Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Much better me thinks. The high ones may be okay for what they are designed for (collisions) . I personally think they are a safety hazard because they block your view to the rear and side of the car excessively. I removed mine completely, even the front ones. If mine were like the small one you have I would have left them in place. I wear a brimmed hat (we all do in New Mexico) and it's impossible to wear a brimmed hat with head rests in place.
The low profile ones are definitely the way to go. Having a vehicle that rides on the same platform as a handful of others has its benefits. There wasn’t a single second gen Frontier at the junkyard, but I did find a titan, pathfinder, and an Xterra. All of which have some interchangeable parts with the Frontier. Good news for down the road if I wanna grab some trail spares.

dlstock

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alpena, Alpena County, Michigan, United States
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Stockdale
Member #

I have a 2” lift on it’s way that should go on sometime this week and then I’m not sure. I think recovery points should probably be my starting point. I don’t have anything in the rear of the truck so putting a trailer hitch on there will be a must. It would also be nice to have the ability to tow a small boat or trailer/camper once in awhile. After that I’ll probably be saving up and keeping my eyes out for a used camper shell to mount my ARB awning to. I hate how expensive they are new and would much rather buy a cheap used one and just have it repainted. I just need to wait around until I find one that fits.
Totally agree on the recovery points. Getting stuck with nothing to attach to at the backend sucks. I hate the costs of new stuff as well. I know things cost more, but a 5 x 6 trailer costing close to $30k is insane.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have a 2” lift on it’s way that should go on sometime this week and then I’m not sure. I think recovery points should probably be my starting point. I don’t have anything in the rear of the truck so putting a trailer hitch on there will be a must. It would also be nice to have the ability to tow a small boat or trailer/camper once in awhile. After that I’ll probably be saving up and keeping my eyes out for a used camper shell to mount my ARB awning to. I hate how expensive they are new and would much rather buy a cheap used one and just have it repainted. I just need to wait around until I find one that fits.
Keep an eye on craigslist in your town and surrounding towns. I find camper shells quite often in my searches. I'm looking for one too, but I want the taller one and they are more scarce. I consider a trailer hitch an absolute necessity along with rear tow hooks. I don't have a full size winch or mount so I use (temporarily) a portable hitch. It's only a 3000# wench but with my rear tow hook it doubles the pulling power via a snatch block to 6000#. I have used that little winch to pull may people out of snow banks and ditches. I use it in combo with my trailer hitch, it hangs from the trailer ball with a hook type devise that came with the winch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Totally agree on the recovery points. Getting stuck with nothing to attach to at the backend sucks. I hate the costs of new stuff as well. I know things cost more, but a 5 x 6 trailer costing close to $30k is insane.
There was a day when manufacturing companies would settle for a 10% profit. Co-operate companies today insist on 200% profits, I refuse to play their game.
Just today Harbor freight was giving a 70% discount on many products. I guarantee they are still making a profit and it go's to show the excessive sales prices normally charged. Why do we get ripped off, because we allow it to happen.

I'm all for making as many things as I can which justifies buying the equipment needed to build your own STUFF. Making things doubles the pleasure of the adventure. I use to tell my wife, when I'm in the back yard or in the garage doing something, you KNOW where I am. She was always a big help when I built something and enjoyed doing and being a part of my thing which became her thing too.

dlstock

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Alpena, Alpena County, Michigan, United States
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Stockdale
Member #

Totally agree. Im not against companies making a profit but I do believe most are playing on the “it’s offroad capable so I can charge triple”. I’m in the research stage for building an overland trailer. Spent the week at OXW19 and got a ton of pictures and ideas. Now to figure out exactly what is needed and then what is wanted. Then it’s off to the races and implement them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Totally agree. Im not against companies making a profit but I do believe most are playing on the “it’s offroad capable so I can charge triple”. I’m in the research stage for building an overland trailer. Spent the week at OXW19 and got a ton of pictures and ideas. Now to figure out exactly what is needed and then what is wanted. Then it’s off to the races and implement them.
Thumbs up, I like you attitude. Life is all about learning from the time we are born. If you don't try anything you don't learn. An old friend of mine wanted a Ham radio station but couldn't afford to buy one. It took awhile , a lot of mistakes and a lot of time but he finally had one. He built everything from kits (made in America with good instructions) . Over the years he had become so involved with building all the time, he couldn't stop, he began building for others. He didn't get rich but he had extra income after retirement from what was by then a continuous hobby. My point being he could have opened a business and made lots of money because of his learning something by doing. I think being a jack of all trades is a good thing and every Man should become one. Man is a natural born provider by nature but modern men have forgotten the skills of their ancestors, and computers have replaced the skills. Men who are good providers will inherit the earth if it ever becomes necessary. OB is the closest thing I know to people who will survive the situations that could be forced on them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The low profile ones are definitely the way to go. Having a vehicle that rides on the same platform as a handful of others has its benefits. There wasn’t a single second gen Frontier at the junkyard, but I did find a titan, pathfinder, and an Xterra. All of which have some interchangeable parts with the Frontier. Good news for down the road if I wanna grab some trail spares.
Thought you might like this video

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Thought you might like this video
I wish I could run a setup like that. I’ve only got a 5’ bed though and there wouldn’t be much room left for the wife and 2 dogs! We use an ARB awning with the attached awning room. Gives us walls and a floor, enough room to stand up comfortably, and we can fit a full size air mattress with plenty of room to spare. If the bugs are bad we can also eat and cook inside it which is nice too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I wish I could run a setup like that. I’ve only got a 5’ bed though and there wouldn’t be much room left for the wife and 2 dogs! We use an ARB awning with the attached awning room. Gives us walls and a floor, enough room to stand up comfortably, and we can fit a full size air mattress with plenty of room to spare. If the bugs are bad we can also eat and cook inside it which is nice too.
Oops, a little oversight, I forget not everyone is single like me. I see your point and didn't know your truck bed was less than 6' long. Anyway you have the solution with the awning. I want a Gazelle G5 tent badly. It's almost like bringing your house with you, the design is very good if you don't mind not having a floor. Good outdoor rugs fixes that ! Watching those youtube video's last night I was surprised at how many campers said they bought their caps on craigslist very cheaply.
Some very nice ones for under $300..

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Oops, a little oversight, I forget not everyone is single like me. I see your point and didn't know your truck bed was less than 6' long. Anyway you have the solution with the awning. I want a Gazelle G5 tent badly. It's almost like bringing your house with you, the design is very good if you don't mind not having a floor. Good outdoor rugs fixes that ! Watching those youtube video's last night I was surprised at how many campers said they bought their caps on craigslist very cheaply.
Some very nice ones for under $300..
This is the setup I have for my Cherokee, although the room is not up in this picture. It works pretty well. I’ll be taking a road trip up the east coast (GA to ME) in a few weeks so I’m sure I can find a camper shell somewhere between here and there that isn’t too far out of my way so I can get this awning mounted and take the Frontier camping 100512

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is the setup I have for my Cherokee, although the room is not up in this picture. It works pretty well. I’ll be taking a road trip up the east coast (GA to ME) in a few weeks so I’m sure I can find a camper shell somewhere between here and there that isn’t too far out of my way so I can get this awning mounted and take the Frontier camping View attachment 100512
Poor little jeep, she gonna feel naked without her cloths on. Good luck on your trip, stay safe, drink lots of water, get plenty of exercise,
Watch out for them blue coats (yankees) behind the bushes !!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What OB build is complete without morale patches?? Only been collecting for a little while but I’d love to cover the roof of this thing.View attachment 100725
Why is the American flag upside down (the one next to A1C wings patch) in comparison to the others. Only an old fogy would notice that :- }

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Why is the American flag upside down (the one next to A1C wings patch) in comparison to the others. Only an old fogy would notice that :- }
Good catch! It’s a reverse flag because it’s worn on the right shoulder on our uniforms. The stars are always supposed to point forwards so when you wear it on that side it’s opposite, just like if you were carrying a flag.

Reactions: AZ Trooper

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good catch! It’s a reverse flag because it’s worn on the right shoulder on our uniforms. The stars are always supposed to point forwards so when you wear it on that side it’s opposite, just like if you were carrying a flag.
Okay, see there, you never get too old to learn something every day. Thanks