DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
If you’re into vehicle maintenance – and I’m sure everyone here in these forums are – and you’re interested in taking another step towards protecting your diesel engine and prolonging its life, install an “Oil-Bypass Filter” onto your rig. AMSOIL makes a very good one that filters your engine oil down to 2-Microns (Your full-flow oil filter is probably closer to 20-microns!). You can buy a frame rail mount installation kit (a bit dangerous, as it is precariously mounted low on the frame rail), or you can buy an Under-the-Hood installation kit (I bought one for my Cummins 3500 here: Oil Charge Systems and here are some of their post-installation pictures: Dodge Installed Pics Bypass Oil Filters | Oil Charge Systems ).

(I am not affiliated with any of these products/companies/or websites, I’m just really impressed by the 2-Micron AMSOIL Bypass Filter System and want to share its utility with others!)

I hope this helps, and Stay Safe!Bypass Filter I.jpg

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have run bypass filters for over 50 years. I have used the Frantz toilet paper oil filters. The only complaint is that it keeps the oil so clean it is hard to see it on the dip stick.

I have almost 250K on my stroker Jeep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilldog and DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I have run bypass filters for over 50 years. I have used the Frantz toilet paper oil filters. The only complaint is that it keeps the oil so clean it is hard to see it on the dip stick.
Well, as complaints go, that's probably not a bad one to have! Ha

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

I have almost 250K on my stroker Jeep.
But, but, but...

Can you still get toilet paper?

Kidding aside, do you have pics of your setup? It just so happens I have one of those Frantz filters. Old vintage, but I don't think it has ever been installed. I had heard of them before and found this one cheap at a swap meet. I just haven't ever tried to sort out an installation for it. I would love to see how you have it set up in your XJ.

• Haha
Reactions: DaleRF

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What exactly is this?
I understand remote filtering but kinda lost on "bypass". Also, cant you get the Amsoil filter for the motor anyway or is the factory filter way small and you want bigger.
I've been considering running a remote system on my Cruiser. I want a bigger filter and i'm tired of the oil mess when changing. They put it in a hard to reach spot.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
What exactly is this?
I understand remote filtering but kinda lost on "bypass". Also, cant you get the Amsoil filter for the motor anyway or is the factory filter way small and you want bigger.
I've been considering running a remote system on my Cruiser. I want a bigger filter and i'm tired of the oil mess when changing. They put it in a hard to reach spot.
Howdy SMRITTE! The media used in your Full-Flow, primary oil filter has to be of a size (Microns) adequate enough to allow the full flow of the oil through it without bottle-necking, or backing up, so they're typically about 20-microns. With the addition of a Bypass filter, about 5-10% of oil is siphoned off and fed to the Bypass filter, where the oil flow of only 5-10% will allow for the media within it to be at 2-Microns (This is the micron size of the AMSOIL filter media, others may differ). So in diesel applications, where the oil is full of carbon, soot, whatever, the reduced, 2-micron filter really cleans the filter more than the full-flow filter. It is not a direct replacement, the two filters are used in tandem, so over time, eventually you've run all of the oil through the smaller Bypass filter and thus reduced the damaging particles that can wear down engine components more-so than without.
I hope this helps!
Stay safe!

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Howdy SMRITTE! The media used in your Full-Flow, primary oil filter has to be of a size (Microns) adequate enough to allow the full flow of the oil through it without bottle-necking, or backing up, so they're typically about 20-microns. With the addition of a Bypass filter, about 5-10% of oil is siphoned off and fed to the Bypass filter, where the oil flow of only 5-10% will allow for the media within it to be at 2-Microns (This is the micron size of the AMSOIL filter media, others may differ). So in diesel applications, where the oil is full of carbon, soot, whatever, the reduced, 2-micron filter really cleans the filter more than the full-flow filter. It is not a direct replacement, the two filters are used in tandem, so over time, eventually you've run all of the oil through the smaller Bypass filter and thus reduced the damaging particles that can wear down engine components more-so than without.
I hope this helps!
Stay safe!
Awesome explanation!! I'm thinking I may do this to my Titan. Gotta look and see what all it will take to do. I don't really want it under the frame. Would rather have it somewhere round the motor area.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Awesome explanation!! I'm thinking I may do this to my Titan. Gotta look and see what all it will take to do. I don't really want it under the frame. Would rather have it somewhere round the motor area.
Exactly! I made the mistake of first ordering the kit with the frame mount, and I was nervous for 6-months, worried that a rock would knock it off and I'd be stranded in the middle of the mountains! So, I learned about the under-the-hood option and quickly snagged that kit. It's a horizontal mount, which is fine with that system. Plus, the bypass filter is supposed to be good for up to 15-20K miles between changes!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thank you.
A lifetime in the automotive industry and I constantly find myself learning something new. This looks like something I'm definitely looking into.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Thank you.
A lifetime in the automotive industry and I constantly find myself learning something new. This looks like something I'm definitely looking into.
I know, right!?!? I wish I'd have known about it years ago. Well, anyway, Hope this helps!
Stay Safe!

Reactions: Dilldog

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Cool.

Thank you.

How do you have it plumbed?

Where does it pick up from and to where does it return?
On my 2012 Cummins, there's an unused port above the full-flow filter that feeds into the bypass filter, then, it returns into an anodized aluminum Oil Filler Cap (this replaces the OEM oil filler cap), that has an elbow joint in it to receive the return oil from the bypass filter. Here's a pic.Bypass Filter I.jpg

Reactions: Dilldog

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
On my 2012 Cummins, there's an unused port above the full-flow filter that feeds into the bypass filter, then, it returns into an anodized aluminum Oil Filler Cap (this replaces the OEM oil filler cap), that has an elbow joint in it to receive the return oil from the bypass filter. Here's a pic.View attachment 153605
Neat set up.

Who makes that fill cap? I wonder if they have fill caps for older vehicles.