Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm becoming more tempted to get rid of my Grand Cherokee and pick up a decent used LC. I doubt I'd ever get rid of my Wrangler. But there are times a vehicle with more room and comfort would be handy for long trips.

Reactions: John Galt

fledwell

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I'm becoming more tempted to get rid of my Grand Cherokee and pick up a decent used LC. I doubt I'd ever get rid of my Wrangler. But there are times a vehicle with more room and comfort would be handy for long trips.
We did that with our Diesel Grand Cherokee (2007 WK with 3.0L CRD). We sold that truck last January and bought a 2003 100 Series Land Cruiser with 95k miles. It was a huge upgrade in space and the LC is highly capable.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
LOL yet you keep telling me my GC is a really capable vehicle
GC's are very capable. My sister has a Sequoia and it's been an incredible vehicle for her. I'm having issues with my GC and it's really making us think we should trade it in before it get's worse. I can only run Casey's or Kwik Star gas in it or it runs very rough.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Ah got it. What's different in their fuel? Im just a curious critter
I have no idea really. We bought our GC used from a dealership last year. Right away, we started having problems. The engine light would come on and the engine would act like it wanted to stall. It was in and out of the shop for a couple months. New catalytic converter and some other things. Still the problem continued. Someone at work suggested I put it on a steady diet of Caseys or Kwik Star gas. I stopped filling up at Shell and only filled up at these two places. Through the winter, no issues what so ever. Decided to fill up at Shell again a couple weeks ago. Drove to Missouri and back and it did it again. On the hills especially, it would continually switch gears and shift hard. I'm back on the Caseys gas and no issues again. Locally anyway. Afraid to go out of town with it again. It's the weirdest thing. Wish we could figure it out because I love our GC. However, if I keep putting Shell gas in it, my wife might finally let me trade it in. lol

Pazuzu1991

Rank IV

Advocate II

I have no idea really. We bought our GC used from a dealership last year. Right away, we started having problems. The engine light would come on and the engine would act like it wanted to stall. It was in and out of the shop for a couple months. New catalytic converter and some other things. Still the problem continued. Someone at work suggested I put it on a steady diet of Caseys or Kwik Star gas. I stopped filling up at Shell and only filled up at these two places. Through the winter, no issues what so ever. Decided to fill up at Shell again a couple weeks ago. Drove to Missouri and back and it did it again. On the hills especially, it would continually switch gears and shift hard. I'm back on the Caseys gas and no issues again. Locally anyway. Afraid to go out of town with it again. It's the weirdest thing. Wish we could figure it out because I love our GC. However, if I keep putting Shell gas in it, my wife might finally let me trade it in. lol
Sounds like a bad knock sensor, or wrong gap in the plugs, plug cables or the ECU. But you just described classic bad knock sensor problems. And sorry for the hijacking. But yeah, how about them Land Cruisers, Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Sounds like a bad knock sensor, or wrong gap in the plugs, plug cables or the ECU. But you just described classic bad knock sensor problems. And yeah, sorry for the hijacking. But yeah, how about them Land Cruisers, Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.