Traveler I

Riverside, California 92506, United States
First Name
Trent
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Hey everyone,

New to the group, hoping I can learn as much as I can. I recently installed a Carli 2.5" leveling kit with torsion sway bar and track bar, and added 35" Toyo AT3s + 18" wheels. I have read a lot of differing opinions online about fitting a 35" spare in the spare tire location but it's trending toward no. Any suggestions on bed mounted solutions?

Reactions: Kent R

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I did the same thing went to 35" 18" wheels on my 2500 RAM. I did not do the lift but am thinking about it. I went with the wildpeak AT3 love the tires. The spare does not fit very well and when running hot it is right against the heat shield. I have the Decked system installed and did some through bolts and a piece of unistrut on each side of the decked system to mount my bed rack and my spare tire. I also have built a 2 battery dc/dc charging system with solar power input in a Pelican case that mounts bach there as well. Seems rock solid. If I need to use the truck to haul large things like plywood a few bolts and unload these items and I'm back to hauling. I have looked at many of the options for bumpers and rear mount carriers and they all have flaws and will either break or slam into the tailgate when bouncing down the trail IMO so far. I have converted my factory spare tire area to a housing for a compressor and airtank for onboard air. I am sure this isn't what you wanted to hear neither do I. I am still searching for the "best" solution. A few things I have found that have some potential but a bit pricey to order install and hate. I am in no way associated with these products or the companies. Just some of my own research i am sharing.

Reactions: Thatparkerdude

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I know my 35" spare wouldn't fit in my spare tire location. I thought about putting on roof rack basket, but I couldn't life the tire with rim over my head for the life of me. Ended up with a hitch tire carrier instead. Better for my back. For bed of the truck I like this option - Universal Truck Tire Carrier (addictivedesertdesigns.com)

Neuvik

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Trent
Last Name
W
Member #

They fit on the 2018 Power Wagon, its tight, air it down a bit and beat it in.

Otherwise I rock Expedition One bumper with tire mount.

You mounting location are a bit limited, maybe look at the AEV tire mount, they make good stuff:

rock on!

Edit: here's a picture with the Expedition One
Tire carrier
3047.jpeg

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone,

New to the group, hoping I can learn as much as I can. I recently installed a Carli 2.5" leveling kit with torsion sway bar and track bar, and added 35" Toyo AT3s + 18" wheels. I have read a lot of differing opinions online about fitting a 35" spare in the spare tire location but it's trending toward no. Any suggestions on bed mounted solutions?
Welcome to Overland Bound
You will get more traction in regards to your question if you ask it on one of the build pages.
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I think some heat shield modifications are required, and there is a distance problem between the trailer hitch and rear track bar. I have one on order and the tires stacked up in my garage. One way or another the spare is going under the truck. If I can't get it under the truck after clearancing the heat shield, I'll do some surgery on the trailer hitch. Things I WON'T do, are hang it on the back of the truck, put it in the bed, or put it on top of the truck.
Try this thread at ramforum.com

Reactions: John21powerwagon