Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

Well we launched this morning at 7 on our long awaited road trip to get our camper/trailer (so we can go Glamping in luxury).
First stopped in Cloyne, Ont for a coffee and apple fritters and headed north past Bon Echo towards Pembroke on Hwy 41 in Ontario.
The Jeep looks like a over loaded chuck wagon with my wife and my dog.
Then headed west on the Trans Canada Hwy 17 from Pembroke.
We actually saw a Toyota truck with a camper. Definitely an overlander. It looks like they are from Europe due to the licence plates. Well nice rig who ever that was outside Espanola.
Lots to see, we made some notes on where we want to return to on another adventure.
Traffic for a Saturday was good, no construction going on all the way to Sault St Marie, it was nice with the half doors on the Jeep, with temps running between 17-28 Celsius.
We added 2 hours to this leg of our journey for rest brakes in the picnic areas, walk the dog, and stopping for coffee and just general sight seeing.
We got to the Sault at 1730. Total midge today 820km and 8.5 hours of driving the speed limit.
I will edit this post in the next couple days and up load some pics from today.
The internet here is worse than at home so no pics today.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY and Migu

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

IMG_0019.JPG This is the Overlander Toyota I mentioned yesterday. This was a very cool looking rig sitting near Blind River or Espanola....I can't remember, I spent too much time eating out of aluminum cookware :grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY and Teague

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

20490032.JPG This was a very cool rest stop....last gas for 150 km north of the Sault near Pancake lake. Great service, cool store with tons to see and do. There is a great pet area to walk, picnic etc. Oh and the do have really good coffee.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

IMG_0154.JPG We stopped in Marathon Ontario for gas and lunch. If you stop here and you have the time, stop at "Rumours". We tied on a feed bag, great food and service in the plaza by the Canadian Tire.

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

So we have made it to Dryden, Ontario ending Leg 2.
Sorry folks my Safari camera (Go-Pro knock off) didn't work as I thought and most of my picks were not the best. It's probably something I did in the settings.
So, we left Sault St Marie this morning at 7 and arrived in Dryden at 2100 completing 1037km for the day.
Keep in mind we have a mission on the way out. We need to get to Langley BC see my brother by Wednesday afternoon. It's time sensitive as he is leaving with family on vacation. The next day we get our trailer and we will spend the next 2.5 weeks making our way back.
In the meantime we are making note of all the cool spots to check out or explore on the way back.
In the meantime we have met some pretty cool folks from Canada and the US, and we will try to keep this updated.
FYI if you are travelling between Dryden and Sault St Marie on Hwy 17 there is a multitude of areas to camp on crown land, provincial parks and private camp grounds.
Off to bed!

Sapper31

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

St. Thomas Ontario
Member #

Nice blog, looks like you have some great spots for when we get out together on our overlandbound. Donna will have fun planning with Laurie....we just have to make sure the plan gets us across the start line

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

IMG_0179.JPG So today we did 996km. It was a long day. Manitoba and especially Saskatchewan have poor signage. If your not on top of things you will miss the sign and your turn. Saskatchewan was a dust bowl today making our mileage suffer. We did pass the centre of Canada in Manitoba, that was neet to see. We arrived in Moose Jaw at 2030.
It's off to bed.
IMG_0182.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

The next morning we departed Moose Jaw for Revelstoke BC. There we stayed at the Peeks Lodge. It was under renovations, no biggie, the room was spacious and the bed was awesome, rooms were quiet and the staff awesome. Definitely worth staying at.
IMG_0184.JPG Things were smokey coming into BC. We first hit the smoke in Saskatchewan, Alberta and the closer we got to Banff the worse it got. The following are a series of pictures that show the smoke between Banff Alberta and Revelstoke BC
P1000331.JPG P1000393.JPG
P1000428.JPG
As a result of the smoke we pressed hard for Langely BC. Things cleared up on Hwy 5 toward Hope BC.

We arrived in Langely BC at 3pm. We had a great visit with my brother and the next day headed off to Delta to get our new trailer.

Last edited:

Sapper31

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

St. Thomas Ontario
Member #

Pretty much. Not taking trailer to that, staying at Robyn's Motel at 7/115. We'll get out camping after that, Donna has week off after Trail Fest. I have the important kit for the off-road except portapotty