4Runner TRD Pro vs Rubicon Unlimited

• HTML tutorial

felixkb76

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Looking to buy a truck to overland in and I can't decide which is "better" of these two. Both are seem great to me with there own pros and cons. I sure could use someone's help.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
There was a thread comparing these exact two running around here the past few weeks, but damned if I can find it. The biggest issue aside from aesthetics and comfort came down to the solid axles of the Rubicon vs. Toyota's independent suspension. IIRC, the Toyota made a better daily driver and had more room, but if you live beyond where the plows go like we do and/or spend a LOT of drive time on trails, the Jeep shines out of the box.

I really wish I could find that thread.

Last edited:

Losttexan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texarkana, Texas
First Name
Kiff
Last Name
Barker
Member #

For what it's worth. I actually own a 15' 4Runner pro and a 16' Rubicon unlimited. They both made their maiden voyage on Black Bear pass in Colorado. They both performed flawlessly. The Rubicon has a 3 1/2" jspec lift with 35's. The TRD pro is stock. I spent 2 weeks in Colorado with both. We did a lot of the trails in the Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride area. I love both vehicles. I would probably lean towards the jeep because there are more options available, especially if you want a lift and larger tires. If you decide on the 4Runner , I wouldn't get the sliding tray in the back. It's kind of flimsy and doesn't slide out very far. Good luck in your decision [emoji16]

Losttexan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Texarkana, Texas
First Name
Kiff
Last Name
Barker
Member #

If durability is what your after the trd pro might be what you want. I bought mine for one of those reasons. It's my wife's daily driver. My neighbors own Toyota's they hardly ever take them to get worked on. They've had them for years, 10+. The pro is my first. I'm not sure on the manual transmission. I have automatics.
I'm not partial to either one. They are both great. Both have pros and cons.
If you need more info I'll be happy to try and answer your questions.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

With the two JKs I've had, I've had no issues with durability. I can't speak for the Toyotas as I have no experience with them. I don't think they come in a manual though, and both JKs I've had are manuals. They are like a tractor manual though. Not the smoothest manual around that's for sure.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

JK has a larger aftermarket, solid front axle, and manual transmission option.

T4R is more reliable hands down. More comfortable/quiet on road. Toyota automatics are pretty bulletproof if you don't mind not rowing your own.

Lol Mike :smile:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
We have both in our club and hands down out of the box the jeep performs better, but that being said the TRD pro is a very comfortable and capable vehicle.
The jeep is more utilitarian and the aftermarket parts are more readily available and usually cheeper.
The TRD Pro aftermarket seems to be expensive at least thats what I get out of talking to the people that are in the middle of building there rigs.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

After having a Jeep (XJ) and friends that have Rubicon's, we are looking to get a TRD pro in the distant future because of the ride quality to travel the country when we retire.