caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Good day everyone, i don'tr know if this is the proper subforum for this question, if not, someone please tell me ., or just have the mods move it to the approptiate place.

I have just signed up here, because I went looking for an answer to my question, and so far no luck. I am currently transitioning to my newest overland vehicle, a 1998 6.5 diesel 3/4 ton suburban with 33" tires and a mild 2" lift. I spend alot of time traveling the western states fishing tiny creeks and streams, so I'm hoping good mileage and a dependable platform. I have a bed in back, but i like to throw the full camp stove, a 10 X 10 popup with walls and screens, etc up top, so I can set up a comfortable base camp.

and that brings me to my question/ issue.
I really want a ladder to give me easy access to the rack up top. I can't recall seeing one an a tahoe/suburban . anyone have any sources? ideas? or derision you want to shoot my way, I'm all ears!

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Thanks for the tip, i went to GOBI racks, looks to me like they have a bias against GM stuff - not listed on their brand list at the top!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Custom make it or have it made. I made this to access my gear from the roof. Materials are about $25-30. Weighs 14lbs.
Zim
IMG-1418 (1).JPG

IMG-1273.JPG

EDIT. I built the entire camper. I don't think you could hang a ladder on a typical roof rack. Can you post some pictures?

Last edited:
Reactions: KD7WCD and 9Mike2

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Thats badass man, I assume that folds up and stores away? I'll posr photos As soon as I can, but the rig is currently 1000 miles away getting a 2" lift, 33" tires, and a complete going through & refresh. turns out those diesel burbs are hard to come by!

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
I use my 33 wheels as steps. 5'7" here and it works for me.
right, but I'm 65, have 2 titanium knees. If I climb up on the tires, getting down would be the issue. I really need to be able to walk around on the roof, not jusr access stuff, I have a solar panel, a big weather proof carrier bag, a 6 ft table & chairs, I really need to get up there to store stuff correctly

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Thanks for the tip, i went to GOBI racks, looks to me like they have a bias against GM stuff - not listed on their brand list at the top!
If you contact them they are pretty helpful. Were more than willing to build up a rack for my Hummer H3. I ended up doing my own thing because of I could build it in a couple of weekends where they had a 4 to 8 week turn around and we had a summer vacation that we could not wait on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9Mike2

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I have found the same kind of issues finding such parts for my H3 Hummer. It is not a mainstream vehicle that you can drive off a lot so there is not as much marked to the more unique vehicles.

If you are into the DIY option a ladder is pretty straightforward. This is a good video that might give you some ideas.
I have found the last couple of projects I have done on the Hummer that is was the best option for me.

Even if you don't have the DIY inclination you might look around for a local fabrication shop. If you have a clear idea of what you want you may be surprised at the cost. Someone with the right tools and experience can crank out something like a ladder pretty quickly.

Keep us up to date. Would love to see what you come up with.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Thats badass man, I assume that folds up and stores away? I'll posr photos As soon as I can, but the rig is currently 1000 miles away getting a 2" lift, 33" tires, and a complete going through & refresh. turns out those diesel burbs are hard to come by!
LOL, no folding. I choose to do things as difficult as possible. I"m sure someone could cut it and put some hinges on it.
Thanks.
Zim

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Yeah, I have the tools I need to build one, , and can come up with what I think is a pretty good design, but I wonder about mounting points? how/ where to be secure enough to hold the weight (250 lbs) without tearing out of the mount, and also if the mount would eventually be a leak point, where water could get down in there. I am also thinking of starting with an aluminum pool or pontoon boat ladder, and making it fit. (same issue, mounting points)

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Yeah, I have the tools I need to build one, , and can come up with what I think is a pretty good design, but I wonder about mounting points? how/ where to be secure enough to hold the weight (250 lbs) without tearing out of the mount, and also if the mount would eventually be a leak point, where water could get down in there. I am also thinking of starting with an aluminum pool or pontoon boat ladder, and making it fit. (same issue, mounting points)
Send me a pic or two of what you have and I'll offer up some very rednek, deep south ideas...lmao. Kidding, post em up.
Zim

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
Update. After fooling around with several fabrication solutions, I ended up here:
a simple telescoping ladder. It collapses down to 20" long 16 high & 4 wide, stores in the corner of the burb, standing up. I can move it anywhere , telescopes out and back in in seconds, and as an added bonus, It had done double duty as a 'ramp so I can slide heavy stuff up or down, instead of trying to muscle it up. plus I have a ladder around camp - comes in handy.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Update. After fooling around with several fabrication solutions, I ended up here:
a simple telescoping ladder. It collapses down to 20" long 16 high & 4 wide, stores in the corner of the burb, standing up. I can move it anywhere , telescopes out and back in in seconds, and as an added bonus, It had done double duty as a 'ramp so I can slide heavy stuff up or down, instead of trying to muscle it up. plus I have a ladder around camp - comes in handy.
That's like the ladder I have seen SWAT and Spec. Ops teams..

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
Nice. That's the ladder every yacht broker has in the trunk. If you need to get into a boat laid up on the hard, this is the answer. No reason it shouldn't meet your needs perfectly.