5lb Propane Tanks: before I spend $70+ for one, how much did you pay and where?

• HTML tutorial

Misaruiz

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Misael
Last Name
Ruiz
yep. a tank is good for 12 yrs from the date of manufacture. you can hydro test and recert them, but that costs nearly as much as the tank and then its only good for 5 yrs after that. on anything that can explode and kill me....i'll probably spend an extra $30-40 and get new. the wife and i spend $60 just going out for a meal and that lasts a few hours...why not spend the $60 on a tank that will last 12 years?

if you go cheap on anything, you go cheap on gifts for the in-laws...NOT propane tanks....
I'm the type that I'll pull the trigger real quick if I want something, I tried slowing down and asking on this sub and I'm glad I did. Solid wisdom my man.

Misaruiz

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Misael
Last Name
Ruiz
You probably won’t fine a better price, or not enough to make it worth your time.
I have been extremely happy having switched to them. I carry two and use them for my Colman stove, portable bbq grill(if I take it), propane fire pit, and Zodi shower system.
Yeah, I want to eventually get one of those propane fire pits. California fires are kicking our butts, but a fireside chat with friends is my romanticized version of camping. Hopefully this can hit the spot.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
If you want a safe tank... https://vikingcylinders.com/products/ otherwise you may be carrying a bomb in the back of your truck. Light weight and you can get in colors that match your vehicle. Tank is on right hand side. Way better than a steel tank.
I had a composite propane tank years ago (Lite Cylinder Brand). It was recalled and then the company went out of business. They were great because you could actually see the contents. However, there are negatives.... cost, for sure. Plus you have to have them requalified at 5 years (vs 12 years for steel and aluminum). And places to to get them requalified are not close nor convenient for many people. BLEVE is a real thing but not common at all. There are no 5 lb composite tanks that I know of... so I won't consider them at this time.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

If you are only moving from the 1 lb bottles due to the waste factor-and I agree with you on that and same for butane-you might be interested in this bottle which is a refillable 1lb bottle. Seems you could take advantage of the cheaper refills on the big tanks but safe room in your rig and only take what is needed.

Last edited:

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
Between the 4.5 lb Worthington and 5 lb Flame King, I'd recommend the Flame King for it's smaller foot print and 0.5 lb more capacity. However, the Worthington tank is a bit heavier... steel might be a little thicker. My Flame King came with a nifty little gauge but I don't see them like that anymore.

IMG_1049.jpeg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Between the 4.5 lb Worthington and 5 lb Flame King, I'd recommend the Flame King for it's smaller foot print and 0.5 lb more capacity. However, the Worthington tank is a bit heavier... steel might be a little thicker. My Flame King came with a nifty little gauge but I don't see them like that anymore.

View attachment 206215
The flame king is what I have. It fits into the bracket for a 20# fire extinguisher, so no overland tax to inflate the bracket price.

RENEGADEJEEPER

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Edmond, OK, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Schrameck
Found an almost new one on Amazon just before covid started for $30 shipped.
Refill myself with the $20 20 lber at local store. Just get an adapter and fill. Get 3 or so fills before exchange the 20 lber and can use the 5 lber forever.

Check offer up and Facebook marketplace.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I got the flame king 11lb tank, currently $70.85 at Amazon for more than twice the propane of a 5lb and not much wider, just taller.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I have an 11lb Manchester. I guess I didn't realize how long I've had it. I went to get it filled last month & 3 locations here in South Jersey wouldn't refill it as it's now over 12 years old.
Keep this in mind as it won't last you "forever".

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

The flame king is what I have. It fits into the bracket for a 20# fire extinguisher, so no overland tax to inflate the bracket price.
This is very useful information :)

I've been on the lookout for a 5lb tank for months. I was able to get an order in on overstock.com, and it looks like they still have some:

The description says it's a Flame King. $62 or $55 "with coupon" (whatever that means - there was no coupon when I ordered :( ) which is a pretty darn good price actually.

Kris

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
do you happen to have a photo of the tank in the bracket?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
do you happen to have a photo of the tank in the bracket?
I had to do some adjustment to the retention strap, but otherwise good to go.

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Does anyone know how long propane can sit in a tank and still be useful? A buddy of mine recently bought a pop-up camp trailer, probably from the 70s - 80s, and it had some of the 30lb tanks full strapped onto the tongue. They worked when he tested the stove in it, and I'm reasonably sure his have not been sitting that long. But it did raise the question if the tanks had been sitting for decades, would they still be good to use?

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Does anyone know how long propane can sit in a tank and still be useful? A buddy of mine recently bought a pop-up camp trailer, probably from the 70s - 80s, and it had some of the 30lb tanks full strapped onto the tongue. They worked when he tested the stove in it, and I'm reasonably sure his have not been sitting that long. But it did raise the question if the tanks had been sitting for decades, would they still be good to use?
The gas inside is probably okay. He probably can't get them refilled, especially if they're so old that they have a standard handwheel shape on the valve. That would indicate it's a non OPD tank (Overflow Protection Device) which I don't think anyone can legally fill. An OPD tank has a 3 sided hand wheel on the valve.

Reactions: lhoffm4

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
It was in the ground for how many millennia before it ended up in that tank?

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
So my buddy let me know he found a place to have the tanks recertified with new valves. He was told to use the tanks till they were emptied, then he could get the empty tanks recertified for $75 but that would include a full tank of propane, or he could trade them in at any reseller but would likely only get 20lb tanks from them. Seems like a racket for sure!