Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey all. Figure I’ll ask the question to see what the consensus is.

With your A Pillar Lights, do you have them pointing forward, or angled toward the ditch?

I had two Flood Lights on my Jeep, forward facing because I used them more for work/construction, but I am considering the direction of the lights I am going to install on the new rig.

So for you old pros, what’s your angle?

Reactions: Chris.Ingram

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps

With your A Pillar Lights, do you have them pointing forward, or angled toward the ditch?

I had two Flood Lights on my Jeep, forward facing because I used them more for work/construction, but I am considering the direction of the lights I am going to install on the new rig.

I have a dual setup. One set (flood beam) towards the ditch and one set (spot beam) facing forward.

Attachments

Chris.Ingram

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gilbert, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ingram
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Air Force
I’ve got mine set angled more diagonal to grab as much as the road and ditches. If I need them to shine light to my flanks I’ll adjust as needed.

But since my town has a LOT of people who drive with their brights on I choose to weaponize my pods and flash oncoming douchebags.

I’m thinking of doing the same for the rear too

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

For me, the a-pillar lights and roof light bar are for route finding on the beach after dark. I find the head lights do all I need on the highway or dorestry road driving and since all lights above the headlights are illegal on public roads...... they never get used on the highway or forestry roads.

The roof monted LED bar gives extra forward light, the a-piller cubes are set at about 20 degrees off straight. I set them up to overlanp the light bar and head lights and set them as wide as possible. So far I love how they work.

They are rarely on over 20mph.
PS, they are side lighters with 2 LEDS at 90 degrees to the truck side

DSC_0049.jpg

Off topic but my light bar is set back so there is no glare off the hood and a single row so it fits under the roof rack bar.

DSCN1172.jpeg

Last edited:

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Thanks all, great answers and the general consensus I am seeing is to widen the field of view for ditches.

On my JK, the floods were more for maintenance of traffic while working DOT roads, so they were straight on to help with work areas. I never adjusted them when I left that line of work.

Now that I’m working on the new rig, and hoping to do more camping, exploring, driving off the beaten path, I wanted the opinions of my peers! Thank you all again!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi,

I also have a combination of both. A pair more in the width shining to see what is going on in the ditch or the bushes on the right and left and on the rollcage two lightbars that shine as a spot far into the distance for fast rides where I want to see far in advance what is happening in front of me.

One more thing, please always think about the other sides of the vehicle. For example, good illumination to the rear. A standard reversing light often doesn't give much illumination. Especially when working behind the vehicle in the dark, such as during a recovery operation. From my own experience I can say that it can also be helpful when driving in the dark with a trailer on narrow tracks. Please possibly also think about illumination to the sides of the vehicle if you are out a lot in the dark. This can be very helpful on narrow tracks and in camp as well.

And what is also worthwhile (if possible and available and not yet installed) to think about upgrading the main headlights to LED technology.

I always say you can never have enough light - haha. And here is a photo of my current light setup forward: LED headlights, two high beams with a low reference figure, so so more flood type and the lightbars with 10 degree spot on the cage:

IMG_4655.jpg

Enjoy working on your new rig @Padams7

Cheers, Björn

Last edited:

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

A standard reversing light often doesn't give much illumination. Especially when working behind the vehicle in the dark, such as during a recovery operation.
Nice looking rig Bjorn!

I feel you on the reverse lights

Thanks for the info and well wishes!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice looking rig Bjorn!

I feel you on the reverse lights

Thanks for the info and well wishes!
Thank you!

Here is a rear view with a 35 watt VisionX worklight on the upper left and a 10 watt LED auxiliary light for reversing and maneuvering on the lower right.

IMG_4658.jpg

Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice Marston Mat on your rig.
Thanks mate. I rarely use them for recovery, due to the profile of the Mud Terrain tires and three 100% lockers (front, middle and rear diff). But when I need them they are very practical and very universally usable.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
I’ve got mine set angled more diagonal to grab as much as the road and ditches. If I need them to shine light to my flanks I’ll adjust as needed.

But since my town has a LOT of people who drive with their brights on I choose to weaponize my pods and flash oncoming douchebags.

I put two hella floods on my rear to help with backing up and to flash tailgaters.

Reactions: Chris.Ingram

Chris.Ingram

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gilbert, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ingram
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Air Force

I put two hella floods on my rear to help with backing up and to flash tailgaters.
100% the plan brother

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
By the way, I just thought of something else when I was working on my rig this afternoon. I used to wonder in the past why there were dimmable LED light bars. Darth Vader wouldn't dim his laser sword either - haha. But it's true, light can be too bright depending on the situation, so that it is rather annoying when too much light is on. It's not for nothing that the blue flashing light on some ambulances etc. can be dimmed.