Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Looking for information and leads on a PTO for the NP203. I want to get an older hydraulic winch. To me the hydraulic would be better than drive shaft and more versatile.
Thanks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looking for information and leads on a PTO for the NP203. I want to get an older hydraulic winch. To me the hydraulic would be better than drive shaft and more versatile.
Thanks.
I’m running a Mile-Marker 18000 off of a purpose built Saginaw power steering pump... it cost me $25 at the junk yard and about 2 hours to mod it.

as for the pto, there is a lot of variables to go this route... a new pto costs about $500 without the adapters necessary. The Chelsea 442 is the only PTO that will work with the NP203, but as you look at the page there is literally 100s of options.

Reactions: Buzzard13

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

If possible I would get something original and used.
I personally don't like the idea of running off my steering pump.

How likely is it to find an old pto on ebay or the junk yards?
Would it be the Chelsea 442 or something else?

I feel a pto is built for accessories and is more versatile that running off the steering pump.

Is Mile Marker going to be the most common hydro winch?
Is it the best?

So many questions.
Thanks for all of the advise.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I feel a pto is built for accessories and is more versatile that running off the steering pump.

Is it the best?

So many questions.
Mile-Marker is the leader in Hydraulic winches... and they are designed to work off of stock power steering units and even have installation kits for most applications... I’ll fallow you in DM

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Is it the best?

So many questions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe, but don't quote me, as it has been many years......, but on a side note,...... the Allison transmission offered by GM in the Silverado, was able to use a PTO system. Some kind of design change was initiated after 2003 ? which made it necessary to having the case opened and parts installed. Before that it was 'capped-off'' , but had the internals that allowed a PTO system to be used. I remember kit's being available to tie in the system. Transmission instead of P/S pumps, not sure about which would be better, but something breaking in theP/S would not neccessarily sideline your vehicle in case of breakage.

Just thought I would throw that out there, since it was PTO related :blush:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe, but don't quote me, as it has been many years......, but on a side note,...... the Allison transmission offered by GM in the Silverado, was able to use a PTO system. Some kind of design change was initiated after 2003 ? which made it necessary to having the case opened and parts installed. Before that it was 'capped-off'' , but had the internals that allowed a PTO system to be used. I remember kit's being available to tie in the system. Transmission instead of P/S pumps, not sure about which would be better, but something breaking in theP/S would not neccessarily sideline your vehicle in case of breakage.

Just thought I would throw that out there, since it was PTO related :blush:
This was true in all NP203 Transfer cases... the provisions are there to add a PTO with the proper kit... it’s knowing which kit to buy to give the gear ratio needed for the hydraulic pump...

Modding a Saginaw Power Steering Pump and using it as a secondary pump is actually very simple... to mod the pump you just need to drill a hole and add two washers. Making the mounting bracket is a little harder but doable... I used the smog pump location and moded the bracket to accept the Saginaw pump.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think most of the old pto's your thinking of are nearly as rare as hens teeth. You might find some on old plow trucks but they will likely be rusted up junk by now. Craigslist search old snowbelt areas or junkyards.
If its a gm you'll be looking for a Muncie TG6S-N7018-C2BT muncies is easier to rebuild and re gear usually cheaper than chelseas.