A new chapter in life.. Enter the Wombat.

• HTML tutorial

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

So for the last twenty something years I have been the proud owner of a '85 Toyota Hilux and "Pete" has been the most dependable vehicle that I have ever been around. I retired Pete from daily driving about 6 years ago and started driving my Cummins "Clifford" full time. In that time I really missed having a smaller truck.
IMG_0927.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
I had told my wife a several years back that if Toyota ever started making a tan truck again with a manual transmission I was going to buy one. I am guessing that that statement stuck in her head. She had taken her FJ in for service and was wandering the showroom at the deal and found the 2016 Tacoma brochures in the rack and grabbed one. Later that evening I came home from work, showered and sat down to rest she walks up with the brochure, hands it to me and says "Go order your truck." When your wife tells you to do something you best do it... At least that is what I've been told.

Fast forward 6 months. My new Truck shows up at the dealership just the way I wanted it. Four doors, 4wd, rear locker, and a manual transmission. IMG_1744.jpg

The truck has treated me great so far. The family and I have already taken it on several pretty good adventures. I have also made some modifications to get the truck where I need it to be. This is a catch up thread so I am going to do a photo dump to get it up to date for you guys and gals. Here we go!

IMG_1756.jpg
First mod, shift knob.
IMG_1963.jpg
Brake control installed.
IMG_2035.jpg
In the wild for the first time.
IMG_3076.jpg
P.I.N.S. with the wife for the weekend.
IMG_1897.jpg
Picked up new Trailer after selling the goosenecks.
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg
Earning its keep hauling "Pete" and materials.
IMG_2338.JPG
Ready to head South.
IMG_2375.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
Beach bumming.IMG_2779.JPG
Wombat got a new roof rack and a new girlfriend in the same week.IMG_2885.JPGIMG_2912.JPG IMG_2928.JPGIMG_2938.JPG IMG_2985.JPG
Had some days off so I decided to build some stuff. IMG_3108.JPGIMG_3157.JPG IMG_3352.jpg
Big Bend with my son for a week.
IMG_3464.JPG
Heading to the Frio River, stopping at Nora's is a must!IMG_3478.JPG
Some eye relief on the hood with just a touch of 1985 added for style.

Last edited:

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I believe that has y'all up to date on my build sorry about the picture heavy first post. There will be more to come. I am currently gathering materials to build a trailer to move all my camping gear to so I will also add a build thread in the trailer section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Merlo