Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I can't decide if I want to sell my Jeep and build my F350. The Jeep is set up more for 4wheeling and rock crawling. Any suggestions? I'm new to overlanding.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
OK I just sold my 98 tj so here is my thought. Jeep too small, f350 too big. I found the tj too small for 2 people for more than a day or too. But wow, sweet truck, does that fit on the trails? I think it will and would make a nice overlanding rig.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

It depends, what type of terrain will you be going through? Also,off-road Jeep parts will be much easier to find compared to Ford off road parts. Give us an idea of what kind of terrain you are going to be out on and you'll get a much better answer because these two options are like comparing apples to oranges.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
With a sturdy trailer I imagine the jeep would be good for a lot longer than 2 days off the grid.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I'm not completely sure in the terrain. I love the Rockies and want to take some trips out there and some day up into Canada. I've been camping in Colorado since I was 11. I know little bit about the terrain there. Really wanting to go to Montana and Wyoming.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My bias opinion would be sell the truck and get an adventure trailer with an RTT and all the goodies. Or sell them both and buy a JKUR. But really, depends on what you want to do. If you're really wanting to go off the grid then as stated, the truck is too big. But, the 2 door without a trailer leaves little to be desired when packing gear. Personally though, if you can swing it, keep them both and use the vehicle that best suits your needs for the type of adventure your about to go on.

Clint1911

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kentucky
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Diven
Member #

I have thought about selling both and getting a JKU. But my family has a farm and cattle and I use the truck a lot for work. So that's not really an option yet. How hard is it to build a trailer? I have a 6x12 trailer that just sits around and isn't used.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

I've used a number of vehicles over the years and it is a matter of how and were you want to use them. One of my most memorable trips was 10 days in a YJ with the wife. We went to Prince Edward island from Bangor Maine. We had a great time and really enjoyed being able to drop the top and run around when it was unpacked. The key was packing. For trips with the wife, daughter and dog we used the roof rack. It is amazing how much stuff you can load up on it. P1010072.JPG
DSCF0289.JPG

Reactions: Clint1911