max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I recently wrecked my Subaru Outback. It is an unfortunate event but no one was hurt so that is good. Earlier this afternoon the insurance called and told me its deemed a "total loss". So, now i have get a new rig.

I curious to see what the community suggests as a replacement rig. I was looking at the 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. I feel this would do pretty much anything i would like too, usually fishing trips and the occasional camp trip. Every so often i do tow a light trailer, less than 1000 lbs, will one get a bigger boat.

I haven't really done a high difficulty trails that required high clearance or large tires. Also, whatever i do end up getting will be a daily driver.

Thoughts and or advice are appreciated. So thank you in advance.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
I've considered that. And will be keeping the option open. Just looking to explore other options as well. Thank you for the reply.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Based on what you've written, why not get another Subaru of some sort? I sure as heck wouldn't buy a Jeep when Toyotas are available.
Honest question: why is there so much dislike for the Jeeps from people? not singling you out, i see it multiple places and a lot of it has to do with the fact that FIAT makes them. Is it that bad of a vehicle?

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

4Runner if your switching it up. Everyone that has the Outback though loves it why not replace it or are you looking for something different

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Honest question: why is there so much dislike for the Jeeps from people? not singling you out, i see it multiple places and a lot of it has to do with the fact that FIAT makes them. Is it that bad of a vehicle?
Personally I have no issues with Jeep, though I am partial to Toyota as we own a 19’ 4Runner TRD and 17’ TRD OR Tacoma. Comparing the 4Runner to the Rubicon seems fair to me but when it comes to the Cherokee, compass, etc it’s no question going to be the 4Runner

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
4Runner if your switching it up. Everyone that has the Outback though loves it why not replace it or are you looking for something different
I really enjoyed the Subaru. Mostly looking to switch it up a little. I may even end up with another one. I planned on taking a few days to test drive vehicles and see what I like and don't like.

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Personally I have no issues with Jeep, though I am partial to Toyota as we own a 19’ 4Runner TRD and 17’ TRD OR Tacoma. Comparing the 4Runner to the Rubicon seems fair to me but when it comes to the Cherokee, compass, etc it’s no question going to be the 4Runner
Did you buy new or used? I've always heard buying new isn't worth it but I've never bought new so it's just hearsay to me.

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Did you buy new or used? I've always heard buying new isn't worth it but I've never bought new so it's just hearsay to me.
Me personally I don’t buy new. My Taco was used but the wife bought the 4Runner new. Toyota is worth buying new IMO. The resale value is unreal. Look at used ones vs new ones and the price is almost the same. I bought my Taco because it was the only one around in the color I wanted

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

I really enjoyed the Subaru. Mostly looking to switch it up a little. I may even end up with another one. I planned on taking a few days to test drive vehicles and see what I like and don't like.
For sure drive a few before you take my advice or anyone else. After all it’s all about what appeals to you. For what your looking to use it for Outback, 4Runner, jeep, they will all be plenty capable off-road

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
For sure drive a few before you take my advice or anyone else. After all it’s all about what appeals to you. For what your looking to use it for Outback, 4Runner, jeep, they will all be plenty capable off-road
Absolutely. I understand vehicle choice is about personal preference. That said, I also enjoy input from others. Whether from experience or just opinions.

One day I'd like to go a little further off the beaten path but not sure far I'd like to take it. I love some of the videos and photos I've seen on this forum of member trips and isolated camping spots. Just not how practical it will be for me to do at this time with work schedule and life in general.

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

The main reason I wouldn't buy a Jeep is that the only one worth having, in my opinion, the Wrangler, is too primitive a vehicle for a daily driver. A lot of their models have had significant reliability issues. Toyotas are pretty capable off-road (depending on what you get) but more comfortable as a daily. Same with Subarus. So don't get me wrong, I love looking at tricked out Rubicons and similar but unless I could afford one as a trail toy, I'd rather drive a Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt and Baipin

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
The main reason I wouldn't buy a Jeep is that the only one worth having, in my opinion, is too primitive a vehicle for a daily driver. A lot of their models have had significant reliability issues. Toyotas are pretty capable off-road (depending on what you get) but more comfortable as a daily. Same with Subarus. So don't get me wrong, I love looking at tricked out Rubicons and similar but unless I could afford one as a trail toy, I'd rather drive a Land Cruiser.
That makes sense. One of the reasons I was looking at the jeep is the price isn't to bad, I feel. Looking at some the subarus in my area, I would pay more and most likely end up with something that has a CVT transmission. I want to avoid those transmissions if I can, mainly worried about it handling towing a small boat. Would like a Toyota but as previously mentioned, I might as well buy new if I get one. Used versus new are pretty similar priced.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

These forums are crawling with Toyota fanboys that like to crap on Jeeps--many of whom have never owned a Jeep. Toyota and Subaru have some good vehicles. However, I own two Jeeps, there are a couple of other Jeeps in my family, and we're all happy with our Jeeps.

The Jeep Cherokee has some good value. My sister bought hers for the first model year in 2014. There were a handful of recalls (like with most newly introduced vehicle), but she has had at 5 years now and loves it. One particular benefit is the smart 4wd system. Snow Mode, for example, starts the transmission off in 2nd gear rather than 1st and changes all the shift points for torque/traction. The various modes also redirect torque between the front and rear axles for various conditions. It's a neat system (but keep in mind Latitude doesn't have the "low" differential).

For the price, I don't know what Toyota offers with similar technology and value as a Cherokee. Highlander is $5-10k more expensive, and Rav4 is smaller and more directly competitive with Renegade or Compass. Cherokee Latitude is very comparable to a Subaru Outback though. I would take a Cherokee Latitude's 4wd technology over Subaru's AWD. Further, Cherokee Latitude has a 9-speed transmission whereas Outback has a CVT (I believe). Many people might pick a geared transmission over a CVT for durability and serviceability; especially since you'll be towing with it.

I'd take the Cherokee over the Outback.

Reactions: GPsGeeps

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
These forums are crawling with Toyota fanboys that like to crap on Jeeps--many of whom have never owned a Jeep. Toyota and Subaru have some good vehicles. However, I own two Jeeps, there are a couple of other Jeeps in my family, and we're all happy with our Jeeps.

The Jeep Cherokee has some good value. My sister bought hers for the first model year in 2014. There were a handful of recalls (like with most newly introduced vehicle), but she has had at 5 years now and loves it. One particular benefit is the smart 4wd system. Snow Mode, for example, starts the transmission off in 2nd gear rather than 1st and changes all the shift points for torque/traction. The various modes also redirect torque between the front and rear axles for various conditions. It's a neat system (but keep in mind Latitude doesn't have the "low" differential).

For the price, I don't know what Toyota offers with similar technology and value as a Cherokee. Highlander is $5-10k more expensive, and Rav4 is smaller and more directly competitive with Renegade or Compass. Cherokee Latitude is very comparable to a Subaru Outback though. I would take a Cherokee Latitude's 4wd technology over Subaru's AWD. Further, Cherokee Latitude has a 9-speed transmission whereas Outback has a CVT (I believe). Many people might pick a geared transmission over a CVT for durability and serviceability; especially since you'll be towing with it.

Thank you for the reply. I've noticed that about the Latitude not having "low" gear. Also, I don't think it had a rear locker either. I might be wrong on that on though.

As far as fan boys go, I'm actually partial to the Subaru but don't want to opt for the CVT for same reasons you mentioned. Also, I like keeping options open. Never know what you'll like if you don't try it.

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Not saying your pointing at me but I’d say in many ways most jeep guys are the same towards Toyota. I personally don’t care what anyone drives because in the end it’s not about that. Jeep, Toyota, Subaru, Rovers, anything really all have reliable stuff and it’s all proven. Reminds me of my motocross days when guys would argue which bike was better lol I love all the different vehicles including jeeps they just aren’t for me

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thank you for the reply. I've noticed that about the Latitude not having "low" gear. Also, I don't think it had a rear locker either. I might be wrong on that on though.

As far as fan boys go, I'm actually partial to the Subaru but don't want to opt for the CVT for same reasons you mentioned. Also, I like keeping options open. Never know what you'll like if you don't try it.
Yup, that's correct. No locker either. The locker on the Trailhawk isn't technically a real locker anyways--its simulated utilizing the brake system. But the Latitude will do everything an Outback can.

No harm in test driving all of them! (except, inevitably, getting harassed by a bunch of car salespeople after. haha)

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Not saying your pointing at me but I’d say in many ways most jeep guys are the same towards Toyota. I personally don’t care what anyone drives because in the end it’s not about that. Jeep, Toyota, Subaru, Rovers, anything really all have reliable stuff and it’s all proven. Reminds me of my motocross days when guys would argue which bike was better lol I love all the different vehicles including jeeps they just aren’t for me
not towards you--towards the initial reply comment putting down Jeeps without saying anything constructive or objective.

I agree, how boring would overlanding be if we all drove the same car??

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
Yup, that's correct. No locker either. The locker on the Trailhawk isn't technically a real locker anyways--its simulated utilizing the brake system. But the Latitude will do everything an Outback can.

No harm in test driving all of them! (except, inevitably, getting harassed by a bunch of car salespeople after. haha)
Ha ha ha. True but that is their job. They can try to pressure me but it's just as easy for me to walk away.