Adam's 2005 4Runner

• HTML tutorial

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Hey Guys, new to the forum but not to other forums and build threads. So a lot has been done in almost two years of ownership, so I'll try to keep it consolidated and structured.

For some background, I live in San Francisco Bay Area, and work in personal finance M-F.
Despite by work schedule being very structured, my 25 year old self, really has the desire to maximize all my free time as much as possible. I've concluded the best way to do this, was to build the ultimate weekend warrior glamper. This way, when I did have the time to go camp, explore, dirt bike, and adventure - there would be no reservations due to hassle. With this in mind, I have been meticulously planning and creating a rig that would serve as a base camp for my travels no matter the weather condition.

Enjoy!

The Past
Hello Everyone! Long time no see! It's time for another build thread!!!
:whoo:

To set the scene, two months ago I decided to part with my beloved 2nd gen Prerunner. Here is the build thread
This build taught me a lot, and I was even able to win t4r of the month one time.
Also, I had a little bit of fame with my "Best of" Craigslist ad

Although amazing on the trails, this truck was more of a toy-which was truly limited by its 3.0 motor. After numerous fails on trails :cry2:, I realized that it did not match my need for a trail running overland vehicle, and decided to upgrade. :bravo:

Out with the old, and in with the new

After looking for what my next vehicle should be- I concluded that the following factors were most important to me.

• Stock Off road Capability
  • Reliability
  • Capacity for my Overland needs (Roof Top Tent, Awning, Storage Drawers, Weight etc.)
  • Fuel Economy
  • Noise and Comfort
  • Price
  • Aftermarket and Community support

I did not want to be biased, and with a near $15k budget, I had my options. I searched all over- ih8mud, t4r, expeditionportal, toyota120, fjcruiserforumns, even jeep forums.

After my extensive search. I first though that an FJ Cruiser would be right for me. But with the supply and demand so out of wack, along with every other Fj I see being abused. Chances looked slim to get a low mile FJ.
Not to mention-I had concerns about the interior being so small, and my budget FJ would only have the smaller HP engine, rather than the 2010's which got upgraded horsepower.

I then shifted gears towards the 4th gen 4runner. (HAH, get it!? :frisky: )
This platform still offered A-TRAC, 4wd, the aftermarket support I wanted, but came at about a 6k lower pricepoint.

Finally, I came to realize that the 4runner was the best choice!
  • It has more space
  • They are cheaper
  • They come with a v8 sport package that can tow up to 7000lbs
  • With the Waterpump and timing belt fixed every 90k, these platforms are bulletproof.

So the Hunt began! - Within weeks I found the perfect 4Runner
A 3 owner 108k mile 2005 Sport V8, with the most recent major service(including timing belt and water pump) done just 10k miles ago.

Once this was in my hands. the build began! :banana::banana::banana:

Here she is in stock form.

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Lets the mods begin!
I decided to go with the Icon Stage two kit, along with overland rear 3" springs and the rear lower link kit. To top this off and keep the geometry right, I did the Total Chaos Uniball UCA kit.I had success with their product in the past and I am truly looking forward to seeing it preform again in this build.
here's the receipt. And yes, my wallet still hurts. But that is the price you pay for quality. I wanted to do this build correct this time, and not get stuck in the woods again.

I ordered through the site sponsor Metaltech4x4, and have nothing but positive comments to say about this team.

Within good time, The Parts arrived!
:whoo:

I also ordered 33" BFGoodrich KO2's, along with Procomp 7005 Wheels
-These tires perform great on and off road, are extremely quiet and responsive, and really look badass!
Shoutout to Agundi's Tires in So. San Francisco who installed these wheels and tires are a fair price and with speed!

Heres some eye candy

Time to install! I am very fortunate to have access to great friends, and a lift. (And yes, that is a top alcohol flat bottom boat! )

Total Installation time was a mere 7 hours. Not too bad.
Rear suspension, this took a transmission jack and some muscle.

Front Suspension time.

Uniballs go in!

Sway bar drop piece.

All done! Right before a camping trip to Hollister Hills SVRA- Perfect!

Reactions: Sean S

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Lift and Tires done, Time to Test!
It rubs the front fender in the back, and the stock roof rack struggles to support my Roof top tent.

As for the rear suspension, the 3" lift overland springs are hard, but with weight in the back they are perfect an the vehicle is still level.

Overall the truck performed great, got some 2 and 3 wheel motion, and was able to flex the 4runner out. Very happy with the results!

Till next time boys,
Adam

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Thanks for all the support guys.

As a teaser, here is what's in the works.

I have contacted Gobi Racks, USA These guys are pricey, but you get what you pay for. My concern with my previous route (custom fabricator) was that is wasnt quite a fit and finish product. the Angles were good. but not great, and it was really heavy.

I decided to go with Gobi, and then contact them on making custom adjustments to accomodate my overland need.

These guys are amazing! :cool:
They are going to do custom spacing on the upper and lower hoop to allow for my roof top tent to sit as far rear as possible.
The expanded metal will have openings to allow for easy roof top tent mount and dismount.
We are also doing 1" vertical drops so that my tent sits at a lower position, and is supported not only by the cross bars, but by the upper hoop.
There will be a rear ladder and side awning mounts
Lastly, there will be modifications to allow for a 40" LED bar up front.
Here is their final drawing

Reactions: YETI X

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Roof Rack Delivery & Installation :whoo:

• New Gobi Stealth roof rack with the follow features
  • Cross bars for roof top tent had to be at the perfect distance for weigh distribution and installation.
  • To make installation easier, I opted out on expanded metal below the cross bars. (see later picture)
  • Rear Ladder I LOVE THIS THING.
  • And the ARB Awning mounts for my tepui Awning (these required some basic filing for the awning to fit.

It is a very tight fit but thanks to the custom spacing done by Gobi, its the ideal setup for my needs. :)

Enjoy the pics.

Tight fitment, I better not gain any weight. wont be able to get the tent off!

All together and awning room on

Closed up the next day. Ready to camp!

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Installation:Metal Tech Lower Links and Sway Bar Links :whoo:
Man oh man these links are BEEFY. Thanks to LT at metal tech for such a good product!

Also, a big thanks to [MENTION]@MStudt[/MENTION]Mstudt for the Rear Sway Bar quick disconnect links Here is the link to his product thread.

My only concern will be trying to line up the little pin and reconnect the sway bar when we are on the trail.
Also, once I disconnect the link, I'll still have pieces of hardware moving around....
Maybe I can remove certain parts of the link when I undo the pin and just leave the hard connections? I guess i'll just have to wait and see. :becky:

They installed pretty easily and get the job done- truck feels a lot more "sporty" now. Especially after driving it for 5 months without a rear swaybar

Total install time was about 2 hours. -Not bad.

Enjoy the pics. :roll:

For my next mod....I found ripped CV Boots! :ybrick:

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Preliminary Drawer Design :whoo:

Alright guys, with all of the camping and expeditioning i've been up too, I concluded that the next best mod would be some drawers.

Below are the initial plans.

• It would be a 4 piece modular system.
  • The two side pieces will be permanent with wiring for power, compressor, and then water outlet on the driver side.
  • The center two drawers would be removable.
  • The shallow slider drawer on the right, will be attached to the drawer above it. It will house a partner steel stove & a (either flip or slide out) cutting board.
    (See below picture to see what I mean. It will display how it "extends" from the drawer above it)
My Plan

My Inspiration

Any Feedback would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Sean S and ASNOBODY

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Dual Battery System Has Been Added
  • Hey Guys, I found a local fabricator who was able to make a bolt in Dual Battery Tray out of aluminum for the 4runner, no modification required for install.
  • I figure there may be some interest for others to order this, if so please DM me and I will see if he will make more!

Here's the newly updated budget :ybrick:

Some pictures of the progress and test fitting

also!
Located in SF Bay Area I have the following for sale. please make an offer and pick up only!

-Entire stock XREAS suspension for 2005 v8 sport (except for hardlines and cylinders) this includes UCA's, shocks, and coils. (108k miles on it)

-Stock Sport roof rack silver with endcaps. only small mark from mounting tepui RTT on horizontal bars.

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Also new updated that I omitted before, I have added White knuckle bolt on sliders. :D

As far as the drawers go, it looks like a lot of people have the need for these and would like a nice kit...
It looks like we'll be putting together some kits that are CNC cut for people to purchase... (this is one option and the other will likely be blueprints and cut instructions). This is a lot of work in the making...

Also I'm selling my stock XREAS suspension and roof rack if anyone is interested...

90% of the way there boys! :drummer::tongue::party:

Any Feedback or things the community would like to see improved upon would be much appreciated!

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Hey guys, two quick updates.

Drawers are now awaiting some nice weather for a final sand and seal/monstaliner, and the dual battery just needs the final wiring. Higher quality pics will be in the future!

One that's completed I'll be putting these into a CAD model and then looking to see community interest on blue prints versus built drawers. and then hopefully expending to other vehicles as well.

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Looks good. Nice job. I am in the process of building a 4th gen as well. Time and money are the biggest issues.

I am interested in possible battery tray. Need to get a second battery put in and the tray is what is holding me back.

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Looks good. Nice job. I am in the process of building a 4th gen as well. Time and money are the biggest issues.

I am interested in possible battery tray. Need to get a second battery put in and the tray is what is holding me back.
I hear you on that one. I worked with a local fabricator to create it, I'm sure He'd be willing to help you out. Let him know Adam with the 4th Gen sent you!
Fabricator info below.
(http://www.bdrfabrication.com/ )

Reactions: giarc1234