48 Hrs Free - Ideas heading out from LAX

• HTML tutorial

Dave Rooney

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oakville - Canada
Member #

I have a few days free before a work commitment and would love to take the opportunity to explore out west. I fly in to LAX mid-April and will pick up a Tacoma - with 2 days to burn before I have to be in Anaheim. Any suggestions on where to go, things to see and most importantly the best free desert camping sites?? Go.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Depends on your timeline to be honest. The shining star would be Death Valley but that would take you a solid 1/2 day to get out there assuming you didn’t land during rush hour traffic, and 1/2 day to come back. Wouldn’t be the worst idea, it would just limit your trip to only that site.

There are closer areas within 2-3 hours of LAX: Lucerne, Johnson Valley, Anza Borrego.

Another option is Rasor Rd. My family makes a yearly trip to this remote spot just outside Baker, CA. It has the typical dry desert landscape, sand dunes, Afton Canyon, and is within driving distance of the famous lava tubes along the Old Mohave Rd. as well as the famous Kelso Dunes.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OB SD

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Beaumont, CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Lucerne or Johnson valley are great options. Soggy dry lake is a fun place for free. You also have areas around Joshua tree too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

OB SD

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Beaumont, CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Butler
Member #

I have a few days free before a work commitment and would love to take the opportunity to explore out west. I fly in to LAX mid-April and will pick up a Tacoma - with 2 days to burn before I have to be in Anaheim. Any suggestions on where to go, things to see and most importantly the best free desert camping sites?? Go.
Dave where did you end up going?

Reactions: Trailaholic

Dave Rooney

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oakville - Canada
Member #

Nevermind, I just noticed the "mid April" part of your comment. Let us know where you go? The weather should be nice in April.

Certainly will. Soggy Lake looks like a great option. I have heard that April can be busy in that part of the world. Either looking forward to a few days of exploring that part of the world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

OB SD

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Beaumont, CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Certainly will. Soggy Lake looks like a great option. I have heard that April can be busy in that part of the world. Either looking forward to a few days of exploring that part of the world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app
It can be. There are off road and rock crawling events in that area all year round. The area is vast though. I've never had an issue finding an area for camping. I stick to BLM (Burea of land managment) land. Also, Publiclands.org is a great site.

Another fun place I was just told about is Eagle mountain, CA. It's to the South East of Joshua tree national park. Apparently it's an abandoned mining town. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to check it out!