a little insight!

• HTML tutorial

nicksortino1999

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

East Islip, NY, USA
Member #

hey guys, i’m new to this group. i have a buddy who introduced me to his overlanding friends and after a night around the fire, grillin it up and shootin the breeze, i want in. i ordered my badge and got my member number! now comes the need for some advice/ tips/ help and guidance! i drive a 2004 chevy silverado 2500hd crew cab long bed, 6inch lift on 37’s. is that even practical to overland with? if so... how would i get the ball rolling? i wanna do a roof rack, roof top tent, and bed rack. if anyone else has something similar would i be able to see your builds?? thank you everyone in advance!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Sounds fun! I had big plans to overland in my F250 4x4, but recently traded it for a 2019 Toyota Rav4 so I kinda went in thenopposite direction, heh.

Everyone's tastes are different, so just peruse the forums until you get a feel for the type of camping, driving, and overland-centric activities you want to do.

Tip: I'd recommend searching in google for stuff on the site, rather than the site's search engine. Type "[search term] site:overlandbound.com," without the quotation marks, and Google will hook you up.

For example:
rooftop tent site:overlandbound.com

Got me this list of existing threads.

*edit*

To be clear, though, the most important thing is to get out there and simply enjoy vehicle-dependent travel! Doesn't matter if you're in a tiny hoopty or a big honkin' truck. Of course, we like to admire those who are hardcore enough to spend weeks at a time in the most scenic spots. But, I often find myself simply driving to nearby public lands and just spending a couple hours playing with air rifles, driving a couple trails, or even reading a book while laying in the back of my vehicle. Anything to just get out with your rig!

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

We have a threads about fullsize overland rigs!
Just use the search function and search for "fullsize" there is plenty of information available.

Reactions: nicksortino1999

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

hey guys, i’m new to this group. i have a buddy who introduced me to his overlanding friends and after a night around the fire, grillin it up and shootin the breeze, i want in. i ordered my badge and got my member number! now comes the need for some advice/ tips/ help and guidance! i drive a 2004 chevy silverado 2500hd crew cab long bed, 6inch lift on 37’s. is that even practical to overland with? if so... how would i get the ball rolling? i wanna do a roof rack, roof top tent, and bed rack. if anyone else has something similar would i be able to see your builds?? thank you everyone in advance!
nicksortino,
Welcome to this forum. As others have said, look at the knowledge here to get some great information on Overlanding a Full size vehicle. I do know that the trails in the Eastern part of this Country can be tight and pinstripes are going to happen. As much as I love my Jeeps, my Full-sized truck would be the vehicle I keep if I had to go to one vehicle. You’re truck sounds like a nice one and will work on most of the trails off-road. I know you will find some awesome people and new friends here. I have! Vance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicksortino1999

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Welcome - yes, for sure, great rig to overland with. Don't think about overloading as a specific type of trail or specific trip, overloading is vehicle based exploration and adventure. you can do that in any vehicle. Lots of full size rigs out and about - @Scott has one of the baddest FS rigs I've seen and wheeled with - across the Mojave and Death Valley.

Check out the FS rig forum. I personally am diving into this as well, building up a '16 tundra crewman for much longer distance that I do in my 4R.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

nicksortino1999

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

East Islip, NY, USA
Member #

nicksortino,
Welcome to this forum. As others have said, look at the knowledge here to get some great information on Overlanding a Full size vehicle. I do know that the trails in the Eastern part of this Country can be tight and pinstripes are going to happen. As much as I love my Jeeps, my Full-sized truck would be the vehicle I keep if I had to go to one vehicle. You’re truck sounds like a nice one and will work on most of the trails off-road. I know you will find some awesome people and new friends here. I have! Vance.
thank you! i can’t wait man!

Rocksylvania

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jason
Last Name
M
Member #

Full size overlanding is absolutely possible. I think it's easier out west where the trails are less likely to deal with encroaching trees and bushes. Many of the east coast trails are jeep trails. My 2nd gen taco was pretty well pinstriped after Bald Eagle state forest. The biggest advantage to fullsize, in my opinion, is the roominess of the cab for water sensitive items.
Not great quality but here's a link to a quick video I took at the time. Paddy Mt Trail pinstriping

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Use what you have and see how it works for you. There is no perfect do it all Overland rig. We have a Jeep with teardrop trailer. It works for most what we do. Our teardrop is on the heavy side because we wanted comforts, 8” mattress, water storage, water heater, heat. I might build a lightweight Expo trailer with a RTT for when we need to go light. I also know there may be times when a RTT on the Jeep would be best for some trails. A RTT doesn’t work for us for our main camping.

When you buy don’t buy vehicle specific until you know you have the right for you vehicle.

Todd

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I like the idea of not buying vehicle specific. As much as possible, mostly for reasons of economy, most of the "overlanding" gear I've bought can be transferred from my existing rig to a future rig if need be. Even my roof rack is modular and can be removed and adapted to a new vehicle if necessary.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

45115087-D275-4744-9926-BF003882BDF6.jpeg
Pinstripes are full sized trail rated eblems

My 01 has worked well for me for years not always the rig and not always the driver but it is the drive knowing their and the rigs limitations

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

With a full size as a base platform I'd skip the RTT and do a cap that is a little higher than the cab and then go to town building storage and a bed platform inside. You'll always be ready to move and you won't have to deal with putting away a wet tent or listen to the tent flap all night long in high winds. There are pros to the RTT for sure but a cap on a big pickup just makes a lot of sense. :)

Reactions: CR-Venturer