels have been fluctuating in my area and makes it difficult.

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Thank you. As much as I would love to "trailblaze" in a much more capable rig, it really is beyond what I would do on a regular basis. Maybe that will change in time. I certainly would love to get out in more isolated campgrounds with my family and friends, but we have fun as it is and that's all that matters.

As for fishing photos, that might be a bit, hahaha. I'm trying to teach myself fly fishing and let's just say it is a learning curve. Plus this weather in California has been pretty cold and rainy in a lot of places. Water levels have been fluctuating in my area and makes it difficult.
Congrats on the purchase. Go on plenty of adventures and have fun with it! And may you have patience as you develop your fly fishing prowess. :-)

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
The Cherokee Latitude
We have a 17' Latitude, and it's a great vehicle. Haven't done too much OR in it, but have taken it on a few trails and fire roads. One section of trail I would consider "moderate" and it did it just fine in stock mode, with stock highway tires. lol It was one of those, "let's go here" decisions without really knowing what was ahead. It was a steep, rutted section. Took a few attempts, put it in "Sport mode", and was finally able to get up it. Then cruised a sandy river bed out of the canyon. Good times. Felt a lot more confident on what it could possibly do. Wifey also likes it as a daily driver because it is very comfortable.

We also have the tow package and tow our vintage trailer with it. it weighs about 3000lbs fully loaded, and it pulls it just fine. Works a bit to get up the Sierra's but it does it just fine.

Reactions: max.grun

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

First, whatever you get, it is worth noting that the difference in 18 MPG (Wrangler / 4Runner territiry) and 30 MPG (Compact SUV territory), driving 15k miles per year with gas at $3/gal, is $1000 per year.

Secondly, how long do you plan to keep the vehicle?

Jeeps offer a lot of great offroad features and capabilities that are often unmatched by other brands. As a general example, "Rubicon" gives you real offroad upgrades that dramatically increase capabilities, whereas "TRD Pro" is mostly just different paint and black wheels, with maybe marginally better equipment.

And sure, lots of folks enjoy Jeeps for years.

But, let's stop pretending Chrysler is on par with Toyota in reliability; you are literally 50% more likely to have an issue with a Jeep than a Toyota.

JeepReliable2.jpg

4runnerReliability.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt and max.grun

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
We have a 17' Latitude, and it's a great vehicle. Haven't done too much OR in it, but have taken it on a few trails and fire roads. One section of trail I would consider "moderate" and it did it just fine in stock mode, with stock highway tires. lol It was one of those, "let's go here" decisions without really knowing what was ahead. It was a steep, rutted section. Took a few attempts, put it in "Sport mode", and was finally able to get up it. Then cruised a sandy river bed out of the canyon. Good times. Felt a lot more confident on what it could possibly do. Wifey also likes it as a daily driver because it is very comfortable.

We also have the tow package and tow our vintage trailer with it. it weighs about 3000lbs fully loaded, and it pulls it just fine. Works a bit to get up the Sierra's but it does it just fine.
Did you install the tow hitch yourself? Also i thought these vehicles were only rated for 2000 lbs., do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder?

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
First, whatever you get, it is worth noting that the difference in 18 MPG (Wrangler / 4Runner territiry) and 30 MPG (Compact SUV territory), driving 15k miles per year with gas at $3/gal, is $1000 per year.

Secondly, how long do you plan to keep the vehicle?

Jeeps offer a lot of great offroad features and capabilities that are often unmatched by other brands. As a general example, "Rubicon" gives you real offroad upgrades that dramatically increase capabilities, whereas "TRD Pro" is mostly just different paint and black wheels, with maybe marginally better equipment.

And sure, lots of folks enjoy Jeeps for years.

But, let's stop pretending Chrysler is on par with Toyota in reliability; you are literally 50% more likely to have an issue with a Jeep than a Toyota.

View attachment 98976

View attachment 98977
I have already purchased the jeep. to answer your question i do plan on owning for the life of the vehicle. So, either until it breaks down beyond repair or is totaled out.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have already purchased the jeep. to answer your question i do plan on owning for the life of the vehicle. So, either until it breaks down beyond repair or is totaled out.
Oh, totally missed that haha. Congrats! That 7 year BtB warranty sounds like no joke! Indeed, that gives you plenty of time to decide if you like it with not a lot of risk :) .

Reactions: max.grun