• HTML tutorial

Huck

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Romeoville
Member #

I by no means want to jack your thread bud. But i have a question that maybe you or someone else can answer. might help you if you haven't thought about it.

Food - Cooking specifically. whats your plan? i cant find too much information about open fires on BLM land.
Im looking at a cooks partner stove, but also like the snowpeak carry fireplace.
I like that it folds small and has several accessories. just not sure if something like this with fire wood base is ok for BLM camping.

Theoretician

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tijeras, NM
Member #

Are you open to having someone tag along? July-Aug of 2018 might be open enough for me to accompany you on the whole trip (outside of going to yuma - I live in the ABQ NM area so I'd probably hook up with you at the campsite near Gila Cliff Dwellings for example). I can't promise at this point, but this is the kind of trip that I've been itching to do since I got my truck.

2180miles

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wake Forest, NC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McKee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1TXO
Exceptional detail in your planning. After a 7,000 mile Trans-Canada overland trip last summer, I've been looking at doing the Colorado portion of the CDT this summer. I've had the GPX files for quite a while now and have looked over them, but not as extensively yet. It seems you're putting the perfect amount of effort in from a rig/trailer standpoint and mapping.

Look forward to following along with there set of your pre-production. I might ask a few questions if we move forward with heading west, if that's OK.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Looks like this will be an amazing trip. Over on Expedition Portal they have a Retired Old Farts group that does a lot of trips together. Here lately I've been thinking there needs to be a Chase The Light photographer's group someplace. Where the trips are similar to what you are planning here, a flexible route and very flexible time line.

July is not that far off, how's the trailer coming along?

Looking forward to following your trip.

On a side note, I spent 2 years in Bagram (2003-2005) and lots of time out at various FOBs.

Reactions: Boort

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

View attachment 50238

I’ll be home in June and again in October. I plan on outfitting the truck in June and do a short shakedown trip, maybe to the 5 big parks in Utah. Then in October possibly make a run at the Divide. I’m a little worried it will be too late in the season. I’ll have to watch snowfall levels in the upper elevations and see if I can make it through. I have alternate plans if that’s an issue.

P.S. You’d be surprised how much Bagram has changed.
As soon as I saw the pic of the Taco pop up I was like, there goes the Colorado and trailer! lol

October will kill almost all of your CO route, especially the stuff in the south west (Ouray) part of the state. A lot of those trails get snowed in starting in early Sept.

That is what the first section of Cinnamon Pass looked like in mid Sept back in 2014. The trails was completely snowed in about another 100 yards up.

I've check Bagram out on Google satellite images a few times over the years and it has change dramatically. Back when I was there, the only thing on the west side of the strip was land mines and an old Soviet boneyard for planes. Hell, we were still getting hit multiple times a week at night back then.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Personally, I'd push it back. The high country in CO is to awesome to miss out on. Baja in Oct sounds night though!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

The TAT would be awesome, looking forward to your trip report regardless of which one you end up doing.

Reactions: Blank