91 Montero Ls v8 Swap

• HTML tutorial

Urban gorilla

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pennsauken nj
Member #

Firstly I'll introduce the truck, she's a 1991 LWB Montero with a 3.0 and 5spd. Love the Mitsu 3.0, has some power and has been reliable.

After recently taking the 1600mi round trip journey to Overland Expo East, I came to the realization that she needed an upgrade. After some research i noticed that a v8 should fit fairly nicely. So I came across a killer deal on a 2001 suburban and jumped on it.

I'm going to be using the entire drivetrain from the burban, 5.3 4l60 and electronic tcase.

Just gonna throw some pics up in order as best I can.
wm20171130_170423.jpg

3.0 on it's way out
wm20171130_170423.jpg wm20171204_172935.jpg

New heart before install

wm20180219_152615.jpg

Motor sitting in for final fitment before mounts.

wm20180127_133313.jpg

Made the mounts, just need paint

wm20180210_144921.jpg

Motor mounted

wm20180127_181626.jpg
wm20180127_165216.jpg

Harness installed

20190210_132145.jpg

Just waiting on some fittings and I'll have more pics up within the next couple days.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Hellll yeah mate! From one Mitsu owner to another, I approve this [emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]

I can’t wait to swap my outlander sport with a beefier motor! Can’t wait to see more mate! Thanks for sharing

Urban gorilla

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pennsauken nj
Member #

Update* 2/15/19

Just received my fittings for the fuel system and power steering. Sadly not gonna be able to get it running this weekend, just had to pay for my sons bday and holy shit was it expensive. (At least expensive for a 3rd bday)

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

Firstly I'll introduce the truck, she's a 1991 LWB Montero with a 3.0 and 5spd. Love the Mitsu 3.0, has some power and has been reliable.

After recently taking the 1600mi round trip journey to Overland Expo East, I came to the realization that she needed an upgrade. After some research i noticed that a v8 should fit fairly nicely. So I came across a killer deal on a 2001 suburban and jumped on it.

I'm going to be using the entire drivetrain from the burban, 5.3 4l60 and electronic tcase.

Just gonna throw some pics up in order as best I can.
View attachment 85353

3.0 on it's way out
View attachment 85353 View attachment 85354

New heart before install

View attachment 85355

Motor sitting in for final fitment before mounts.

View attachment 85356

Made the mounts, just need paint

View attachment 85357

Motor mounted

View attachment 85358
View attachment 85359

Harness installed

View attachment 85360

Just waiting on some fittings and I'll have more pics up within the next couple days.
This going to be a great build to watch. You did it the best way buying a complete donor vehicle. Good luck and I'll be watching.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

Cant even imagine lol

And thanks Ironhide, it was actually cheaper to do the entire donor. I have a very small budget so I'm being forced to find deals on basically everything. I'm kind of enjoying it tho, keeps me on track.
I am in the same situation as you are. Dreaming of a Cummins R2.8 swap. But realistically gonna be an LS swap. Got to be creative with your gear.

Traveler I

Hey Urban Gorilla, I am also in the process of getting my 91 Montero LS right. I just got my 6G72 professionally rebuilt. Some slight modifications to increase HP. I just signed up for the forum so it was nice to see another Monty on here.

Urban gorilla

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pennsauken nj
Member #

Hey Urban Gorilla, I am also in the process of getting my 91 Montero LS right. I just got my 6G72 professionally rebuilt. Some slight modifications to increase HP. I just signed up for the forum so it was nice to see another Monty on here.
I haven't seen many other 1st gen builds either man, kinda sad lol. I toyed with the idea of turboing the stock 6g but ended up getting a stellar deal on the suburban.

The 6g is wildly underrated, really is a little brute.

Traveler I

I haven't seen many other 1st gen builds either man, kinda sad lol. I toyed with the idea of turboing the stock 6g but ended up getting a stellar deal on the suburban.

The 6g is wildly underrated, really is a little brute.
I was toying with the idea of swapping for those small turbo diesels they put in the Pajero's but it was just too much money. I had also heard of others swapping in an OM617 from mercedes but did not want things to get too messy so i just had it rebuilt.

I am currently in the process of installing the engine back in but this cold weather is keeping me from being outside everyday lol.

Reactions: Ironhide

Urban gorilla

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pennsauken nj
Member #

So after about a year long hiatus i am finally able to work on my montero again. Life has a way of choosing my priorities for me lol

So jumping back in wasnt too bad, forgot a couple things which set me back a couple weeks but nothing major.

I got my custom made radiator after a very long wait but it was totally worth it. Fit is absolutely perfect and i eve have more room for the electric fans than i originally anticipated.

space for fans

Another issue i had was figuring out how i wanted to run the PS lines. I ended up going with -6An fittings and just doing it that way. I was able to use the factory 5.3 PS cooler and tucked it up under the headlight area.

You can see the cooler poking out just enough.

Forgot to mention i ended up going with C10 LS swap headers and they couldnt fit better. They angle in enough to clear the frame and give me more than enough room to run full 3" exhaust piping.

She is RUNNING! starts right up and should idle after i finish plumbing a couple vac lines.

I will have much more to update this weekend as it will be just about wrapped up on the engine side of things.

Reactions: EXPO_D1