Member #

Reactions: M Rose

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not sure what your budget is currently but there are a couple of aftermarket options that should work better.
I have a friend who just did this on his XJ and used the Azzy parts. For the cost of finding the parts new or even used to still have a poorly designed non adjustable unit, he was money ahead just getting the aftermarket part.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Aftermarket gets my vote too.

But if you can post up pics on the pieces you need I may have them laying around here. I pulled all that out when I went with Boostwerks linkage, but I didn't throw it away. Just a question of whether or not I can lay hands on the pieces you need.

(Note: My linkage was behind an AX-15. I don't know but what that might make a difference. )

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

But if you can post up pics on the pieces you need I may have them laying around here. I pulled all that out when I went with Boostwerks linkage, but I didn't throw it away. Just a question of whether or not I can lay hands on the pieces you need.

(Note: My linkage was behind an AX-15. I don't know but what that might make a difference. )
Thank you, How do you like the Boostwerks? I was reading on another site people didn’t like the Boostwerks or the Azzy’s. They said they tended to bind.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Not sure what my transmission is.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Thank you, How do you like the Boostwerks? I was reading on another site people didn’t like the Boostwerks or the Azzy’s. They said they tended to bind.
I love it. Very clean shifting.

WRT binding, I would ask exactly what those folks who have trouble are running for motor/trans mounts. I am running Brown Dog motor mounts (including the full block plates) and an SFR trans mount. My engine and trans are very solidly located. Worn out factory rubber would be another story. I think that is where the problems come in with the aftermarket linkage. The factory linkage is sloppy as can be, but that means it can cope with sloppy engine/trans mounts. Take out the slop and suddenly you need to hold tighter tolerances elsewhere too. Kinda like tuning up a 1911. The nice ones won't work so well after you drag them through the mud a few times.

As to transmission types, the AX-15 is a 5 speed manual. Jeep switched from the AX-15 to the NV3500 in 2000 (I think). If you have a manual transmission you would want to check to be sure which one you have. If you have an automatic then you have the AW4.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I ordered the Azzy’s linkage. Now I’ll have to find a place to install it.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I went with the Azzy’S design. Just got the Jeep back. 4WD is working but the part time light isn’t coming on.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
There is a switch on the T-case. It could be as simple as the plug not being properly seated on the switch. Or perhaps the switch could be bad. Not a high likelihood, but theoretically possible.

Those would be the simple things to check and diagnose. Potentially more challenging would be wiring damaged in the process of the engine replacement.

I suppose the bulb could be out. The likelihood of that is probably up there with the switch itself going bad. But it could happen. The bulb that tells me I am low on wiper fluid finally went out. But then again, that particular bulb had been "on" for several years, so it had reason to burn out. I took it as a case of my Jeep fixing itself. But, unless previous owners spent a lot of time in 4wd that is a less likely scenario for your situation.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

There is a switch on the T-case. It could be as simple as the plug not being properly seated on the switch. Or perhaps the switch could be bad. Not a high likelihood, but theoretically possible.

Those would be the simple things to check and diagnose. Potentially more challenging would be wiring damaged in the process of the engine replacement.

I suppose the bulb could be out. The likelihood of that is probably up there with the switch itself going bad. But it could happen. The bulb that tells me I am low on wiper fluid finally went out. But then again, that particular bulb had been "on" for several years, so it had reason to burn out. I took it as a case of my Jeep fixing itself. But, unless previous owners spent a lot of time in 4wd that is a less likely scenario for your situation.
Thank you, I’ll check that out. It could possibly be from the engine being replaced. Not sure if the job was done right. Now getting a gas smell upon start up.