• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Agree on the food. Eating ration bars to survive would suck ass. Sorry, but no other way to really say it. As for MREs, they are great but remember shelf live when stored in hot temps (since as TX where you reside). The nutrition content drops. Some things in the MRE will not last 3 months when stored at 120*, think how hot the inside of your rig is in the summer... FD foods are much better in this regard. I keep MH pouches in my kit bag. But you also need water and something to cook them with since cold FD foods take literally hours to re-hydrate and still taste like butt crack, unless you are packing the MH granola milk and blueberry cereal, which I find tasty hot or cold and since it cereal it does not need to re-hydrate. I have 20+ #10 cans of this meal in my home food storage.

As for meals, just pick up a few, and try them over the course of a week or 2. You will see what you like and what you don't. My favorite I am down to just a bags of out of the cases of it I ordered. Unfortunately MH discontinued it. But it was the beef patties and potatoes/ cheese/ broccoli. Dam is it good.

As for water I keep a few Dasani 1liter bottles in a kit box. The dasani brand has the thickest bottle, so less likely to puncture, I will go thru them during outings, at work, or parages/ events. I just keep buying them as I go thru them and remember FIFO, first in first out.

Other things. You have matches, but no tinder. Just a small quart freezer bag with 2 dozen cotton balls heavily saturated in petroleum jelly will light almost anything on fire, and even a novice can light one with a flint and steel, they go up FAST. I use them during the winter hunts and everyone who has seen them burn are amazed. Plus they can be used as the best lip balm when you are stranded.

Shouldnt have to say it since your from TX, but defense? Do you have a CCW permit? If so, cleaning kit, spare ammo/ magazines. I keep my carry piece on me, but also have a second pistol hidden in the truck.

Sunglasses (nothign worse than burned eyes)

Bandana, couple with the headgear AND prefilter for your lifestraw or other water filter, which I recommend something that allows you to store water on the go. The sawyer squeeze are amazing, I keep one in the truck. And can be used as a life straw, but the stars are small so keep it in the glove box JIC.

I also keep one of those USB battery deals in my kit bag, allows you to charge the phone a few times on the go if needed (). The radio is nice, but cranking to charge a phone would get old FAST. I would rather keep a Baofeng handheld VHF/ UHF and the USB battery deal instead of the larger crank radio, but thats just me, your results will vary.

Last, make sure you pack has a bladder option to carry water incase you need to go out on foot. But great job on the preps so far man.

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

I agree with wuzombies. Lighten the load. But add a shemag, I have 3 and they are handy. Compass is a must but make sure you know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I tried out the Mountain house Biscuits & Gravy on Saturday morning. I think it takes a bit longer than 4min + 4min + 8min to make the biscuits not taste like crackers, but I enjoyed it anyway. :)

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I tried out the Mountain house Biscuits & Gravy on Saturday morning. I think it takes a bit longer than 4min + 4min + 8min to make the biscuits not taste like crackers, but I enjoyed it anyway. :)
I've never been a fan of there breakfast stuff. I just go with oatmeal. I want for a hike yesterday in the rain. My supposedly waterproof pack turned out to be not so waterproof and the contents of the 48hr bag got soaked, but at least that gave me a reason to lay it all out and take a picture. Only thing missing is the ultralight rain shell that was hanging up to dry.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Was just thinking about this.. what about a small fishing kit? Wouldn't take much room, and would be light and provide another way to get food.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

Was just thinking about this.. what about a small fishing kit? Wouldn't take much room, and would be light and provide another way to get food.
I wouldn't keep one in a 36 hour bag. Remember, a 36 hour bag is supposed to keep you supplied for 3 days, not surviving in the wilderness. Here is a good podcast explaining what should be in a 3 day bag.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1670-bob

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Heres MOLLE
uploadfromtaptalk1453118083884.jpg

Heres molle after removing my sleep system and hammock

uploadfromtaptalk1453118108618.jpg

Water resistant clothing bag with clothing in ziplocs

uploadfromtaptalk1453118249383.jpg

Duct tape reverse rolled onto an ole ink pen tube on some 550 cord. Just grab the loop of cord amd start wrapping

uploadfromtaptalk1453118192810.jpg

Soooo much more but its all the same as everyone else lol

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I wouldn't keep one in a 36 hour bag. Remember, a 36 hour bag is supposed to keep you supplied for 3 days, not surviving in the wilderness. Here is a good podcast explaining what should be in a 3 day bag.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/1670-bob
Thanks for the link. I just figured that it would be a good backup to have in case you lose something, since it's light and small, but I understand what you're saying.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

TL;DR You need less than you think and training is the most important tool you can carry.

The idea of a 36 or 72 hour bag isn't a bag to bug out with. It isn't a long term survival option kit, it is by design a bag to get you through a likely scenario in which you are stranded, with out aid, and be specific to your personal needs and tastes. I liken a 36/72 hour bag to a "Get Home Bag" or something you would use to get from where you are to home or where your main cache, resupply or help would be. I wrote about a Get Home Bag a while back on my blog, but I'll cover some of the high points here before discussion the First Aid/Buddy Aid thoughts.

A Get Home Bag (GHB) is very specific to your personal needs and also needs to remain adaptable to your climate, season and evolving requirements. A GHB is directly comparable to a 36/72 hour bag in many ways, the difference being the extra clothing required (I'll get to that in a minute). The first consideration is time and distance when compared to how far you would have to walk. My daily commute is about 15 minutes driving or would be approximately 3 hours walking, if I can take a direct path. There are some considerations that I have to contend with:

1. Will I be able to walk directly home or is there some sort of event preventing overt passage?

What sort of event? Pick one, could be a massive fire, natural disaster of some sort, locus, the plague...not really, but think about the general issues that have been prevalent in western society over the past decade. Terrorist attacks, protests, riots, the list could continue. If your walking route home using surface streets or walking paths goes near where one of those events are occurring or have occurred, then you may not be able to walk through (or may not want to for your safety). It would be possible for me to hit the wood line and stay generally hidden for most of my journey home, crossing creeks, pasture and undeveloped land. If I have to stick to the surface streets on foot I want to be the "grey man" as much as possible. Would a multicam bag with MOLLE straps and moral patches be normal for your area or would you stand out? Not just to turds (wolves, bad guys) but to trained persons too? Depending on the level of unrest you may just want to disappear into the masses and be unnoticed by the wolves of society and those trying to contain the wolves. Tactical gear doesn't work too well for that, even if it is very functional.

2. Does my daily attire/office attire help or hurt?

I work from home part time and in an office part time (when I say part time I mean I work about 60-hours a week between the photography business, writing/author business and the "real" job). At home my need for a GHB is obviously moot, but my "real" job is in an office building. My typical attire to the office consists of jeans, untucked button shirt (like Mountain Hardwear) and Birkenstocks. I've ventured on real hikes wearing my Birks, they're the most comfortable thing I own and I wear a pair out every few years I wear them so often, but they would be lacking for an off-road adventure home. This would be especially true in bad weather or in the winter (I still wear them in the winter, no not with socks I'm not psycho). So my office attire hurts. In my pockets and on my belt I generally have these items on my person every single day all day: wallet, keys, business cards, badge (I still have one), Glock 36, a spare magazine, an Emerson CQC-7B, cell phone, Field Notes and a pen. Sounds like a lot, but between my pockets and the high quality belt I wear, I feel nekid without it all.

What would my GHB need to make my trip home from the office better? Sturdy boots and socks, rain gear and hat.

3. Travel

The GHB takes a new dimension when traveling, it is possible to drive in a straight line in Texas for 12 hours on the Interstate and still be in Texas. That is a long way from home driving, much less walking! Now I'm looking at many days walking very far each day. What if you're flying? Would your GHB make you a new favorite of the underpaid, under-trained and bored TSA agent?

A 36/72 Hour Bag can differ from a GHB in a few ways, but mainly all that happens is that more gear is added. First of all, after the above consideration you have to option shelter, food, water and medical needs. Some of those options may already be included in your GHB, some of them may not. Personally I would add another shirt, a spare pair of socks, a dark colored high quality rain poncho (which doubles as an expedient shelter), fire starting supplies (even if you're not cooking, a fire can boost your morale if you're lost, stuck or stranded, besides obvious rescue signalling use). Also included would be a dual band radio if you're a HAM (you should be) and a small AM/FM radio for news broadcasts. For food options you have to consider where your bag will be stored. I spoke to stripped down MREs earlier in the thread, but the shelf life of an MRE (as well as much of the "survival" food options) have varying shelf lives depending on the stored temperatures. I don't know about where you live, but in Texas the interior of vehicles in the summer is hot enough to cook a pizza (so it would seem).

Carry water vs. filter water.

Remember playing the Oregon Trail as a kid? Sam always dies of dysentery or drowns. Caulking the wagon to forge a stream not withstanding, dysentery is no joke. The quickest way to get sick is to drink bad water. Outside of a few glacier fed wonderlands, most of the US does not have water you should drink in the creeks and lakes if left untreated. Personally I'm a fan of having a couple bottles of water, a filter is the secondary consideration and depends on where you are, your possibility of exposure to the elements and the availability of water to be filtered. The debate between a filter straw and a pump or other systems is lengthy, if you get on prepping blogs you'll see hundreds and hundreds of posts from people arguing those points. Do some research and make your own best choice.

First Aid/Buddy Aid

What is your highest level of trained proficiency? Are you a former combat medic? If so I want to be on your team when the SHTF! Or have you only watched a bunch of episodes of Grey's Anatomy? Having a thousand dollar super tactical medical kit does no good if you don't know how to use it all promptly and under stress. In the gear vs. skills debate I argue that medical needs is a skills over gear need. When your buddy is bleeding out you don't want to have to try to read an instruction card and hope for the best.

For a 36/72 Hour Bag medical gear is a choice you will have to make. Personally I like having basic band aids, moleskin (for blisters), larger self adhesive bandages (2x2-ish), instant ice pack, gauze, Israeli bandages, medical tape (clear plastic kind that you can't pull off with a come along and a friend), a couple of tampons (for bullet entry wounds), Quikclot, tourniquet, some anti-bacterial ointment (for the little things), tweezers, EMT sheers, gloves (never trust anything that isn't your own fluid) and a small CPR mask. The shemagh in my bag with some 550 can make a nice sling. I'm not too worried about bracing for broken bones, as where I am I can find objects to do that job.

That comes from the mindset of making sure I can self-aid a gunshot or stab wound or a friend's as well as take care of some bumps/scratches/blisters that may occur. It is too easy to get into the high speed/low drag tactical mindset and forget about the minor bumps and dings that seem to happen. I'm not planning on performing surgery

However, if you have no training please start with your local American Red Cross (or local country equivalent) and begin with basic first aid and CPR. CPR changes every 4 or 5 days (it seems) so it is probably slightly different than the last time you took the class. You can work your way up from there, you don't have to be a Para-Rescue Airman to be useful (although if you're one you're on my team when the SHTF).

Last edited: