Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

My plans are for a good all around overland vehicle with custom camping amenities and the ability for long trips. Here’s where I’m at so far.

So I’ve had several but I’m hoping this is the last one so I can stop swapping parts around. I’m currently working on the motor between my last jeep and a few more parts that came in, I’ll be replacing everything except the block for the most part. The replacement highlights would have to be my new high flow headers that I’ll be wrapping, WJ intake mod with webbing trimmed out, injector upgrade, all aluminum radiator and some other goodies. I also have a long arm front and short rear lift all I need are my new Fox shocks and new coils to finish that. Additionally I have 2 full interiors that I’ll be going through to come up with a clean hopefully brand new look with updated carpet and headliner.

Body wise I will be doing the normal trimming of the fender wells, and additionally cut the old rocker panels and replace with 2x6 anchored to the unibody. Frame stiffeners and new under body coat will be added to keep it clean and beef it up. I also had a vented hood from a 5.9 project that I put on it to help air flow.

That’s about it I’m sure I left stuff out but I’ll add pics as I progress and would love helping any others with zj questions or if anyone’s searching for parts, I have had zjs for almost 15 yrs now and love em so I have different lists built for bolt/bulb sizes along with fluid amounts and types.

IMG_7276.JPGIMG_7277.JPG

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
It has a 242 stock but I had a 231 I’m rebuilding with new internals and bigger chain to swap in
Solid choice. I have a 242HD I am considering freshening up with an SYE kit to take place of the 247. I haven't decided since the 247 hasn't really given me any reason to swap. Look forward to seeing this build!

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Thanks and I’m looking forward to finishing it to get on the trails, it’s been too long. I’m also not swapping mine over for a while either mainly due to money but also cuz mine is working fine too and I’m not doin any crawling yet so not in a rush.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I really do miss mine some days I love the way it Road and drove with the Rubicon Express superflex kit.bumps and gravel roads we're no issue you didn't even feel them the only thing I didn't like about the whole set-up was with the superflex kit having Hymes at both ends it transmitted a ton of road noise into the cab if I had to do it again I would go with the Super Ride kit as it was more of a daily driver weekend exploring vehicle then it was a rock crawlerScreenshot_20171211-160349.png

Reactions: NC-Trooper

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

I really do miss mine some days I love the way it Road and drove with the Rubicon Express superflex kit.bumps and gravel roads we're no issue you didn't even feel them the only thing I didn't like about the whole set-up was with the superflex kit having Hymes at both ends it transmitted a ton of road noise into the cab if I had to do it again I would go with the Super Ride kit as it was more of a daily driver weekend exploring vehicle then it was a rock crawlerView attachment 96137
Yea that’s a clean looking zj I’m def a fan of simple but capable when it comes to the grands. I have an iron rock critical path (long arm front) that I took off another zj I had but instead of the 7” I’m swapping the springs for 4.5 since I’m not really crawling in Florida. The Heim’s are only on the axle end for the long arms and reg bushing for the rear.

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

So I started tearing into the motor today got most of it apart and drained most fluids so tom I will finish taking it apart then finish the couple mods I have and put it all back together. At the end I’ll show a before and after pic of the engine bay.

Here’s the new (off my previous jeep) aluminum radiator
IMG_8270.JPG

New condenser
IMG_8271.JPG

Intake upgrade and webbing being cut, green is what’s done red is tomorrow
IMG_8272.JPG

New headers that will hopefully be wrapped tomorrow
IMG_8273.JPG

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

So progress got slowed down a bit as I wait for my intake, valve cover and fuel rail to come back from powder coating (last min change of plans) but I did get the motor cleaned up and repainted with por15 high temp.
Front before/After
IMG_8393.JPGIMG_8407.JPG

Passenger side before/after
IMG_8394.JPG
IMG_8405.JPG

Driver side
IMG_8406.JPG

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Some more parts came in one ton over knuckle steering, front 4.5 coils, adjustable double shear trac bar, front/center frame stiffeners and hd coil retainers.IMG_8479.JPG

Slumberjack tarp with screens
IMG_8455.JPG

And I picked up an oven/stove combo that I need to clean up but got it cheap
IMG_8482.JPG

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Got my powder coating back finally and did a mock up of what it will look like installed. Also got my header cerakoted instead of wrapping them. Now I finally think I have all the parts for the motor so I just have to finish installing.
IMG_8496.JPG
IMG_8568.JPG
IMG_8582.JPG

Reactions: Viking1204

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Very clean. What are the perks of using cerakote on that application?
I did it mainly to help reduce heat in the engine bay since the Grand Cherokee is known for running hotter. It also helps prevent corrosion from salt and what not on the outside and helps reduce corrosion inside the headers from heat, protects from road debris damage and is also chemical/oil resistant. The big plus is my header should stay black instead of fading or changing color from the heat it’s moving. Also after I finish building the exhaust piping I’ll coat it the same for the same benefits.

TxRanger3006

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Andersen
Member #

Got a little more done today, did the new distributor and waterproofed it, also had to redo my timing, finished painting anything I missed, got the valve cover/header/intake all mounted. Just gotta finish hooking everything up, then I’ll start the radiator support and steering brace. IMG_8598.JPG
IMG_8601.JPG