Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

I managed to find most of my digital pictures, so thought I'd relive some of my "glory days" during my 14 years living in Alaska (Kodiak, Anchorage and Juneau).

Grab a cold one, sit back, and enjoy as I attempt to remember my 2008 trip - 2000 miles on a 2006 Ural GearUp Sidecar Motorcycle!

Last edited:

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

A little background for ya. During my 23 years of Coast Guard service, 14 of those were in Alaska. I was on Kodiak Island 3x, Anchorage 1x and Juneau 1x. I made it a point to do as much adventure traveling as I could while up there, since I never knew when Uncle Sam would decide to move me and the family back to the lesser-48.

In fall of 2007 I traveled to Salem, OR to buy a new Ural GearUp from the dealer there. After breaking in the engine and getting the first 500km service done, I headed up to Bellingham, WA and boarded the Alaska Marine Highway ferry for my home (at the time) of Juneau, AK.

Every year in Dawson City, Yukon, a group of ADVenture Riders coagulate in upwards of 200+ motorcycles. Mostly dual-sport and adventure bikes. I had targeted 2008 as my year to attend, and what better way to do it than on a Russian built, 2-wheel drive, sidecar motorcycle! Everyone said it wouldn't make it...I'd break down for sure...better call a tow company to follow you...but you'll have to read and see what happened.

Oh, did I mention I was gonna hit the Dempster Highway, the Arctic Circle and head all the way up to Inuvik? Yeah, well...read on!

All good adventures begin with a hair brained idea (see above), and some planning. I chose an Alaskan Brewing Company IPA and the beautiful Diane Lane to help me get things started.

DSC02188.JPG

And here's the beast, in ready-to-roll mode. It drank gas like crazy, so yeah...I brought along 15 extra gallons. Overkill? I think not. I used every drop on my run to Inuvik! And the wheels and tires...one full spare (could be mounted on the rear of the bike or on the sidecar), so brought an extra 2 new tires. The rear tire (or "pusher") wears super fast and also in a squared off manner, so I wanted to be sure I had one replacement for that plus if anything happened on the front end.

DSC02200.JPG

Reactions: NorthernOverland

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Day 1...Said goodbye to the wife and kiddo and headed to the ferry terminal. Got loaded up in my own special space up forward.

DSC02202.JPG

Got settled in for the short 4 hour ride to Skagway.

DSC02310.JPG

Once to Skagway, I had to setup camp pretty quickly - it was already about 1130 and was getting dark, fast! :) :) :)

DSC02206.JPG

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

On to day 2. Headed North on the S. Klondike Highway out of Skagway.

Had to get a picture at one of my most favorite places up here - the Red Onion Saloon. Yeah, Skagway is a tourist town. But the very cool thing about it is once the cruise ships leave in the afternoons, the place is vacant except for the locals and seasonal workers. Lots of good times to be had in Skagway!

DSC02207.JPG

DSC_3221.JPG

One of many fuel stops I would make along the way. Caught up with a bunch of other riders (or they caught up with my slow a$$). The chick in the red staring at me is Andrea, and over her right shoulder is her main man Brian. Over the next few days we'd become great friends as you'll see. The other group of guys I never saw again.

DSC02213.JPG

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Up the road a ways I stopped for a snack at Stewart's Crossing and ran into Andrea and Brian on their BMW's...and this Pinzgauer that was traveling the world. Chatted with everyone for awhile, got a quick tour of the Pinz (awesome!) and back to putting more miles under my butt!

A Russian Ural, two German BMW's (not shown), and a Pinz. Very cool.

DSC_3225.JPG
The second night brought me to Moose Creek Campground, just west of Stewarts Crossing. Discovered the Andrea and Brian had set up camp there as well, and after I finished setting up they invited me over for a drink or two and some good companionship. They're Canadian so I had to concentrate really hard to understand them. ;)

DSC02214.JPG

DSC_3227.JPG

And in case you're wondering...this next picture was taken at 1:18am.

DSC02217.JPG

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Day 3. Up and on the road at about 730am. Destination...NORTH!

Continued North on the Klondike Highway, and came across a black bear and a moose about 1/4 mile from each other.

DSC_3228.JPG

DSC02220.JPG

DSC02221.JPG

Until I finally came to the start of one of the most amazing parts of this trip...

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

The Dempster.
DSC_3231.JPG

The first 5kms of the Dumpster are "paved". After that and it goes to dirt, rock, mud, sand, pea-gravel, hard rock, gravel...and that's where the fun begins.

True North!
DSC02223.JPG

The front fender on the Ural doesn't really do a whole lot...making for a nice place for some art.
DSC02226.JPG

The weather turned nasty...got really dark as I was approaching the Tombstone Mountains visitor cabin. I pulled in just as it started hailing like mad - which, by the way, was loud as heck on my helmet! Look at the ground and you'll see all the hail. Yowza.
DSC02227.JPG

DSC_3232.JPG

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

...edited...screwed this post up. I'll do more tomorrow!

Last edited:

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
Welp, either got swallowed up by the great Canadian North, or he had an emergency post in the Antarctic. What's up with the trip Chief?