Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I haven’t done that much due to life. But I’m about to try to finish up the driveline for 4WD. I have to change the gears, install a locker, rebuild the transmission and new driveshafts.

I’ve been using the hell out of the van.

I took a trip to DC, but stopped for a couple days of skiing at Snowshoe.

2CDFDDB4-1A58-4EEB-A197-37C405CFDE1A.jpg

23BC9152-D4E1-4F31-93B5-D852C4E02FC5.jpg

AC0F1CA2-9D1A-46CD-B052-01938674AE04.jpg

946491B7-1A55-482A-ACF8-22D770A9EC9C.jpg

Installed running boards.

5C068A37-1416-4894-86FF-65B83C7485E3.jpg

Pulled the wheelchair lift out and built boxes that will support the bed.

615F6FA2-E0AA-4CCF-9F97-5841E7194A71.jpg

Chilling in DC.

EECA6FF5-F5B1-4806-9834-39D4009D7C33.jpg

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Very cool build.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Very cool build.
Thanks!

I went up Max Patch on a 2WD van with no locker. Never got stuck, but some of it was super sketchy. Overall, ol Betty Sue took it like a champ. Can't say the same for the wife lol. I was sideways a lot letter her dig...

After pics:

Also installed my MTB fork mount. Can't steal it if you can't see it. I don't understand how people around here leave $10k bikes just hanging out on a unlocked bike rack while their in a brewery for hours. Mine cost $3k and I'm scared it will get stolen. I guess that's the New Orleans in me.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Here are my Gaia tracks. I started recording once I was at Max Patch. I came in through Harmon's Den. I didn't take hurricane Creek tho. Came out in Del Rio, TN, by Punch Bowl Mountain on the map.

Nice man! Still itching to get a van!

Man I live in a major Mtb area and see that time and time again. 5k+ bikes sitting in back of trucks.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Also installed my MTB fork mount. Can't steal it if you can't see it. I don't understand how people around here leave $10k bikes just hanging out on a unlocked bike rack while their in a brewery for hours. Mine cost $3k and I'm scared it will get stolen. I guess that's the New Orleans in me.

I hear ya there. tons of people leave 3-5K mountain bikes just hanging out in pickups, not secured at all. The Tacoma in me makes me worried when I leave my $300 fixie outside too long, lol.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Thanks!

I went up Max Patch on a 2WD van with no locker. Never got stuck, but some of it was super sketchy. Overall, ol Betty Sue took it like a champ. Can't say the same for the wife lol. I was sideways a lot letter her dig...

After pics:

Love the Honzo!

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Nice man! Still itching to get a van!

Man I live in a major Mtb area and see that time and time again. 5k+ bikes sitting in back of trucks.
Get a van. You will love it.
I hear ya there. tons of people leave 3-5K mountain bikes just hanging out in pickups, not secured at all. The Tacoma in me makes me worried when I leave my $300 fixie outside too long, lol.
I really don't get why people don't value their bikes. If I was a younger man, they would get jacked lol.

Love the Honzo!
Thanks! I love it.

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Sorry it's been a while since an update. I work on a boat, so I only have limited time to work on the van.

I finally got the awning back on:

Camping at Deal's Gap:

Solar Panels:

RV power center and solar controller. I've used this RV power center before in my old teardrop builds. They work great. They charge the batteries, have a 12v fuse panel, as well as a 120v panel:

I've been working on the ceiling:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Awesome, and yeah the old 7.3L is an awesome engine.

Reactions: CaptainBuilt

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

Awesome, and yeah the old 7.3L is an awesome engine.
It is. Sometimes I wish I had a V10, other times no. I have to realize that a engine build may be in my future with the high miles I have. But if she blows, I'm putting in a Cummins.

A little update. I went the ghetto option for AC. It works great. And doesn't look too bad I guess. The AC does it's job, so screw what it looks like lol.

It plugs in right below the RV breaker box. And I don't have to unplug it.

Did a little excursion before I went to work. Toured Gulf Shores, AL and the USS Alabama:

Did I mention I hate the beach?

AC working good in hot ass south Alabama:

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I have the free Carfax account that tells you the last time a shop serviced your vehicle, and the mileage it was at. You can also add service intervals, etc....I was curious about when was the last time my mileage was reported. Bill Walker Tire in Asheville reported at the time of my wheel alignment when I added 4WD, 11/2/18 - 361,819 miles.The last report before that was in 2010. It was reported at 294,146 miles. With the difference of 67,673 miles. It took 8 YEARS. That's an average of 8,500 a year.

Right now I think I'm around 372,000ish miles. My van is my daily driver, and camper, and bike hauler. So it seems like the first few years it took a quick beating, then hasn't since then. I'm always curious about the engine. I'm so high up in miles that it will scare anyone when it comes to resell value, but I wonder how many miles it has left. Honestly, it seems very strong. Nothing wrong with it other than accessories around the engine nickel and dimeing me to death. But I have most of those replaced.

I really wanna bump the hp up some, and add a intercooler.

Reactions: MazeVX

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I hear ya on wanting to run a Cummins. Honestly the only thing I dont like about the Navistars is the injection system. HEUI works amazingly well, until it doesnt. And where as with an old school mechanical injection pump you can replace just the injection pump or nozzle that fails and be good to go, with HEUI if you have an issue the only way to be sure you wont immediately have another issue is the replace the high pressure oil pump, and all injectors. Its a very cool system and works very well, but when things go wrong they really go wrong. But one thing the old 7.3L Navistar has going for it is automatic valve lash adjusters, which is nice especially in a van body.

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

I hear ya on wanting to run a Cummins. Honestly the only thing I dont like about the Navistars is the injection system. HEUI works amazingly well, until it doesnt. And where as with an old school mechanical injection pump you can replace just the injection pump or nozzle that fails and be good to go, with HEUI if you have an issue the only way to be sure you wont immediately have another issue is the replace the high pressure oil pump, and all injectors. Its a very cool system and works very well, but when things go wrong they really go wrong. But one thing the old 7.3L Navistar has going for it is automatic valve lash adjusters, which is nice especially in a van body.
I like the 7.3. I think a Cummins would be cool, but if I sink $$ into the 7.3 with aftermarket turbo, injectors, HPOP, I'll keep the 7.3L and just swap everything over.

I'm buying all the parts now to convert my front clip to a 08+ style. That way I can have the room for a intercooler. If I can get the intercooler to fit (been done before with other vans, not mine.), I'll build my own piping using Tinker's (forum member) method, 3" exhaust pipe.

Right now, the van really runs great. Not even a sign of letting up. It's not even leaking oil yet lol.

I'm going to buckle down and get the rear gears installed. Before I order driveshafts, I need to talk to Chris at UJOR. I'm thinking about bumping up to a 6" lift before I finish 4WD.

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Theriot
Member #

The header panel I need to convert the van to a newer style front cap came in.

I also have the radiator cross bar for the newer style hood, and the headlight buckets. I just need fenders and a hood now.

Here are a few pics of a 2011 Dodge RAM 2500 intercooler shoe horned into a 08+ van.

That guy has a 6.7 Cummins in it. But I plan on going with a 12/24v.

I also need to tackle my rear end squat problem. I have 2 choices, either lift the rear some more with a longer shackle, or go 6", instead of 4" lift.

A 6" lift with 35" would be cooler, but my van is already pretty high up there. Not sure yet what I'm gonna do.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks, 7.3L is the engine I wanted. Since mine is a high mileage van (360k miles), I've had some issues, but nothing major. The only problems I've had is a frozen brake caliper, broken belt tensioner, and now I think the fan clutch is going bad, so I'll be replacing that when I get in.

Here are a few more random pics:

I switched out the stock seats for Toyota Sienna seats, but they're not that comfortable, so I picked up a set of RV Class C seats that are going in.

Quickfist for ax and shovel. Doesn't work with the new lift in. Gonna have to find a new spot for them:

High roof conversion:

And done:

MaxxAir Fan:

Insulation:

I put up wood strips, but didn't work out as planned, same wood, same satin, didn't turn out the same color. Not sure what happened. I have full length strips now, but since I'm installing solar panels, I'm gonna do that first.

This is one BIG project you have started and almost finished. Not many people would take on the 4x4 conversion let alone the body and roof alterations. You certainly look to be qualified and doing a fantastic job. How much time have you sunk into your build ? When do you find time to do so much work ? I really appreciate you showing us your build !

Reactions: CaptainBuilt