Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Unfortunately with my back post 2 surgeries I’m not able to lie down to check out my linkage on my Cherokee. My question is which would be better to send it too. A transmission place or the dealer. I would rather have someone help me but no one near me to help. Hoping in the spring my back will be better to work on the Jeep but unfortunately I need the 4 wheel drive.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Any local Jeep Clubs who might lend a hand ?

A transmission shop vs dealer.... either one NEEDS references.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Can’t find any local Jeep clubs near me. Will try and find a transmission place. Thank you. I know it’s a stupid question. I want to work on the Jeep and learn how to do things but can’t physically at the moment.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Maybe I missed it, but do you have any more info on what seems to be the issue?
I’m sorry I thought I had put what the issue is. When you pull the shifter up there is no resistance and the 4 wheel light doesn’t come on.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

But does it shift in and out of 4WD ?
No it doesn’t shift in or out of 4WD. The previous owner put another engine in the Jeep. Would he have had to disconnect the transfer case when he did that? I have so much to learn.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I'd say the dealer is your best bet, not knowing. If you have a crappy dealer an independent garage that you trust is also your friend. A quick Google search shows the closest off road shop to you is quite a bit away from you.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

I'd say the dealer is your best bet, not knowing. If you have a crappy dealer an independent garage that you trust is also your friend. A quick Google search shows the closest off road shop to you is quite a bit away from you.
The dealer near us seems as honest as a dealer can be. There isn’t any off road shop near me.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
There are a lot of independent garages in your area with great reviews on both google and yelp. Dealerships are known to gouge prices on both parts and labor. Labor at a dealership can be up to 2 times that of an independent shop.
R&S Automotive http://www.rsautorepairs.com/ may not be a 4x4 shop, but if they are a plow dealer, they have to have better than a fair understanding how 4 wheel drive systems work. They also specialize in engine and transmission swaps.
From my quick google search they would be my first choice to have this issue checked out. more than likely the linkage came unhooked from either the shifter, or the transfer case. The NP231 and NP242 (the 231 was standardmand the 242 was an option) werr not known for not shifting into 4x4. They have thier problems, but shifting reliability isnt one of them.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It sounds like the linkage is not even connected. Hopefully a very simple fix, although there is probably a pin or clip missing.

If there is any problem trying to find pieces to fix this then it may be a wise choice to step up to a better linkage system. I am running Boostwerks' version. I know there is at least one other alternative. These designs are much simpler than the factory design and generally work better. The only downside to them is that I don't think they will cope so well with worn out motor/transmission mounts. The OE design has so much play in it that your mounts can be totally shot and it should not care. If your motor was just replaced then it should have good mounts, but that assumes a degree of integrity on the part of the installer, and if he couldn't be bothered to hook up the shift linkage properly the assumption may not be safe. You will need to make some assessments.

WRT a Jeep club, take a look at NAXJA. They have regional chapters. I believe you would be in the North Atlantic Chapter (NAC). You may find there is someone local to you there.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

There are a lot of independent garages in your area with great reviews on both google and yelp. Dealerships are known to gouge prices on both parts and labor. Labor at a dealership can be up to 2 times that of an independent shop.
R&S Automotive http://www.rsautorepairs.com/ may not be a 4x4 shop, but if they are a plow dealer, they have to have better than a fair understanding how 4 wheel drive systems work. They also specialize in engine and transmission swaps.
From my quick google search they would be my first choice to have this issue checked out. more than likely the linkage came unhooked from either the shifter, or the transfer case. The NP231 and NP242 (the 231 was standardmand the 242 was an option) werr not known for not shifting into 4x4. They have thier problems, but shifting reliability isnt one of them.
Thank you for this link. I’ve driven by this garage many times. I called them and the person who does the work won’t be back for a couple of hours. He is busy with snow plow repairs. Maybe tomorrow I’ll stop by with the Jeep and and ask.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

It sounds like the linkage is not even connected. Hopefully a very simple fix, although there is probably a pin or clip missing.

If there is any problem trying to find pieces to fix this then it may be a wise choice to step up to a better linkage system. I am running Boostwerks' version. I know there is at least one other alternative. These designs are much simpler than the factory design and generally work better. The only downside to them is that I don't think they will cope so well with worn out motor/transmission mounts. The OE design has so much play in it that your mounts can be totally shot and it should not care. If your motor was just replaced then it should have good mounts, but that assumes a degree of integrity on the part of the installer, and if he couldn't be bothered to hook up the shift linkage properly the assumption may not be safe. You will need to make some assessments.

WRT a Jeep club, take a look at NAXJA. They have regional chapters. I believe you would be in the North Atlantic Chapter (NAC). You may find there is someone local to you there.
I’ll try NAXJA again. I had asked a few questions about the Jeep and got a couple of nasty messages about asking questions. I’ll try them again.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Jeepmedic46 you might try your questions over at http://ww.jeepforum.com once registered go to the Cherokee/Comanche sub forum, the guys there are more like us.... meaning very few flamers.... I used to be a regular over there with the same screen name. Lokk up "Projext Xj Overland" for my last xj build I did before moving back into the full size world.

IdahoMorts

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Mortimer
Member #

+1 on the broken linkage. I had a '96 XJ and replaced the motor in it as well. The linkage for the T-case was simple and could've easily come undone or maybe wasn't put back together after the install?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

@Jeepmedic46 you might try your questions over at http://ww.jeepforum.com once registered go to the Cherokee/Comanche sub forum, the guys there are more like us.... meaning very few flamers.... I used to be a regular over there with the same screen name. Lokk up "Projext Xj Overland" for my last xj build I did before moving back into the full size world.
Thank you, I’ll check that site out and look at your build.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Found out what the problem is. The linkage came apart and can’t be fixed. Because the vehicle is so old the part isn’t available anymore.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You will have to search eBay or call Junk Yards. Junk Yards are going to be your number 1 source for parts on your XJ.

You might make a WTB post on here along with at NAXJA. A member might have one, also there are a lot of guys out there that scrounge the scrap yards on a daily basis just looking for parts to help those of us that don’t have good yards in our area.

Which transfer case do you have?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

You will have to search eBay or call Junk Yards. Junk Yards are going to be your number 1 source for parts on your XJ.

You might make a WTB post on here along with at NAXJA. A member might have one, also there are a lot of guys out there that scrounge the scrap yards on a daily basis just looking for parts to help those of us that don’t have good yards in our area.

Which transfer case do you have?
The transfer case is a NP 231. They said the bracket needs to be replaced as well. Where would I make a WTB post here?