97 XJ Build

• HTML tutorial

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

The entire front suspension is together minus the brake calipers. I need some different fittings to adapt the calipers to the -3AN brake lines. It sitting a little taller than I really want, but I going to see what it's like once it is on all four wheels.

Reactions: Arailt

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Did some work on the ol' truckster. Got the brakes all installed and bled and set the steering stops. The banjo fitting is limiting my steering a little bit. Anyone ever drilled and tapped a brake caliper for a new feed/banjo location?
Started work on the steering box sector shaft support. XJ's are notorious for ripping the box off the frame. I added front stifferners on the frame, made a new spacer out of 3/16" steel with .250" wall bolt bosses and the sector shaft will be supported by this cross member. I'm hoping to have zero issues.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Finished up the steering box support brace today. Front end is done, minus a front bumper. I'll build the bumper once it's on the road. I'm super excited to get this thing out of the garage. Started tearing apart the rear suspension too. Some pictures from today's garage session.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Started working on the rear suspension. Got the axle out and all the old brackets off. My $300 amazon Lotos plasma cutter just keeps impressing me. It made quick work of the original shock mounts and leaf spring pads. Hung the new springs, pulled them apart and made some quick spacers out of wood to start cycling the rear suspension. All new spring perches, plates and u-bolts from Ruffstuff.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

I had to remake the shackles because the first set I made hit the body at bump and droop. Got the springs all set up, a solid 11" of travel, just need to pull the axle, add the bump pads, re gear and build the truss.

Old vs. New

Dimple die everything

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Started the air bump mounts for the rear. I am so jealous of guys with plasma tables that can slice out parts like this in seconds, its takes so much time to layout and make this kind of stuff. I also scored 200 feet of DOM tubing for $100!! Some of it has some surface rust, but there was no way I could pass it up. Had to ghetto rig from supports from some old 4x6 beams, but it worked.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Cage install started and is moving along slowly. The cage started as a kit from T&J Performance in Orange, CA. I did this to save time and the cost wasn't horrible, $800. They designed it to fit with the stock headliner in place. I'm 6'04" so head room is a major concern for me. I pushed the whole cage as close to the sheet metal as I could. I had to re-make a few of the roof crossbars to gain some headroom. I'm still pretty impressed with the kit.

Failed on making a radius corner gusset, so I cut in half and practiced some out of position welding. Step by step this garage anchor is getting closer.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Got the rear shocks mounted and cycled today. I would have liked to made them straight up. but I was limited by the rear seat. This build is a series of compromises to keep it safe and passenger/ road trip friendly. I will build some sheet metal boxes over the socks to seal the cab back up. A few tubes and lots of tube corner gussets to go on the cage, but the main structure is done. I'll drill the floor and drop the cage down to fully weld it.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Great work man. Just picked up my xj project and this is the same format I am shooting for. Keep it up.
You’re XJ is coming nicely! Your fabrication skills rock. You will have one nice XJ that is really setup to play and be safe too. Love where you are taking your build! Vance.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Back from the dead. Life has been busy, two bathroom remodels, family stuff etc. I got a new daily driver, 2003 1500HD, that got some fresh parts. Texas Speed cam, headers, tune, 5160 shocks, wheels tires and tons of new steering suspension parts. Feels good to be back into a full size again.

The XJ saw daylight for the first time in two years. The only thing left to get it in the dirt is to re-gear/truss the rear end and finish the roll cage. Hoping to get it ready for KOH in February.

Damil

Rank III

Advocate II

I am glad you are running all double sheer. Are you just burning in the plates or have you been heating up the knuckles prior to welding?

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Made a little gas filler neck piece for a buddy's C10 project. 18GA cold rolled and some silicon bronze. Also worked on the cage in the family truckster. I'm almost ready to drop it down so I can weld the top and put in the rest of the tubes.

Reactions: Arailt and Tinker

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

Just read this thread. Your build is awesome and gives me some ideas for my 96 XJ. Keep up the good work.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Did some more work on the cage, welded up the bottom of everything then dropped the cage down to weld up the tops. Such a time consuming process, my out of position welding needs dome work too. Its getting closer, step by step.

Upgraded my cordless tool from some 15 year old DeWalt 18V stuff to the new Milwaukee Fuel. Holy shit these are nice. I have the Drill, 1/4" Hex impact, 1/2" drive mid torque impact, grinder and sawzall. I highly recommend these tools. I should have upgraded sooner.