Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

So I went to fire up my truck this morning and it seemed rough. Immediately the CEL came on, along with the TRAC light and a message thar Multi-Terrain was not available. Found my ODB reader and an app and got these three codes:

============1==============
P0303
Raw code: 0303
ECU: Engine control unit
OBDII: Cylinder 3 - misfire detected
Toyota: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

============2==============
P0023
Raw code: 0023
OBDII: Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, exhaust/right/rear, bank 2 - circuit malfunction
Toyota: Camshaft Position Actuator Exhaust/Right/Rear, Bank 2 Circuit Malfunction

============3==============
P1605
Raw code: 1605
OBDII: Keep Alive Memory Test Failure
Toyota: Knock Control CPU Malfunction

The bottom two seem to be a direct consequence of #1.

Under the hood I found a broken cable going into what I can only assume is Cylinder 3 (per the code above). See attached photo:

4RunnerTRDOR2018_cylinder.jpge

Apart from the fact that the cable seems to be originally very short and that it looks suspiciously cut (I don't suspect any foul play though), how easy is this to fix? I obviously don't want to move the car 60 miles to the nearest dealer.

Anyone know the part numbers? I have someone driving up from Atlanta that could bring any needed replacements, if reattaching the cables somehow doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You haven't indicated what vehicle or engine other than it's a Toyota. That would be helpful to anyone who might have parts numbers handy.

- Get the Haynes manual for your vehicle; they're usually quite helpful in diagnosing problems and getting correct names for parts
- Take your pics into a NAPA, O'Reillys, Advance Auto, or whatever parts store you have in your area.

Good luck.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

You haven't indicated what vehicle or engine other than it's a Toyota. That would be helpful to anyone who might have parts numbers handy.
Thanks for bringing this up. It's a 4Runner TRD Off-Road 2018 (I thought I had been clear enough in the title - my bad for assuming so).

Anyway, I'm trying to at least get the cables reconnected and see where I am after that. Can't move the vehicle for now.

I will look into those manuals as well.

Reactions: Road

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

So, fixed that and same codes kept coming up. Did more looking into the engine bay and found an entire chunk of cable missing on the other side. Hypothesis now is some kind of rodent feasted on my harness last night.

Oh well, time to get some more work done.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Well... So I could probably fix this and get the truck running again, but it would be temporary anyway. However, ToyoGuard Platinum came through and will tow the car free of charge to the nearest dealership (55 miles away). So all is well for now, and I should hopefully be back on the road by the weekend.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

So, to wrap this up... my 4Runner is back up and running. The local (one hour away) Toyota dealership (Milton Martin Toyota) did a wonderful job and had my car ready in a day. Total cost of repairs was $395, mostly labor. Now I know which extra spares I need to carry with me just in case this happens again (or in the field!).

One weird thing... before this happened, whenever I filled my tank, the display would show 300 miles range (which wasn't necessarily accurate, as I get almost 400 miles on the highway). But now, after this, when I fill up it reads 419 miles. I'm assuming something is a bit off with all the electric work that went on. I'm due for a service when I return home anyway.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So, to wrap this up... my 4Runner is back up and running. The local (one hour away) Toyota dealership (Milton Martin Toyota) did a wonderful job and had my car ready in a day. Total cost of repairs was $395, mostly labor. Now I know which extra spares I need to carry with me just in case this happens again (or in the field!).

One weird thing... before this happened, whenever I filled my tank, the display would show 300 miles range (which wasn't necessarily accurate, as I get almost 400 miles on the highway). But now, after this, when I fill up it reads 419 miles. I'm assuming something is a bit off with all the electric work that went on. I'm due for a service when I return home anyway.
Your ECU learns your typical fuel economy and calculates distance to empty / range.

I am guessing the battery had to be disconnected and the ECU is now defaulting to a standard distance to empty figure, until it learns your routine.

Amazing the rodents got to such a new vehicle so thoroughly! Glad its sorted out. Did they splice and re-punch the wires into the sockets or get new wiring harness sections?

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Your ECU learns your typical fuel economy and calculates distance to empty / range.

I am guessing the battery had to be disconnected and the ECU is now defaulting to a standard distance to empty figure, until it learns your routine.

Amazing the rodents got to such a new vehicle so thoroughly! Glad its sorted out. Did they splice and re-punch the wires into the sockets or get new wiring harness sections?
They had to put in new sections (and new terminals) as in some areas the rodent chewed off the entire wire (I actually found the entire wire chunk stuffed behind the battery).

And yes, battery was disconnected for this. However, since I bought this car (new) I've only seen one number when I fill my tank (it never seems to learn). I'll see what happens now.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Chipmunks did the same to our 2018 4Runner, first time $650, second time despite taking precautions, $3K. Called insurance the second time.....now the 4Runner lives in the garage full time!

Reactions: cgranier