Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Hello! I've started this thread to keep track of all the questions may need to ask while building out a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon I fondly refer to as "Robbie".

Thank you in advance to all who take moment to read and chime in as they can. Truly appreciated.

As for the rear seat removal question I started out with - was a lot harder than expected, and if anyone comes across this feed with the same question - absolutely message me! I recommend first removing the front floor bolts, and then having someone hold UP/BACK the seats to access the back row of bolts. We did this in the opposite order, as it "felt" like the way to start, but in hindsight, would have been significantly easier as it provides far better working space. Lessons learned. Removing the bolts absolutely a "muscle" job with a healthy side of elbow grease. Lifting seats out - easy.

Jennifer

PS>>> Building a sleeping platform/storage space and removing the seats to use the open space for gear storage (for the person who may question why I want to do this.) It's for a 6-12 month road trip and want all the space I can to use for interior storage.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jennifer,
Hope you give us some pictures of your work and buildup of your JKU. Those star torx bolts that hold the seat belts down are sure fun to undue! Benz.

Reactions: Jennifer Langille

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Jennifer,
Hope you give us some pictures of your work and buildup of your JKU. Those star torx bolts that hold the seat belts down are sure fun to undue! Benz.
Will do on the photos, have been posting Instagram stories of my progress thus far (@jennifer.langille) - What I wish I had, was a video of all 120 lbs of me trying my hand at those bolts! Moderately comical!

Just returned home from a few days at friends who help build out my sleeping platform (6 inches) to provide storage below. I have a Gobi rack and going to pull a page out of Jake's book and store most of my gear up top. Though will say, removing those seats were well worth it, can not believe the amount of storage space they are providing me. Really excited!

Thank you for the note! Promise, photo updates to come this week! :)

Reactions: k9sar

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

So, what kind of Jeep? What are your overall plans for overlanding? What are your build plans?

I removed the long side seat in my son't jeep wrangler 4 door and build a platform for the dog, and you are right, a ton more room.

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

So, what kind of Jeep? What are your overall plans for overlanding? What are your build plans?

I removed the long side seat in my son't jeep wrangler 4 door and build a platform for the dog, and you are right, a ton more room.
I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and the "build plan" is based more on making modifications as I grow/learn. I have A LOT to learn on the stock vehicle which I modified rims/tires, and installed a Gobi Rack from the start. Moving into my Jeep full-time 12/1 to travel for a balance of work (I work for myself) and time with family, and currently working on dialing in the interior space for life on the road with a dog in colder climates as I'll be traveling from New England to Utah, and then around the upper Northwest for the winter.

My "overloading plan" for the next 6-months will be fairly elementary, while my "big goal" is to build confidence (skill level), and have the vehicle prepared for possible TransAmTrail Fall of 2018. Additional modifications won't happen till Spring 2018. My first priorities are to upgrade battery system for auxiliary needs, better tires, rock sliders, lift, and possible tweak to the suspension (wait and see how current stock suspicion rides fully loaded.)

Thank you for the note/reply/questions! I'll post pictures in the next day or so.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and the "build plan" is based more on making modifications as I grow/learn. I have A LOT to learn on the stock vehicle which I modified rims/tires, and installed a Gobi Rack from the start. Moving into my Jeep full-time 12/1 to travel for a balance of work (I work for myself) and time with family, and currently working on dialing in the interior space for life on the road with a dog in colder climates as I'll be traveling from New England to Utah, and then around the upper Northwest for the winter.

My "overloading plan" for the next 6-months will be fairly elementary, while my "big goal" is to build confidence (skill level), and have the vehicle prepared for possible TransAmTrail Fall of 2018. Additional modifications won't happen till Spring 2018. My first priorities are to upgrade battery system for auxiliary needs, better tires, rock sliders, lift, and possible tweak to the suspension (wait and see how current stock suspicion rides fully loaded.)

Thank you for the note/reply/questions! I'll post pictures in the next day or so.
Jennifer,
Sounds like you are on the right track! I have a few suggestions that might help? Try and do as many short trips as possible, while getting ready for "the big one". Load your JKU like you would for your expedition. You will learn what mods are needed by doing so. Your JKU "Robbie" is very capable stock. With a trip such as yours staying close to stock is best where you can. The mods you are thinking about sound like a good plan to me. I would not go more than 3" on a lift. I would not go to large a tire, it is hard on parts because of the unsprung weight. Also with a load on your Jeep already, to large a tire and then you will need gears. Are you going to have an onboard shower? I would consider installing a winch, just for the insurance of self recovery if needed. Or helping out others!

You make it up this way and need a place to stay, you are welcome. Any help with places to see and the like here in the PNW, just ask. I hope to be doing a trip such as yours this next spring. Benz.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jennifer,
Just a side note. I am planning to to do the US. portion, starting South at the US/ Mexico border, and going North to Canada. Making it to EJS this year, finally. Also, trying to stay on the overland route the adventure motorcyclist use. Maybe, meet up with you some place in route! Benz.

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

Jennifer,
Just a side note. I am planning to to do the US. portion, starting South at the US/ Mexico border, and going North to Canada. Making it to EJS this year, finally. Also, trying to stay on the overland route the adventure motorcyclist use. Maybe, meet up with you some place in route! Benz.
Thank you Benz! Connecting with folks is a primary reason why I joined OverlandBound - thank you so much for the support! I have a number of smaller trips planned while I travel throughout the Northeast all of next month and begin my long-term travels along/down through the Eastern states for a southernly route over and up to Utah (my HQ for winter 17-18). From there I'll make smaller out and back trips all winter till May, where it's my intention to attend Overland Expo West to connect with more folks, before I start my return trip East and begin the next phase of my build. The idea is I would travel the TransAm back West to spend another winter that way (where the snow is better!)

Also thank you for all the suggestions. The winch is high on my list, but I first want to learn how to safely USE one. In Vermont, my goodness, had I a winch I could be pulling Subarus out of ditches weekly... they may be our state's unofficial car... they are the #1 car in a ditch every winter!

Much gratitude!

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The Rubicon has some nice spring, so I decided on a Rough Country leveling kit for less than $200. Installed the same thing on my wife and brothers jeeps. Allows me to run 35 inch tires on stock rims with wheel spacers without any issue. We spend a week in Moab every year, and run the tough trails, and my 2014 doesn't wimper at all. I upgraded the shocks to King 2.5 shocks, expensive, but the improvement is difficult to imagine without riding a jeep with Kings.

Agree on the dual battery setup. I have mine to install, and run Optima batteries.

Rock sliders are not all created equal, and a lot of them fold up if you come down hard. As a result, I opted for the EVO weld on units. Indestructible...

Jennifer Langille

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, USA
First Name
Jennifer
Last Name
Langille
Member #

The Rubicon has some nice spring, so I decided on a Rough Country leveling kit for less than $200. Installed the same thing on my wife and brothers jeeps. Allows me to run 35 inch tires on stock rims with wheel spacers without any issue. We spend a week in Moab every year, and run the tough trails, and my 2014 doesn't wimper at all. I upgraded the shocks to King 2.5 shocks, expensive, but the improvement is difficult to imagine without riding a jeep with Kings.

Agree on the dual battery setup. I have mine to install, and run Optima batteries.

Rock sliders are not all created equal, and a lot of them fold up if you come down hard. As a result, I opted for the EVO weld on units. Indestructible...
Thank you for sharing this scoop!