A Tradesman for off pavement travel/dispersed camping.

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have a few threads for my trip planning, so figure it is time for a place to gather thoughts on the "build".

2015 RAM 2500. It is a Crew Cab with an 8 foot bed, so it definitely qualifies as full figured.

Power comes to it from a 392 cubic inch HEMI. Of course they did away with the manual trans behind a gas engine in 2010 so i have the 66RFE 6 speed auto. It is a 4x4 still shifted with a lever on the floor. 3.73 anti spin rear completes the package.

Vinyl interior rubber floors make for a good cabin for offroad outdoor activities.

So far I haven't done any mods...and there probably won't be many. I have added a bed extender, bed cover and a truck tool box. It does have side steps that I am not crazy about.

My list of things I plan to do will be larger more aggressive tires...35 x 11.5 is about what I want, will not be lifting the truck.

I have a plan to install the Powerwagon winch and possibly different bumpers.

I am torn about a rack, cap, or other canopy. That will be thought about as I use the truck to camp out of. Right now we have a travel trailer, so we will see how it all works out.

I plan to adopt the 3 case method of being prepared and ready. I already own everything I need...just going to use what I have and upgrade or replace as needed.

I will have tools for self recovery and trail maintenance. Will have the camping (cooking/sleeping) supplies. And we always have our packs for hiking and geocaching.

The only interior mods will be the adding of factory auxiliary switches, communications, and storage/comfort.

So that is the start. Anxious to see where this goes.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I have an over rail tool box in the bed. Debating if it will stay or if I will go to a different plan.

I currently keep enough firewood under the toolbox for a small fire for a night to morning breakfast. I have a 2x6 strung across the front of the bed in the indents for this purpose that keeps the wood to the front.

I have a shovel, an entrenching tool, saw, hatchet, axe, and chains in the truck for trail maintenance and easy recovery.

I have a come along and some tow straps.

I have tools to do most any trailside repair, just no extra parts.

We always have our packs (equipped for a quick geocache and trailblazing)

The compass and maps are stashed in the center console of the truck, and binoculars and flashlights in the map pockets, glove box, etc.

We have 2 way radios...a set in my pack and a set in the glovebox. (Need a better communication setup though).

I have everything and then some for camping and cooking. We have a sink table and canopies.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Still have some stuff to consider. I want a winch...more for fallen trees and other traveler's distress than an actual self recovery tool. I plan to go with the factory Powerwagon setup.

I am going to get a High lift jack and accessories. Probably add recovery tracks and some more recovery straps.

We have 3 5 gallon water jugs and I have gas jugs, but looking at other storage options for gasoline.

The next major purchase will be tires.

Any thoughts on the equipment I have and the stuff I may get are greatly appreciated. Maybe something I missed or something you feel I need.

Always welcome constructive criticism.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So, tires.

I ultimately want a 35 x 11.5 tire. So far I only found Nitto tires in this size.

I need to keep the load range E for my travel trailer and heavy hauling I do.

285/75 may be what I go with as well.

Stuck on Faulken wildpeaks, cooper st pro or maxx, my go to BFGoodrich or Kenda Klever.

I go back and forth between these constantly.

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated...probably make the purchase in September.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I go with as common as possible, factory sized BFG AT so if I have a blowout or rip, I can go to any tire shop for a replacement. I've never seen a tire shop that didn't have a set of 265/70-17 load range E BFGs. Ironically, I've only had tires get damaged in big cities.

Reactions: Broke

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Still have some stuff to consider. I want a winch...more for fallen trees and other traveler's distress than an actual self recovery tool. I plan to go with the factory Powerwagon setup.

I am going to get a High lift jack and accessories. Probably add recovery tracks and some more recovery straps.

We have 3 5 gallon water jugs and I have gas jugs, but looking at other storage options for gasoline.

The next major purchase will be tires.

Any thoughts on the equipment I have and the stuff I may get are greatly appreciated. Maybe something I missed or something you feel I need.

Always welcome constructive criticism.
Without dedicated jack points, high lifts are more of a liability than an asset in my experience...unless you plan on doing fence work on a farm. Lol

As for the winch, receiver hitch on each end with proper power cables to reach the rear hitch will probably be the ticket for what you want. I came up with this after a very frustrating day at the beach back when I had a jeep patriot attempting at pulling my beach trailer in deep sand20191208_152333.jpeg

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Cool, Another Ram!

My father-in-law had a 2015 CC longbed. Couldn't believe how much bigger the turning radius was over my 2015 CC with the 6'5" bed.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
He's in PA. Get the Cooper Stt pro's. Anything less is going to suck over there. Get some tire chains or truck claws.

We use hi lifts for winching over here. Get a winch kit for yours, some winch rope, chain, and practice before investing in an electric winch. That said, the Warn Assent bumper looks great.

When your ready, try to get in on one of the Michigan UP group rides.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Seems like a great platform for an Overlander. Tons of space, both for clean storage (cab) and in the bed. Sure, there will be times wheelbase will give you issues (break-over and tighter turns) but for Overlanding I think it'll work out well. Obviously plenty of folks are doing it with the AEV Prospector XL rigs that are the same platform, just slightly shorter (they don't run the 8' bed, IIRC).

-TJ

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I go with as common as possible, factory sized BFG AT so if I have a blowout or rip, I can go to any tire shop for a replacement. I've never seen a tire shop that didn't have a set of 265/70-17 load range E BFGs. Ironically, I've only had tires get damaged in big cities.
My stock tire size is 275/70R18. I have no need or want to lift...a 35 inch tire fits stock, and most places have the 285/70r18...the 285/75 is a bit rarer...but would be the size I want.

Reactions: Broke

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
He's in PA. Get the Cooper Stt pro's. Anything less is going to suck over there. Get some tire chains or truck claws.

We use hi lifts for winching over here. Get a winch kit for yours, some winch rope, chain, and practice before investing in an electric winch. That said, the Warn Assent bumper looks great.

When your ready, try to get in on one of the Michigan UP group rides.
Thanks for explaining the uses of a high lift Jack. That was my intended purpose of it...not so much jacking the truck. I already have the high lift and winching equipment ready to be picked up.

So, another vote for the cooper pros. I am guessing you feel they are good on snow and ice?

I am going for cheap right now...spending my money on gas for the adventure...but bumpers are definitely on my list. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: Broke and MidOH

OverRAM3500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ephrata Avenue Northwest, Soap Lake, Washington 98851, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gehlen
Member #

Sweet, more Ram owners. I see you don't want to lift that sexy truck of yours. I will tell you that running 35 inch tires on stock wheels you will rub. The easy thing about our trucks is "leveling" them is very inexpensive and no other modification is needed other then extended shocks or a shock extender bracket. With a small 2.5'-3' Leveling spring you can wheel it all you want with no rubbing. Just a thought. Synergy, Carli, Thuren, Rough country and a few other companies make leveling springs for this. Im around 120k on a leveled Ram 3500 cclb and its probably my favorite upgrade thus far. I hope to see you out on the trail and watch your build take form. It always starts with small and ends up like all of us here on the forum. Welcome to the group and have fun. Albino Rhino signing off.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Seems like a great platform for an Overlander. Tons of space, both for clean storage (cab) and in the bed. Sure, there will be times wheelbase will give you issues (break-over and tighter turns) but for Overlanding I think it'll work out well. Obviously plenty of folks are doing it with the AEV Prospector XL rigs that are the same platform, just slightly shorter (they don't run the 8' bed, IIRC).

-TJ
I have taken this truck into some tight places. Watched a guy with a ranger tell me I was crazy...then when he turned around (lots of trees down and ice) he was a bit surprised to see me spin mine around in the same spot as he just did.

These full figured trucks will turn you just have to do it a bit wider, and sometimes stop travel while you continue to turn.

I am a bit concerned about break over...it gets hairy sometimes.

Some of the smaller trails we have been on.
20191020_133737.jpg20191020_134901.jpg20191020_133601.jpg20191020_133636.jpg20191020_134545.jpg

Reactions: Broke and HUMΛN

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Thanks for explaining the uses of a high lift Jack. That was my intended purpose of it...not so much jacking the truck. I already have the high lift and winching equipment ready to be picked up.

So, another vote for the cooper pros. I am guessing you feel they are good on snow and ice?

I am going for cheap right now...spending my money on gas for the adventure...but bumpers are definitely on my list. Thanks for the idea.
The Warn bumper is actually the cheapest bumper out there.

The STT's work excellent in Ohio snow belt weather. You do have to drive responsibly. They aren't blizzaks. But blizzaks don't work in slush or mud. You can drop down to studded Cooper ST Maxx's for hardcore winter weather use.

I'm limited in winter speed by pathetic 1wd economy cars every snowfall. Traffic forces me to take it easy. Canuk's and leafys, with wide opener spaces might choose an actual winter tire.