A Tradesman for off pavement travel/dispersed camping.

• HTML tutorial

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been playing in the woods of Pa for along time. We started camping with a travel trailer awhile ago...and I just want to be back to a simpler setup for some more interesting camping. Just learned about the motorized campsites in state Forest here last year.

Now we have a new hobby and I found this awesome site to help.

Some of my past Mopar outdoorsman trucks.

I wish I had picks of my trailduster and all my Powerwagons but they have been lost.
20150131_142059.jpgfront_side_view.JPGrear_side_view.JPGindex.jpeg

Reactions: Wallygator

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

My stock tire size is 275/70R18. I have no need or want to lift...a 35 inch tire fits stock, and most places have the 285/70r18...the 285/75 is a bit rarer...but would be the size I want.
I run the 285/75R18 on all of my F250's (7 at the moment) for the farm and really like the size. Tall and skinny so they fit on stock rims nice, the first couple pickups i put leveling kits on but I have a few without and there is no rubbing. Toyo offers most of their line in that size. I know you can get the A/T2, R/T and M55 maybe more. I've had pretty good luck with the A/T2 and R/T tires, the A/T has better winter traction and when you get it in this size it really opens up the space between the lugs making it look fairly aggressive for an A/T. The R/T is better out in the mud and fields but not by much. I have found though that the R/T hold up better to rock chip so I have been running those more on the pickups that see more gravel. As you said you can get Nitto's in this size, the 2 sets I got were nonstock and had to order them in but they are available.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
It is amazing how a picture takes a steep hill and makes it look flat.

Trail report for Pennsylvania

20200125_134801.jpg
ICE.

Looks like the game commission did some tree trimming aswell.

My son calls it the tree nibbler because it has monster truck tires and looks to have ate the trees.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I also need to figure a way to incorporate the kayaks and bikes.

I have a hitch hauler for the bikes. I have contemplated a roof rack for the kayaks.

I usually haul the kayaks above the toolbox and bed cover...but don't like just using the tie down straps20190929_160643.jpg

In this pic the bikes are actually under the bed cover. But, going without the camper...I will need that room for camping supplies, etc.

Our other hobbies are geocaching and orienteering, but that stuff is always in my pack under the rear seat.

Reactions: Wallygator

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
285/75/18 on our '14 Tradesman also. Second set of Toyo R/T now. I hate buying tires and went back to these. We really enjoyed our ARE MX with sliding screened windoors when we had it. Sleeping platform in the rear. Its nice to sleep great through a nasty storm and not be too concerned. We have had our truck for over 3 years now. No buyers remorse and 60K miles of adventure later. This rig has no job other than take us to cool places.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The threads for the trips I will be using this full figured truck for.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
My stock tire size is 275/70R18. I have no need or want to lift...a 35 inch tire fits stock, and most places have the 285/70r18...the 285/75 is a bit rarer...but would be the size I want.
I run 285/75-18 Toyo MTR's, get a bit over 40k a set.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
One of the first things I plan to do is add the I/P mounted auxiliary switches. The first thing that will be wired to them will be some auxiliary lights.

Not sure what else I will be adding. A winch will arrive I am sure, but maybe not much else.

Debating a CB and have been gaining interest in HAM radio. Just not sure if either are really needed. But both will be cool to have.

So far the plan is to head out with what we have and keep notes of what was used what was missed.

I am so ready to camp, got so much to do though.

Reactions: OverRAM3500

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Made the decision on tires. Posting this here so I do not change my mind 600 more times.

LT275/70R18 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Going with these in this size for a few reasons. First, I am not lifting the truck and the extra cost for the next size isn't going to give me much pay back in the minimal extra clearance.

And the specs show the best blend of tread depth, diameter and section width and weight.

Done...decided...now, should I get them right away, or finish the life of my current tires...lol

• Love
Reactions: Billiebob