A couple days exploring Cherokee, Pisgah and Nantahala Nat'l Forest

• HTML tutorial

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Thank you so much I am planning a large trip around March or April and this helps a lot how long is this and how long did it take you and where did you camp thanks for your help again
"How long?" will depend on how much sight-seeing you do. If you drive the portion I described without any stops, it can be done in a day. If you stop to take in all the sights, 2-3 days. I was last in the area about 6 weeks ago and some of the roads were closed due to the flooding that occurred in May.
As to the camping, there are a handful of dispersed sights on Old 105 which is the west rim of Linville Gorge but they are very popular due to the scenery and go fast. For less primitive camping, there is the Julian Price campground on the BRP near Blowing Rock. I'm sure there are other areas as well so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Reactions: SCtundra

Copperjon

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
Hey Guys, I'm brand new to the forum so bear with me here. My buddy and I are planning an "overlanding" trip through pisgah in February 2019 and I stumbled on this thread from a google search. We typically backpack for a week or so and have spent the last couple of trips covering the Art Loeb and the Roan Highlands at Carver's Gap. We have been chased out the last 2 years by snow (Due to road closures) so we are wanting to truck camp this year. Using the gpx file posted above, I see the 150 or so miles of trails. My question is what kind of condition are these roads in? I have a 2012 Ram 3500 and my buddy has a 2014 F150. Neither one of us want to tear up our rigs out here and all the videos I see online are mostly Yotas and Jeeps. Can a full size truck navigate these roads easily? I'll be driving in from Florida and my buddy is in East NC on a job right now. We ideally would like 3 to 4 days camping with a few day hikes to interesting locations. Both of us love the snow, cold weather, high elevations, water falls, and I'd like do stop along the way for alittle fly fishing as well if it works out. We both have camper shells and are looking to pull off of the trail somewhere and camp each night. Does anyone have any suggestions for a trip like this or where to start? There's alot of info on that gpx file...Thanks in advance!

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Reactions: Copperjon

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Hey Guys, I'm brand new to the forum so bear with me here. My buddy and I are planning an "overlanding" trip through pisgah in February 2019 and I stumbled on this thread from a google search. We typically backpack for a week or so an8 d have spent the last couple of trips covering the Art Loeb and the Roan Highlands at Carver's Gap. We have been chased out the last 2 years by snow (Due to road closures) so we are wanting to truck camp this year. Using the gpx file posted above, I see the 150 or so miles of trails. My question is what kind of condition are these roads in? I have a 2012 Ram 3500 and my buddy has a 2014 F150. Neither one of us want to tear up our rigs out here and all the videos I see online are mostly Yotas and Jeeps. Can a full size truck navigate these roads easily? I'll be driving in from Florida and my buddy is in East NC on a job right now. We ideally would like 3 to 4 days camping with a few day hikes to interesting locations. Both of us love the snow, cold weather, high elevations, water falls, and I'd like do stop along the way for alittle fly fishing as well if it works out. We both have camper shells and are looking to pull off of the trail somewhere and camp each night. Does anyone have any suggestions for a trip like this or where to start? There's alot of info on that gpx file...Thanks in advance!
Copperjon,

If you're referring to the 150 miles I posted, you or your buddy's truck will have no problem navigating them. The only caveat would be with snow and even then, 4WD will get you thru if you have a modicum of skill. Most are county gravel roads which happen to go thru some very scenic areas. As @OperationContingency mentioned above, there are 6-8 roadside sites on Old 105. These are very popular, even when it's snow covered. Since most of the other roads are county maintenance, there are not many if any roadside campsites. One possible exception is Wilson's Creek. There are not specific campsites on it but there are several roadside parking areas to handle summer traffic. You might get away with camping there for one night if you come in during late afternoon and depart early. If any one has local knowledge of this, please chime in. The Wilson's Creek area has miles of hiking trails and I've been told, numerous waterfalls. They have a visitors center which you can probably find with a little Google-fu. Another possible source of local info would be to call Betsey's Ole Country Store. It's located at the north end of the Wilson's Creek road.

Good luck and have fun!

Copperjon

Rank 0

Traveler I

Florida
Copperjon,

If you're referring to the 150 miles I posted, you or your buddy's truck will have no problem navigating them. The only caveat would be with snow and even then, 4WD will get you thru if you have a modicum of skill. Most are county gravel roads which happen to go thru some very scenic areas. As @OperationContingency mentioned above, there are 6-8 roadside sites on Old 105. These are very popular, even when it's snow covered. Since most of the other roads are county maintenance, there are not many if any roadside campsites. One possible exception is Wilson's Creek. There are not specific campsites on it but there are several roadside parking areas to handle summer traffic. You might get away with camping there for one night if you come in during late afternoon and depart early. If any one has local knowledge of this, please chime in. The Wilson's Creek area has miles of hiking trails and I've been told, numerous waterfalls. They have a visitors center which you can probably find with a little Google-fu. Another possible source of local info would be to call Betsey's Ole Country Store. It's located at the north end of the Wilson's Creek road.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you!

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

One other thing you may want to check, there were several roads in this area washed out in floods in late spring. I was last in that area in August and some were still closed. Since that time there have been some additional heavy rains (5+ inches) and last week they had well over a foot of snow. FYI

millville

Rank 0

Traveler I

@Copperjon @JButtress I'm a long time backpacker and just got my first 4x4 vehicle. I'm trying to build my offroad skills and thought it'd be nice to do so with a few other rigs nearby. This February trip sounded like a great opportunity to do some learn'in; I'd love to tag along if this is still in the works! :D

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I was up on 105 this past weekend. The southern part is in great shape, but the northern part has a couple of spots that are rutted out pretty good. Should be no problems with 4wd, but I was behind an outback and some cross over I didn't recognize and neither could make it. Couple of trees were down, but we cut and moved one and someone else got the other. Not a bad idea for one of you to have a good hand saw or small chain saw. The ranger that patrols that area is named Wade. He's a good guy with a tough job, wave at him if you see him out there. The wood nymphs smile on those who pick up any trash while out there.

OperationContingency

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Morganton, NC
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Shores
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I was up on 105 this past weekend. The southern part is in great shape, but the northern part has a couple of spots that are rutted out pretty good. Should be no problems with 4wd, but I was behind an outback and some cross over I didn't recognize and neither could make it. Couple of trees were down, but we cut and moved one and someone else got the other. Not a bad idea for one of you to have a good hand saw or small chain saw. The ranger that patrols that area is named Wade. He's a good guy with a tough job, wave at him if you see him out there. The wood nymphs smile on those who pick up any trash while out there.
Do you live in the area? I do, as a matter of fact was talking with the Forest Service folks a couple weeks ago and they can really use some help cleaning up 105, specially camp sites that folks leave all to crap. Thinking of organizing an event to get some folks to help out. I go there quite a bit.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Thinking of organizing an event to get some folks to help out.
I'm down in Charlotte, but I backpack in the gorge a lot especially during winter. I hang out with a group that does some trail work up there (Gorge Rats). Looks like you're in MoTown, so you may know a few of them. We may have even crossed paths at som point. (Green jeep TJ with a roof rack) There's a couple of sites on 105 we frequent. Every time I leave I stop at each campsite on the way out and pick up any trash I find and make sure the fires are out. We don't need another 2016 up there again. I can provide valuable market research to anyone needing to know the most popular beer drank by idjits who chuck trash out their window.

Let me know if you're going to try and organize something. I'll try to join and will put the word out to see if I can get some others out there as well. We're always looking for a good excuse to get together.

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

There are some really good areas around AVL. Mostly in the Eastern Tenn side. I have yet to drive it but the Trans America Trail can be picked up in Asheville I believe

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

Do you live in the area? I do, as a matter of fact was talking with the Forest Service folks a couple weeks ago and they can really use some help cleaning up 105, specially camp sites that folks leave all to crap. Thinking of organizing an event to get some folks to help out. I go there quite a bit.
I would definitely be down to help out. I was driving this summer through the campgrounds in Hendersonville (Passed Horshoe campgrounds) the ones that drive in through Pisgah, checking out the BLM camping spots and about half of the campsites were trashed!

Qmed Joe

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fleetwood, NC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
QMED
Member #

I'm down in Charlotte, but I backpack in the gorge a lot especially during winter. I hang out with a group that does some trail work up there (Gorge Rats). Looks like you're in MoTown, so you may know a few of them. We may have even crossed paths at som point. (Green jeep TJ with a roof rack) There's a couple of sites on 105 we frequent. Every time I leave I stop at each campsite on the way out and pick up any trash I find and make sure the fires are out. We don't need another 2016 up there again. I can provide valuable market research to anyone needing to know the most popular beer drank by idjits who chuck trash out their window.

Let me know if you're going to try and organize something. I'll try to join and will put the word out to see if I can get some others out there as well. We're always looking for a good excuse to get together.
If y’all get something together I’m down. Truck and backpacking gear on the ready!

Reactions: millville

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
So I've been following this thread but not active as much. I need to run through it again. Sorry guys.

Our trip got canceled due to the weather and it was just as well, because the little local trip we attempted instead was foiled by vehicle trouble.

I'm hoping to spend a long weekend out there this summer, with or without family, so I'll try to keep updates posted on that. Would love to meet up with some folks that know the area to bum around with.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Here is part of the Old NC 105 that I mapped on Gaia. I believe I highlighted a few camping spots on there. I’m planning to head there this weekend to see if the snow stuck around. Fun times!

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/YVZWI8iZEA3Js4LlTdCrNnrJ https://www.gaiagps.com/public/YVZWI8iZEA3Js4LlTdCrNnrJ
Added this to my full map. Thanks for the points! I'm wanting to do this trip this summer. I'm hoping to take a long weekend in June to run this.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Added this to my full map. Thanks for the points! I'm wanting to do this trip this summer. I'm hoping to take a long weekend in June to run this.
Old 105 is a great road. I do it every time I'm in the area as the seasons changing make for a different experience every trip. However,....... it is very heavily traveled and that makes finding an open campsite almost impossible during any thing resembling mild weather. From my old man perspective, it also appears to be becoming "camp central" for the Rastafarian group from nearby Boone.

Reactions: Qmed Joe and TerryD