Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Hey All!!! I am pretty new to the Ovrland Bound group and new to California. Previously I lived in Oklahoma and ran a rock crawling group, Oklahoma Jeepers. Since my move to California I sold my Crawling rig for a full size truck to be converted into a capable overland rig. My 1998 Z71 will be the project truck, currently it is mostly stock aside from 32 inch BFG tires and new drivetrain.

I live in the Valley Springs area near the Sierras between hwy 4 and hwy 88.

Over the first weekend of August, we are looking for a easy to intermediate trail that is in the general are noted above that would be conducive to camping and scenic yet be not too aggressive for the truck as i have not yet taken it on a trip that can test its ability.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I haven't explored your area but, if you drop down towards Fresno and head up to shaver lake area, there's some nice places there from easy to "wish I hadn't sold the rock crawler". A bunch towards Tahoe.
Besides Shaver Lake area, most of my exploring is on the other side of the mountain. If you go across you can choose mountain and desert. Take a few days and hit Death Valley, keep going down and go into the Mojave or stay north and mountain camp. It takes about an hour or two to cross the mountain.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
There is a range of trails near you off of both 4 and 88. Since your truck is mostly stock I'm going to assume you aren't looking for too large of rocks. Here's a list I wrote for someone who asked a similar question, hope this is useful.