Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
Hello OB,

I am a big DIYer. I try to find solutions to all my problems no matter how big or how small. I was on the internet the other day and i came across a $60 front runner water container that contained a spigot and it got me thinking... i have a 5 gal bpa free water container from Walmart that costed me 13 bucks what if i just added my own spigot? That way i can stop spilling water and having to tilt the heavy container to get water in my cups and pots. I went on amazon and found a 6 dollar spout that was also bpa free.. and it all became as easy as drilling a hole, attaching the retainer screw and seal to a broom stick with tape, inserting into the inside and screwing the spout into it... thats it... literally 20 minutes. It will help if the stick is flat though as you can apply pressure to the inner retainer bolt and get a tight seal as you screw in your spigot.. i bring to you.. 20 minutes of my time

Attachments

CurrentlyRockhoundin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Goguen
Member #

I like the idea of a spigot.

I think I might try this with a brass gate valve, I'm a little concerned about the tab on ones like you installed getting opened by accident.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I like the spigot on the top like on my 7 gal water cube so it doesn't get broken off and accidentally drained. You only have to tip it over when in use. I also went with a standard brass hose bibb fitting that is garden hose compatible.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I ahve my 7g mounted on its side so I dont have to take it down from the roof rack. Spiggot facing down whiel on its side made it easier for my girls to pour without spilling.

Reactions: Captain&Hook

91B/91S

I like the spigot on the top like on my 7 gal water cube so it doesn't get broken off and accidentally drained. You only have to tip it over when in use. I also went with a standard brass hose bibb fitting that is garden hose compatible.
Can you post a picture please? Thank you

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

5 gallon containers with spigot fitted to the opening. Transported up and tipped to flow water. About $20.

51RcdqZhjnL.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I love my FRO 5 gal jerry with spigot. It is far more useful, durable, and thicker in material than any other jugs I've owned.
Though I didn't pay as much as the price you seem to have seen, I've found it to be worth every penny.

I've had the square blue Coleman containers, the clear plastic soft cubes, the 5gal Wal-mart containers, the 5 gal Scepter containers, as well as others in the past, and have to say the FRO jerry is the one that lasts and gets the most use, like daily, with the Scepters coming in second, more as back up storage.

frjerry_1167-728.jpg

I replaced the plastic spigot on my FRO with a brass spigot. The spigot is recessed, keeping it from harm, and the fact that it is at the bottom lets me use it a lot more than I would otherwise. I keep it on the fender of my trailer when in camp and raise it to the trailer wall for filling my trailer tank when needed.

frjerry_1168-728.jpg

It also fits into my packing scheme a lot more easily than a square does.

frjerry-wspout_08691028.jpg

In the long run, as much as I travel and camp, it has outlasted other jugs and jerrys and has been more than worth it.

The other one I use daily, and keep spring water in for coffee/cooking and for quick hand rinse etc when I have the trailer tank drained or am away from camp is the 2.5 gal clear BPA free container from Arrow Plastic, less than $8:

1580524920703.png
Easy to fill, easy to use. Though, because it is clear and allows light, may be more prone to algae/bacterial growth over time, especially in warmer environments.

That's one great thing about the dark plastic of the FRO jerry, even over the lighter weight and lighter colored other jugs, is that it is better about preventing algae growth when you're out in the heat or desert.

watersanitize_1699-900.jpg

Even then, I sanitize all my water containers, including the 22gal tank on my trailer, at least once a year with a bleach solution.

Last edited: