Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

My kid decided to bring a puppy home during Christmas. That puppy is a mallamute x husky. That dog happen to be 5lbs to 100000 lbs within 2 days. So I had to buy a car quick to fit that monster in the back.

The dog.
488320CA-FD0C-41DC-A3DF-A50CB77E9DD7.png

I found a D2 relatively cheap, it had to cheap because we recently bought her a G35 and now she doesn't want it... I think it was about $2800. Super decent and clean inside. I didn't see any leaks yada yada
E3B6B176-A352-44DD-9A2F-09A2711CAA03.png

Last edited:

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Well, 2 months later... The D2 got hit and the hitta, ain't got no insurance...

I don't have photos of the accident but it was pretty bad, hood, lights, fenders, etc was thrash. The suspension was bent, and the biggest pain was the steering box. Which I didn't know what it was or what it is.

7C702139-736D-404A-9A9E-A5646BF0A6A5.png

Trying to make the story short, I happen to get injured in Jiu-Jitsu, tore my meniscus So I was pretty bummed. But I always have this mantra that if things isn't going your way, there's a reason and that's the blessing in disguise.

After searching for prices & parts, I started running into "overlanding" videos on YouTube. The OEM bumper cost the same as an ARB. That's when I decided to build this truck for camping, we are no campers, we have zero idea about outdoor stuff and have zero experience. Anyways, after weeks of putting the truck back, it ended up like this.. Lol

6762BADD-B007-431C-B111-74CE8A82B569.png

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Well, 2 months later... The D2 got hit and the hitta, ain't got no insurance...

I don't have photos of the accident but it was pretty bad, hood, lights, fenders, etc was thrash. The suspension was bent, and the biggest pain was the steering box. Which I didn't know what it was or what it is.

View attachment 119323

Trying to make the story short, I happen to get injured in Jiu-Jitsu, tore my meniscus So I was pretty bummed. But I always have this mantra that if things isn't going your way, there's a reason and that's the blessing in disguise.

After searching for prices & parts, I started running into "overlanding" videos on YouTube. The OEM bumper cost the same as an ARB. That's when I decided to build this truck for camping, we are no campers, we have zero idea about outdoor stuff and have zero experience. Anyways, after weeks of putting the truck back, it ended up like this.. Lol

View attachment 119324
Even better!

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Just to note that I'm super impatient about everything and we have zero idea about camping and I also have a 6 year old.

"How cold will it be at night?"
"How do they shower at camps???"

These two things were in my mind.
After searching, I decided to buy the biggest and warmest tent that I thought it would work and would fit 4/5 people...
468768BA-D92F-4FAF-BA19-A9B7EC17DB15.png

I'm impatient but also practical. I search that Thule cross bars works on these tents and you can get super long ones... I made sure to get a long one that I can add an outdoor shower. I think being injured is what made us able to do these things because I had time in my hand instead of buying a $600 outdoor shower.

We made this for about $100 bucks.

140F62D6-22F2-4A9C-8C3B-1B0818FFBE87.png
7F567A54-958C-4928-AE66-6F80739B1C24.png

Of course I got the bumper because I just couldn't find a decent OEM bumper at the junkyard, most of em were crack etc.

I YouTube how to paint stuff and voila, I painted my fenders, hood, and bumper.

Don't buy cheap spray paint lol, go to a local paint shop and can purchase you a new can and the paint code you want.

C782E5B7-A7C1-457F-812A-35C324E6554A.png

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

[emoji15][emoji848]Do ALL D2 owners buy those rims? Lol I've seen quite a few sets recently
It's the only decent rims for these bolt patterns, either that or steelies. Unless you go with 18" which I don't want since I plan on heading to other countries. 16" tires are super common outside of the U.S.

Reactions: StevenMiller

StevenMiller

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

De Soto, KS, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Miller
Member #

It's the only decent rims for these bolt patterns, either that or steelies. Unless you go with 18" which I don't want since I plan on heading to other countries. 16" tires are super common outside of the U.S.
Which rims are those?

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

We participated at the NORCAL LAND ROVER CLUB over the weekend and we accidentally went to a trail that we thought it was going to easy and chill. 2-3 hours later - i was scraping everywhere so next on my list will a bit of a lift and a side rail which I didn't want. I haven't really seen a side rails that I like. Any recommendation which suspension lifts we should get?

Attachments

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

We participated at the NORCAL LAND ROVER CLUB over the weekend and we accidentally went to a trail that we thought it was going to easy and chill. 2-3 hours later - i was scraping everywhere so next on my list will a bit of a lift and a side rail which I didn't want. I haven't really seen a side rails that I like. Any recommendation which suspension lifts we should get?
Terrafirma is a great product. I've had very good experiences with their springs. The shocks are so so. The price point is great too.

Reactions: AL.WVSN

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

After doing much research, I got myself a 2” lift.

Fox Shocks with ARB HD springs all around. I added a 1” spacer on the back and opted out on the front because I had a feeling that the front might be higher with all the weight on the back...
I know they’re twice more than TF kit but I just read way too many issues that people are having with it...
That was a tough install job. Doable but very tough.

One thing I can say that the ride is night and day difference.. can corner better and just able to handle the weight I have on the truck. I don’t know what the difference between medium and HD springs but these feels a bit soft. I thought it was gonna be a rough heavy duty but it isn’t.

EBD50262-DAE9-4E27-9A79-FC071B7C32FD.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: EXPO_D1

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

After doing much research, I got myself a 2” lift.

Fox Shocks with ARB HD springs all around. I added a 1” spacer on the back and opted out on the front because I had a feeling that the front might be higher with all the weight on the back...
I know they’re twice more than TF kit but I just read way too many issues that people are having with it...
That was a tough install job. Doable but very tough.

One thing I can say that the ride is night and day difference.. can corner better and just able to handle the weight I have on the truck. I don’t know what the difference between medium and HD springs but these feels a bit soft. I thought it was gonna be a rough heavy duty but it isn’t.

View attachment 123860
looking VERY proper :sunglasses:

Reactions: AL.WVSN

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
[emoji15][emoji848]Do ALL D2 owners buy those rims? Lol I've seen quite a few sets recently
Wheels are just wheels. I like the stock rims just fine. At $120 a copy you won't see them on my LRD2. I can find better places to put my OB money. I'm not knocking the wheel or @AL.WBSN, to each his own. It's more a matter of buying a wheel for no obvious reason other than looks (if you like them).