Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

What you gonna do to it next?
Well, since you asked... :sunglasses:

When I was searching for a roof rack, I really liked the design of a lot of the steel ones, but I like the idea of having aluminum up there because of weight, mainly. I plan on weighing it down with lots of gear, and I didn't want to spend too much of that weight on the rack itself, since my vehicle is relatively light overall (and kinda narrow and tall). I also like the fact that it won't rust. I researched a lot of different types and brands, and I initially had crossed off Surco as a potential one, because of the way they looked and because I only saw ones that seemed too small on XJs.

Then I found out they made a 50" x 72" rack (pretty much full length), and they manufactured rain gutter mounts that would work on the XJ. I still didn't like that the rack itself seemed weak (not very much to it). But I found the flooring kit they sell (adds six planks to the floor) and an extra set of mounts (eight mounts total on four crossbars). All of this together seemed like it would be plenty solid for my use. Not really cheap anymore, but not as expensive as others I've seen.

Well, before my little incident I had received the new roof rack and assembled it.

Photo Dec 01, 7 33 39 PM.jpg
Boss thinks the directions aren't great...

Photo Dec 01, 10 20 27 PM.jpg
Spaced out the planks as best I could.

Photo Dec 02, 12 39 46 AM.jpg
Done!

But then of course I couldn't really put it on myself because the whole broken hand thing. So, I enlisted the help of my nephew to be my hands.

Photo Dec 05, 12 53 08 PM.jpg

The gutter mounts I got (GM100) are 5 1/2" tall, and that puts the rack a little too high in my opinion. So I drilled an extra hole in the wing of the mount and moved the arm to the next hole down. This lowered the rack about an inch, and it's it's perfect now (about an inch above the roof at the highest spot of the Jeep).

Photo Dec 05, 11 28 01 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 06, 11 20 00 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 05, 12 03 17 PM.jpg

Took some finagling to get it aligned properly but I think it turned out really nice.

Photo Dec 05, 4 53 45 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 05, 1 03 34 PM.jpg
Also bought a few of these boxes at tractor supply. They're super-sturdy, and they're a perfect fit when sitting three wide.

Photo Dec 07, 5 56 00 PM.jpg

Almost ready for our first trip!

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Love the rack, its just clean and looks like it belongs there. Good call on lowering it with the "custom" holes

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Welp, I got the CB all hooked up this past weekend. Been listening for the past few days. It's interesting what you hear on there!

Photos:
File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg

I went with this one I found on Amazon: Unidan Bearcat 880. I'll be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing as far as radios go, and the choice was based mainly on reviews and the features that I could guess I would need. I think I guessed ok, but it is bigger than I thought it'd be. Ended up mounting it to the right of the shifter instead of a more fun location, like on top of the dash. Oh well, it's ok, I suppose. Not very many places to put them in this Jeep.

For the antenna, again, I just went on reviews and bought a 3' Firestik. The mount is the JCR taillight mount. I also got the HD spring for the antenna.

As soon as I hooked it up, I tested the SWR (thanks to advice from @maktruk ). It has a calibration thing in the radio, so I calibrated the best I could, but the "RF OUT" and "ANT" tests kept failing. I read up on it and figured my antenna mount wasn't grounding properly (I could not get continuity from a grounded bolt to the mount on my multimeter). So, I sanded down the back of the mount to bare metal (it's powercoated) and did the same on the underside of the mount where the stud meets the mount underneath. This fixed the ground issue (I now have continuity from the mount to a grounded bolt on the multimeter). And it fixed the RF OUT test, but the ANT still failed.

Luckily, there is a CB shop a few miles from the house, and I took it there and he checked it out and said it was all good. SWR was fine, and the radio was working well. I think I'll take it back soon and have him peak and tune it. I would've done it while I was there, but I had to get to a meeting. Anywho, it seems to be working well now, so off I go! At this point, after no changes, the RF and ANT tests both passed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So now, I'm about halfway through this study guide for the ham test. It's very interesting stuff. Maybe I'll take the test one day soon. For now, I'll just hang out on the CB and cut my teeth a bit. :grin:

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Also ordered an overhead console. It was optional on these Jeeps. It has a built-in thermometer, mpg gauge and maybe something else? I kinda like the idea of a sunglass holder up there (and more room for switches and whatnot :grin:). Anyway, I'm not sure how easy that install will be, but I think I'll do my headliner at the same time. Should be a fun Saturday...

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice build man!
Also ordered an overhead console. It was optional on these Jeeps. It has a built-in thermometer, mpg gauge and maybe something else? I kinda like the idea of a sunglass holder up there (and more room for switches and whatnot :grin:). Anyway, I'm not sure how easy that install will be, but I think I'll do my headliner at the same time. Should be a fun Saturday...

One of these overhead displays? ;) 20160121_170355.jpg

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

Yes! Luckyyyy. I actually bought a Grand Cherokee one. I'm not sure it'll attach correctly because the XJ ones have the visor attachments. Is there a screw in the middle of the front of yours?

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

I'm in the middle of replacing some things on the Jeep. The header is cracked, probably because of this:

Mount1.jpg

So, I replaced the motor mounts, and got a new header. Figured while I had it out, I'd wrap it with the titanium wrap. Maybe cut down on some heat in the engine bay. Not sure if it'll actually do anything. I guess we'll see.

Header.jpg

Also replacing the power steering pump as it's leaking really bad now.

Oh yeah, and I have a nice little order I'm making this week. It's a super fun one! :smiley:

T

TheBarefootFamily

I like a good overlanding build make life easy when you bugout for the week or weekend.

Reactions: benmmc

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
Nice build I have been working on mine for about 3 months, all i have done so far is 4.5 short arm and 31s and installed my ham radio.