97 XJ Build

• HTML tutorial

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

My name is Brad and I'm new to OB and the XJ world. I've have several off road trucks in the past, Toyota pre-runner with 3 link, full cage, custom a arms, full cage etc. 74 Blazer, and a few other Toyota trucks. I have a passion for building things.

Those toys have been gone for years now. I now have a young son and needed something that can fit 4 people and go on adventures.

I picked up this 97 XJ with 124k miles for a bargain. Salvage title due to the dented door/fender/rocker. It has the typical 4.0/AW4/231 combo with the 8.25 rear end.

The build plan is a do it all adventure rig with some Jeepspeed go fast thrown in.

Front suspension:

I'm building a 4 link with panhard bar with Ruffstuff parts. Keeping the D30 but adding WJ brakes/steering etc. 5.5 Deaver springs, King 2.5" shocks and prothane coil inserts.

Rear suspension

Deaver G9 springs with King 2.5through the floor and 2.0 air bumps.

Other details.
Full Ruffstuff frame reinforcement, Full T&J interior cage, home built bumpers and sliders. 35" tires. 4:88 gears F/R

Pictures make any thread better right?

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Making more progress on the front end. WJ knuckles all finished, lower links, tie rod, and drag link and cut to length and tacked up. I used PVC pipe to determine the angle of the upper links. Then I cut my tubing on the bandsaw, and used my homemade fixture table to hold it in place.

Next garage session I will tack together the upper arms and make the panhard bar and cycle it. Then I'm sure I will have to change something. There is so much going on with this "5 link" suspension.

As always, everyones input/criticism is welcomed.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

A big day for the "Family Truckster". The front suspension design is done. Everything cycles like it should and nothing crashes into anything else. Track bar and drag link and within .25" in length and are sitting at the same angle. Cycles 10" with room to spare on both ends, which is what I was shooting for. Caster is 5 degrees and ride height and 12 at full bump. No bump steer and the caster gain should make it really stable.

Lots of welding and fab still to go, but the hardest part of the front is done.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Summer has been super busy for me. Family vacations, mandatory overtime, and life in general has been keeping me out of the garage. Got back at it today, finished up the frame side track bar mount. I'm never 100% happy with my welding, still working on being super consistent with my bead size and profile. I have no doubt that parts are glued together good though.

I also copied the great ZT Fab's toolbox welding cart. I should have doe this years ago, it is so nice have all my welding and metal fab stuff in one place.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

That sure is some awesome fabrication and welding! Wish I had the skills! Following your build for ideas with my XJ. Benz.

SByota

Rank III

Advocate II

Burned in all the suspension links. All the heims threaded in nice and smooth!. Painted and assembled all the links/spindles and stashed them in the shed. Whipped up this quick steering box spacer out of 3/16" plate and .250 wall DOM. TIG welded for style points!.