Advice on new tyres?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Hi all it's been a few months since I was was here and I hope your all well.
In the next couple of week I will be ordering some new tyres, but I'm not sure which make to buy.
1 falken wildpeak
2 Yoko Geolanders (had these on my old car)
3 Davanti terratoura
4 Kumho ventura AT52 and so on,
Ideally max is £800 for full set of 5 fitting will be extra but would be nice all in, 265/60/18 is standard I did think about 275/65/18 but I think in going to stick with 265/65/18 to compliment a 2" lift at the same time.
If anyone has any other recommendations please dont be shy, also please share your thought's on the above too.
Also I'm planning on attending some of the RP's next year as we are in a much better position in our lives too :)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've had Falken Wildpeaks, 255/80/17 on my Colorado ZR2 for a couple years and very happy with the wet, dry and snow traction. They are E rated and a chalk test gave me tire pressures of 31F and 30R. 5 tire rotation every oil change and tire wear is fine.

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
Thanks for the input mate, I've read alot of reviews lately and YT from people who actually use then.
My 1st choice is the falkens, pros and cons to all decisions that's 1 for the falkens then

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
2010-2018 - Tyres we used in South America:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on our vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad. So, I'd recommend Toyos.

2022-2023 – In 2022 we acquired another vehicle – it was way too expensive to ship our Montero to North America so we bought a Wrangler JK LWB and took it 24,000 km around Western/Northwestern Canada. It came with Michelin LTXs and although we were initially concerned at their capability they proved remarkably capable on tarmac, gravel, and “offroad”. We did experience 2 punctures, which we fixed, however it should be noted that on this section of the Dempster we helped fix a lot of punctures on other vehicles (as many as 3 simultaneous punctures on one vehicle in one case!), so having only 2 was not bad. Later in the trip we replaced the tyre which had experienced 2 punctures with a new Bridgestone Dueler A/T and put the spare on the rear axle. The choice was partly owing to the fact that the spare tyre was a Dueler and the tyre workshop in Fort Nelson had one available. We now have 2 x Dueler A/Ts at the back and the Michelin LTXs at the front and as the spare. If we were replacing all of the tyres on the Wrangler we’d go for the Toyos. The tyres on the Montero are Toyos now, with one Geolandar left.

I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

Enthusiast III

West Yorkshire, UK
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Thresh
2010-2018 - Tyres we used in South America:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on our vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad. So, I'd recommend Toyos.

2022-2023 – In 2022 we acquired another vehicle – it was way too expensive to ship our Montero to North America so we bought a Wrangler JK LWB and took it 24,000 km around Western/Northwestern Canada. It came with Michelin LTXs and although we were initially concerned at their capability they proved remarkably capable on tarmac, gravel, and “offroad”. We did experience 2 punctures, which we fixed, however it should be noted that on this section of the Dempster we helped fix a lot of punctures on other vehicles (as many as 3 simultaneous punctures on one vehicle in one case!), so having only 2 was not bad. Later in the trip we replaced the tyre which had experienced 2 punctures with a new Bridgestone Dueler A/T and put the spare on the rear axle. The choice was partly owing to the fact that the spare tyre was a Dueler and the tyre workshop in Fort Nelson had one available. We now have 2 x Dueler A/Ts at the back and the Michelin LTXs at the front and as the spare. If we were replacing all of the tyres on the Wrangler we’d go for the Toyos. The tyres on the Montero are Toyos now, with one Geolandar left.

I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.
Hi again, you dont see the Dunlop Grandtrek that often, however my old Shogun had that as a spare or is it this one not sure, I did have the Geolanders on the old car which where very good until a bulge appeared when towing the caravan. I changed them to Avon AX7's just to get me out of a pickle and actually a good tyre in honesty.
I'm going to do some research on the Toyos now see if i can find any deals.
thanks for your input.

Reactions: Alanymarce