4R Suspensions?

• HTML tutorial

Biggfreddy55

Rank 0

Contributor I

Checking around I see there are many options as far as suspension / lift kits ect.
I notice when I purchased my 4Runner the dealer offered 3" lift kits. After checking them out they looked to be level kits.
Is that a good option or whats everyone think is the way to go? Also tires, whats everyone like?
Thanks

2infinity&beyond

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Livermore, CA
Member #

Depends on what you are planning on doing with the truck and budget. Tons of good options but I do tend to steer people away from the spacer lift unless it will be for looks only. 5100s all the way to Kings it truly is your call.

Provide a little more info and I would recommend sitting down and planning your build and how far you want to take it. That way you don't do things twice.

As for tires. I can't wait to try the new ridge grappler from Nitto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biggfreddy55

Rank 0

Contributor I

Thanks, I had Nitto Tera Graplers on my last truck with no issues. The 4Runner is a daily driver for the most part, there are soooo many lifts to pick from.. I will definitely have to do some homework ..
Thanks

Cannon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grovetown, GA
Member #

5100's up front, with one of the many rear springs and long travel shocks in the rear is a great way to go. Not terrible on the wallet, while increasing your travel.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4randal

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Let's start by what year is your 4runner? Stay within 3" to keep suspension, ride quality, and manners happy.

Look into lift like Toytec, Fox, King, and Icon. Do it right the first time.

And I suggest staying away from any spacers, RC lifts (there is a reason why they have "rough" in the name), fabtec, and procomp stuff.

On tires, if you are wait a little longer the BFG KM3s will be out. But for a AT look into KO2s

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Biggfreddy55

Rank 0

Contributor I

Lots of great info guys thanks, I just came across Icons and Toytecs sites. Crazy the amount of kits offered . Yeah I dont see me putting any money in a spacer kit.. You can definitely see the trends and styles aftermarket parts on line . Looking to do quality upgrades so it will be a work in progress. Lots to do !!

4randal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Worth, TX
Member #

I've got an ICON lift on my 4runner which I'm very happy with. Like ToyotaPro mentioned, Old Man Emu, Fox, Toytec and a bunch of others have great kits as well.

When I purchased the vehicle it had a a cheap spacer lift similar to what a dealer would install and I can tell you the handling and ride were terrible with larger tires. Its my opinion -- from having had both -- you're better off keeping the stock suspension and waiting to get a complete suspension with control arms than going the cheap route. You'll be much happier in the long run.

The ONLY reason i could ever see putting on a spacer lift would be if you absolutely had to replace tires and you wanted to upgrade the tire size before you could invest in a proper lift.

Check out the 4Runner build threads on OB and lift threads on toyota-4runner.org.

For a daily driver BF KO2s are hard to beat.

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

Just to add to this: I installed a Toytec (3" front/2" rear) spacer/rear coil lift with Bilstein 5100's in the rear. At the time, I hadn't really considered that I'd want to build our 4Runner into an overlanding rig. Adding things like bumpers, winch, rooftop tent and other gear will add a lot of weight, so a spacer lift isn't going to cut it. I'm already looking at doing a suspension upgrade in the very near future to accommodate the increased weight. In addition to Icon kits (which are excellent) also check out the OME (ARB) BP-51's. I keep bouncing back and forth between the two, but currently leaning more toward the BP-51's. Either would serve well.

Also, the BFG KO'2 are definitely great on and offroad. That's what I'm currently running and have been very happy with them. When they wear out, I may run KM2's or KM3's (when available), simply because of the ever-present mud in rainy Oregon.

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

I still don't think we know what generation 4Runner you have OP - but I can relay the great advice given here!

As they say, buy once cry once. Give it some time and get used to driving your rig and figure out what you really want to do with it and how far you want to go. There are so many great options out there including Toytec/Fox/King/Icon etc. Another thing to consider is proximity to a well respected dealer/company. When/if something goes awry you want to have a company with a great reputation you can count on!

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

I still don't think we know what generation 4Runner you have OP - but I can relay the great advice given here!

As they say, buy once cry once. Give it some time and get used to driving your rig and figure out what you really want to do with it and how far you want to go. There are so many great options out there including Toytec/Fox/King/Icon etc. Another thing to consider is proximity to a well respected dealer/company. When/if something goes awry you want to have a company with a great reputation you can count on!
Amen to that: "buy once, cry once"

I neglected to mention King & Fox, also great options. And definitely cannot exclude Toytec. Their Boss kits are very nice. The choices are overwhelming, but good to have. :)

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I've done a ton of research and am thinking about the Sonoran kit. It's putting tundra Springs on the front and LC wraps on the back. Then going with Bilsteins for shocks. Read good lift, minimal sag, and smooth ride. Cost is about right. I'd love to have Icon, or King, just can't swing that price. Suspension would be more than rest of the rig. I have a 99 SR5 by the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: pdxplorer15

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Then a Toytec boss system is what you want. Save for it and you will be a lot happier.
- Their coil set up front, and Toytec super flex springs with their shocks rear.

- One things to consider is getting the little stuff at the same time. The coils come present at 2.5" up front, so order the diff drop spacer. For sway bar links do a quick google search, you will need longer ones but they can be found from other years 4runners. Rear track bar drop bracket (weld in) or get an adjustable bar.
- Extended front and rear brake lines.
- You will also want to extend your bump stops specially on the rear, toytec also has those, it make the own, I did.

- once you install any lift on a toyota you will notice the upper ball joint is not happy with the angles. Camburg has a new front upper control arm with included ball joint on a better angle. Those will run you ~$550 for the set. You can wait to install these after putting some fun miles on your 4runner but keep them in mind as a needed upgrade.

I've done lots of different lifts on all year 4runners and tacomas, you really do benefit from a vehicle specific designed set up and doing most of it at once.
It's what I did with my 01 once it came down to do lift and maintenance.

I should add that the lower ball joint is a known failure part of its the original. So replace it asap (with a toyota one) if you think it is.

cam_toyota_tech

Reactions: pdxplorer15

Biggfreddy55

Rank 0

Contributor I

I agree Jaydub & Pdxlorer, Its all going to add up so I plan on doing it right... I do like the ICON set ups, good reviews and good feedback on here also. Plus alot of great others.. Sorry I have a gen 5 4Runner trail ,it replaced a F350 4x4 thats been a night and day difference. I had Nittos on it and had good luck with , that why I was asking about tires.. Ive noticed a few people run 1.25 wheel spaces on there rigs, Is there a reason they dont get the offset there looking for when they replace the wheels?
Again thanks for all the great feedback !!

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

I agree Jaydub & Pdxlorer, Its all going to add up so I plan on doing it right... I do like the ICON set ups, good reviews and good feedback on here also. Plus alot of great others.. Sorry I have a gen 5 4Runner trail ,it replaced a F350 4x4 thats been a night and day difference. I had Nittos on it and had good luck with , that why I was asking about tires.. Ive noticed a few people run 1.25 wheel spaces on there rigs, Is there a reason they dont get the offset there looking for when they replace the wheels?
Again thanks for all the great feedback !!
Awesome- we've got quite a few 5th gens here :)

Can't go wrong with Icon, a great choice all around. For wheel spacers I've seen more people do it on stock wheels- mainly the trd pro wheels to give the truck a wider stance. Most of the aftermarket wheel options already come in a more aggressive width/offset so there isn't really much need for the spacers. A downside for them as well as that you open yourself up for more potential for rubbing issues and possibly slightly increased wear on drivetrain components.

The general consensus is that if you stick with 265/275 for stock height you will be ok, and the go to size for a mild lift is 285s. If you add in spacers though it changes it up quite a bit and the rubbing tolerances get smaller.

Reactions: MBroenkow

Blackwell

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler II

Peace River, Alberta
Member #

I've been running an Old Man Emu setup for over 2 years now and have been very happy with it. It's very basic and does the job. I went with heavy coils up front (steel bumper/winch) and mediums for the rear. It carries weight, absorbs the bumps and there's no adjusting or rebuilding.

I put in the Camburg UCA's (ball-joints) about a year ago and they've held up well. That being said, I'm getting a terrible squeak from them in these cold temperatures. Been communicating with Camburg this morning, trying to resolve the issue. It could be the Amsoil grease I'm using. Not knocking the Camburg's at all, at least yet lol.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I've been running an Old Man Emu setup for over 2 years now and have been very happy with it. It's very basic and does the job. I went with heavy coils up front (steel bumper/winch) and mediums for the rear. It carries weight, absorbs the bumps and there's no adjusting or rebuilding.

I put in the Camburg UCA's (ball-joints) about a year ago and they've held up well. That being said, I'm getting a terrible squeak from them in these cold temperatures. Been communicating with Camburg this morning, trying to resolve the issue. It could be the Amsoil grease I'm using. Not knocking the Camburg's at all, at least yet lol.
Most of the time we get a bushing noise form the front end is from installation or maintenance issues.
Someone will either tighten or torque the arm/strut/uniball bolts with the vehicle in the air during install...or they grease the outer part of the bushing trying to get them installed in the arm. Both of those are a no.

Not saying that's your case, but we have head great success with Icon, Tc, and Camburg arms when installed and maintained correctly

cam_toyota_tech

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

I've got an ICON lift on my 4runner which I'm very happy with. Like ToyotaPro mentioned, Old Man Emu, Fox, Toytec and a bunch of others have great kits as well.

When I purchased the vehicle it had a a cheap spacer lift similar to what a dealer would install and I can tell you the handling and ride were terrible with larger tires. Its my opinion -- from having had both -- you're better off keeping the stock suspension and waiting to get a complete suspension with control arms than going the cheap route. You'll be much happier in the long run.

The ONLY reason i could ever see putting on a spacer lift would be if you absolutely had to replace tires and you wanted to upgrade the tire size before you could invest in a proper lift.

Check out the 4Runner build threads on OB and lift threads on toyota-4runner.org.

For a daily driver BF KO2s are hard to beat.
As someone on Icon stage two with KO2's.... I would priority Ko2 first, and then get whatever suspension your budget allows. Icon is the top, but I've been happy with Fox in the past. best of luck!

hellachris

Rank IV
Launch Member

Benefactor

Renton, WA
Member #

As someone on Icon stage two with KO2's.... I would priority Ko2 first, and then get whatever suspension your budget allows. Icon is the top, but I've been happy with Fox in the past. best of luck!
TheAdventureIndex, did you go with oem sized KO2's on your oem wheels on stock suspension before going with the Icon stage twos or did you go with different sized wheels and bigger tires? I did the latter (17x8 Pro Comp Series 51 and K02 265/70/17) and the fronts were rubbing like crazy. I thought I could get away with going up 1.09" in overall diameter with the 17"/KO2 combo over the stock 18" with 265/60/18 wheels & tires. I thought wrong. Hehehe

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=265-60r18-265-70r17

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex