Livermore, CA
First Name
Bennett
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6LPD
I was wondering if anyone has found any good 4x4 classes, and whether anyone can provide recommendations. I'm looking for something organized with a mix of theory and practice. Maybe some recovery training too.

I found one company offering training in So Cal, but haven't found any in Nor Cal.

Cheers

Reactions: Narbob and Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I was wondering if anyone has found any good 4x4 classes, and whether anyone can provide recommendations. I'm looking for something organized with a mix of theory and practice. Maybe some recovery training too.

I found one company offering training in So Cal, but haven't found any in Nor Cal.

Cheers
Collectively, we have so much talent in the OB Membership. If there's interest, we should organize a 4x4 workshop/bootcamp occasionally, in each region.

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Cheers
I don't know of any 4x4 classes, but I have learned a lot just going on trail runs with other members. I've learned something new every time I have been out on a trip.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I have had many a discussion with this man, I am very impressed with his knowledge and experience. His background is wide and diverse with all aspects of varying off road vehicles. And the trailers he builds are amazing and yes I will someday own one.
There are classes available throughout the country at different times. A schedule can be obtained by contacting Chris at,
http://www.campausa.com/edu

Last edited:
Reactions: Narbob

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Getting out there on the trails with friends is a great way to learn. The information available here is great too and to supplement that, I found Andrew St Pierre's videos to be really good when I first jumped into the offroad world.

Last edited:

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I highly recommend getting plugged in with an established group to learn from first hand. Videos on YouTube are great, just take them with a grain of salt.
We did the Overland Expo experience the past two years at Expo West and really enjoyed the hands-on training that videos can't give you. While we were already familiar with the techniques, it was great to put our hands on situations that we hadn't experienced in the field yet. Check out:
www.overlandexpo.com

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
The Nor Cal Land Rover Club holds monthly off road gatherings (MORGs) first Saturday of the month in rotating locations. All makes/model/manufactures welcome. It is a great place way to learn more about off road driving, recovery, first aid, etc. A lot of experience in the regulars that attend. Nice way to learn in a semi controlled environment. Check out norcalrovers.org for details. You should be able to see the schedule without being a member of the club.

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Cheers
Take a look here - http://www.i4wdta.org/html/trainer_usa.html - you can find trainers in your state. I also agree that Overland Expo is another resource - http://www.overlandexpo.com/west/ -

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

@mitchandbuck and I are in Diablo4Wheelers. We do a safety clinic in Livermore every spring at Carnegie SVRA. That's where I learned a lot. I am assuming the clinic is opened to guests. It's in your hometown so I think it would be an excellent option for you

Reactions: Kelly